PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clarify this for me...

hannahsstar
21-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me where we stand with the mindees with regard to time out. I have never used this technique with minded children before but I now have a child who is pushing the limits and my patients!! Their mum has told me to time them out if i need to but don't know whether I am allowed to do it or does Ofsted class time out as 'singling out a child'

Janet

aims
21-08-2008, 07:26 PM
The Ofsted inspector seemed pleased when I said I would use time out (and do do with my own daughter at the moment). She was keen to point out that they don't like it being called the naughty step and prefer it to be more centered on removing the child from the situation and getting them to consider their actions rather than it being used as a punishment.

Someone else with much more experience that me may be able to answer you better though, but I hope this helps.

Amy x

hannahsstar
21-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks Amy

elaineg
21-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I use time out, but I was told to call it reflection time by an inspector as it sounded better than being told they were naughty.

love Elaine XXX

balloon
21-08-2008, 07:36 PM
At my pre-reg inspection, the inspector told me they didn't like time out. She said 'time away' was ok, but I should never use the same spot to place them or the other children would soon catch on and call it the naughty chair/stair/cushion/spot etc and that wasn't allowed.

I'm a bit confused as to why one inspector would say its a no-no and another like it so maybe its down to regions or individual inspectors rather than and out and out rule?

Spangles
21-08-2008, 07:41 PM
How about saying

"If you do ........... once more I will have no alternative than to provide you with

'some quality moments to yourself in a quiet area, yet not in a singled-out way, to contemplate what has just happened and why this behaviour might be interpretted as negative and to the detriment of those around you and why it is therefore not acceptable to behave in this way as opposed to 'time out' which means the same and is a lot easier to say but is obviously highly offensive and inappropriate or Ofsted would not have a problem with it."

Ha ha!

son77
21-08-2008, 07:43 PM
How about saying

"If you do ........... once more I will have no alternative than to provide you with

'some quality moments to yourself in a quiet area, yet not in a singled-out way, to contemplate what has just happened and why this behaviour might be interpretted as negative and to the detriment of those around you and why it is therefore not acceptable to behave in this way as opposed to 'time out' which means the same and is a lot easier to say but is obviously highly offensive and inappropriate or Ofsted would not have a problem with it."

Ha ha!

Thats a great way of dealing with it!!

By the time you have finished talking to the child they will have got bored with you & probably be asleep on the floor.

Result!!

Spangles
21-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Result! That's perfect isn't it! Ha ha!

Spangles
21-08-2008, 07:49 PM
We could use the same approach for so many things like when they ask to watch tv, instead of purely saying 'no' you could say

'unfortunately now is not the appropriate time to be viewing the television set. The programmes that are currently being offered are unsuitable for a child of your age. Also, it has been scientifically proven that if children watch too much television the next generations' legs will become shorter and arms will merely comprise of short stubs with a finger and thumb for remote control use. I can see that this is worrying you and hence believe that you can see my point'.

By then they will be filled with bewilderment, think you are odd and leave the room sharpish to go and colour or something more constructive!

Job done!

LisaH
21-08-2008, 08:15 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :laughing: :laughing:

bubbly
21-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a naughty step and call it exactly that. My mindee is used to it being called a naughty step at home so at least I'm providing continuity of care :laughing:

cloud9
21-08-2008, 09:36 PM
How about saying

Ha ha!

I love it you bought a tear to my eye with laughter!!!:ROFL1:

sarah707
Lorri you are inspired tonight! :D

charleyfarley
I only ever tried the naughty step with Charley once but as we have open stairs(slats) she could still see the tv which was the problem.

Then the next day she chose to sit there :panic:

I've always done time out and it does seem to work , Ofsted seemed ok with this as I was just removing the child from the situation

Carol xx

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2008, 05:05 AM
I have time out but where ever the children are (if it is safe) otherwise we use the table.

I generally sit them for a minute and then discuss their behaviour.

I have one mum who is a teacher and she uses the stair at home and has asked me to continue this which I rarely have to do.

Debbie

Hannahlg
22-08-2008, 08:10 AM
well ours sit on the bottom of the steps now and all parents are happy with this as thats where are put at home when been naught

but if where outside there dont sit on steo there jsut sit inside the playroom

before we jsut used to sit them out but where there sat there could still se us and the other children so there wasnt bothred

but once have a sat for a few mins we do tell talk to them about what there did wrong etc

Mollymop
22-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I use time out - I don't call it that though, i tell them to sit on the settee and think about what they have done and then to tell me when they are ready to talk about it. It usually send the child to tears, but it works.

Nicki L
22-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I sit them on the settee or at the table depending on what room we are in at the time. I was told by ofsted that it is allowed but you cant refer to it as the 'naughty' anything, and it must be in the room you are in so that you can still see them.

HTH

Nicki

mimo
22-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I also use "reflective time" I mind mainly older children they get sent out at school if they are creating a distraction .We need to be able to hve some way of repremanding them.

christine e
22-08-2008, 08:43 AM
I use time out but don't refer to it by anything. I usually give a warning eg if you do that or if you do that again ( but sometimes the situation may warrant going strainght into time out) you will have to come and sit down for a few minutes, I don't have a set place for this (we could be out anyway) so it is usually a chair (or park bench) but it is alway close by me so that when they have settled down I start discussing with them what it is they have done and why they should not do it again and if relevant what their actions have inflicted on someone else eg if another child is crying because of it.
But the time out doesn't have a name or label to it

Cx

samgeordie
22-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I use time out with my 3yr old daughter but have not had to use it with a mindee yet. I call it "thinking time" and she has to sit on the bottom stair and think about what she has done and why it was not acceptable behaviour. It seems to work quite well but then its my own child not a mindee.

jayne
22-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I have time out most of my parents have asked me to as they use it at home. I know at the nursery my son went to they have a cushion with a sad face on it and say to the child that they have made so and so sad so know they must sit on the sad cushion and think about what they have done

ziggy
22-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I use time out but call it "thinking time" and use where ever is convenient at the time. If we're watching tv it will be another room, if we're eating it may be the bottom stair. If we're at the park it may be a bench. I hate the word naughty or bold (as they say here in Ireland)
Sandra

LisaH
22-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I always say 'time out' too.

I just send child out of the room to sit and think about what they have done. Then I explain why I am unhappy with them.

Most of the time it's the same mindee!!!:)