PDA

View Full Version : URGENT BOGUS OFSTED CALLS MUST READ

honey
10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
: Fw: Beware urgent Bogus Ofsted calls

To all and please pass on,

I was talking to one of my mentee's this afternoon and she brought this to my attention, I am letting you all know and thought it should be passed on to other childminders.

Today she received a call from 'OFSTED' who asked her a few questions regarding what children and ages etc she looked after, this didn't sound right to her and said she said she would ring OFSTED back in a minute with the details, they then tried to give her a phone number but she said I have my own OFSTED number in which she rang once putting the phone down, they have NO record of this and have confirmed they would not ask such questions.

Just something I think we should all be aware of.

nat1664
10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
OH MY GOD....I have just had one of these calls ...just asked this question in another thread.

I didnt give out any names or DOB ....My days getting better by the minuite!!

Nat

x

berkschick
10-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Blimey, what is he world coming too?

Good job she was on the ball. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Love

Debbie

Blaze
10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for this...will pass it on!
Tasha:)

miffy
10-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I had a call from Ofsted just before Christmas and she did ask me if I was minding children who were not related to me and what age they were

I was so concerned when I read these posts that I've just called Ofsted.

Whilst my inspector is genuine, Ofsted have said to call them if you are at all unsure the person you are talking to isn't genuine

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Why are they doing this ???

It is terrible thankyou for letting us know

Angel xx

miffy
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Why are they doing this ???

It is terrible thankyou for letting us know

Angel xx

That is something I would prefer not to think about

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 11:21 AM
If you are running around busy got kids screaming etc etc and Ofted ring you are really going to expect it to be them - you would not even stand there thinking it was someone else would you?

Angel xx

miffy
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
No you wouldn't - which is why i rang Ofsted to check the one who phoned me was genuine.

She rang on 21/12 just as i came in from tesco's so i dropped shopping and grabbed phone - whilst i didn't give away any personal details I did tell her the age range of the children and the days I worked! So you can see why I was worried

Miffy xx

honey
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
i think it will be a good idea to get the persons name when they phone and a contact number and then tell them you will ring them back with the relevant info. Then you can make sure they are who they say they are. but i'm sure you all will anyway.

ajs
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
i've got shivers done my spine reading this

miffy
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
That's good advice Honey - I was pleased I'd asked if the person who called me was an inspector and then her name - it made it easy for Ofsted to check when I phoned them

Miffy xx

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
My god what is the world coming too, good advice from honey regarding getting their name etc

xxx

charleyfarley
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

Great idea to say you'll phone them back with info

Carol xx

oakie dokie
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
thankyou for this what area are you in? may be if we gather that info we can see if they are targeting one area or all, thanks theresa

hazelx

son77
10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for letting me know about this.

I am due an inspection any day so I would of never even questioned such a phone call.

Will be more wary now.

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Dont let anyone else in your house give any information either

You might be doing a school run and they call - whoever is at home might give them the information thinking they are helping you ( if they know the information of course )
My hubby knows my kids and their ages and he is hopless when it comes to the phone so I am def going to warn him

Angel xx

miffy
10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Good point Angel

Miffy xx

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
thankyou for this what area are you in? may be if we gather that info we can see if they are targeting one area or all, thanks theresa

hazelx

Thanks hazel but i can't take the credit :D thankfully honey let us know

xxx

chubbymummy
10-01-2008, 01:40 PM
thanks honey i will pass this on to other minders i know!!!!!! :angry:

sarah707
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks honey!

TBH when the phone rings in the day it's not often I answer it... I'm too busy! If I do I often say I'll ring people back later when it's quiet... maybe that's the best thing to do after all...

:D

ruby
10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
thank you honey
it's a bit worrying good advise about taking name and calling back will pass inofrmation on

thank you cathy and rachel

carolinel
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
thanks for letting us know. will be aware now. if someone had called me and said it was ofsted and i was busy, i woulnd't have even questioned it.

Spangles
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Was the call reported to the police? They may be able to look at phone records and trace it?

deeb66
10-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks honey!

TBH when the phone rings in the day it's not often I answer it... I'm too busy! If I do I often say I'll ring people back later when it's quiet... maybe that's the best thing to do after all...

:D

I am like Sarah....I very rarely answer my home phone during the day as important people have got my mobile number.....including Ofsted.

Will definately pass this information on to all childminders that I know

Thank you

janet
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
i am horrrified reading this thanks for the advice:)

LittleMissSparkles
12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
thank you this is horrifying xxx

LittleAcorns
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Scarey hey, I rarely answer my phone either as to many kids around, most people I want to speak to ring my mobile anyhoo, but i have had a call from Ofsted asking if i was minding, how may children and if they wre full time or part time.....BUT the call came through on my mobile, I recognised the number, sad person I am xx

Rubybubbles
14-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for letting us know this honey, very on the ball!

Ofsted phone me on my moblie too (well they did when I had 'the phone call' in Dec 2005!!

I never really answer the phone either, I figure if it's someone who wants to talk to me they will then try me on my moblie!

Banana
16-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you for this!

Very valuable information! I will pass on to other minders in my area

xxx

Lincsminder
16-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Ive got a feeling in a few weeks time we are going to see an article in the papers accusing childminders of putting children's saftey as risk. eg

"We phoned 100 minders and 80 of them gave out details of their minded childrens names and ages."

I hope I am wrong.
Caroline

LittleMissSparkles
16-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Ive got a feeling in a few weeks time we are going to see an article in the papers accusing childminders of putting children's saftey as risk. eg

"We phoned 100 minders and 80 of them gave out details of their minded childrens names and ages."

I hope I am wrong.
Caroline

Hello Caroline welcome to the forum x

Lincsminder
16-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Sorry I really should of introduced my self first but I got a bit carried away answering posts.
Caroline

ma7ie
16-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I had a phone call just before christmas from a man who said he was from Ofsted, asking how many children I minded and on what days. I think it was genuine because he knew I was due my inspection anytime now and he said someone would be in touch shortly.

I didn't give any personal information to him but it's made me think.

Very worrying.

Marie :(

miffy
16-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Sorry I really should of introduced my self first but I got a bit carried away answering posts.
Caroline

Don't worry about it, just shows how addictive the forum is :laughing:

Miffy xx

jo f
16-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks
I'm due a call in the near future- I will be grilling them!!!!

Trouble
16-01-2008, 11:08 PM
ive warned the ones in my group up here, and they like to gossip so i wont have to tell anyone else:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
17-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Just catching up on this one will pass it on to my other childminding friends I am seeing them today so will tell them.

Thanks

Lorraine xx

Twinkles
17-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Have passed this on to a few but as someone else has said we all do like to chat , it will be common knowledge soon.