PDA

View Full Version : Help - Have an Accident Prone one

CCJD
21-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi all, I am a fairly experience childminder - have been registered 9 years (always had my spaces filled) and three weeks ago I started looking after my first ever accident prone child. She is just 1 year old and in between crawling and walking and has now had 3 accident logs completed already!!!! Always to do with the transition between standing and sitting. She is really into everything and is always on the move - although I have had children like that before - never one that injurs herself so frequently.
Any advice or tips - I feel awful handing her back with bruises and bumps (not even Arnica is helping enough) - parents are good - they say she is the same at home - but I still cant help wonder that they worry about this. It cant be easy for your child to have these accidents when not at home.

sarah707
21-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Poor little one! And poor you... it can't be easy.

There's not a lot you can do tbh until she's old enough to learn not to rush around and gets a bit sturdier.

Has she had a cold recently? Middle ear gunk can cause wobbles.

Parents will understand if she's like it at home...

angeldelight
21-08-2008, 05:22 PM
My grandson was like it at that age and still is and he is now 3

He is always eager to get from one place to another

Some children do this more than others

The parents are aware of it so I wouldnt worry to much

I have 2 children who are 18mths one falls over all the time the other does not

Looks like you have been lucky up till now !

Angel xx

elaineg
21-08-2008, 07:37 PM
My ds was like that, would fall over the pattern on the carpet, still the same now and hes 14.

love Elaine XXX

bubbly
21-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I have an accident-prone 10 month old mindee who is exactly the same. I've had many sleepless nights mulling over what I can do to prevent him bumping himself. My playroom floor has hard ceramic tiles and I've literally had to cover as much floor space as possible with rugs of all shapes and sizes. I've even had to use nonslip bath mats :laughing: . You should see the place! He can stand up and move around under his own steam by holding on to the furniture, he licks the glass in my french doors, he pulls my drawers open and empties the contents on the floor, eats the labels on the play-food, stands up underneath the dining table and swings on the chairs. Oh, and he LOVES emptying the book box and sitting in it :D. I reached the conclusion I'd done my best to protect him but I and his parents have to accept he WILL get bumps and scrapes. It's part of his personality to be mischievous and quite honestly I wouldn't want to change him. He's my cheeky monkey :)

LisaH
21-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I have an accident prone mindee too!! He is 3 now and still manages to fall over several times a day. Lol He even trips himself up bless him.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I suppose some kids are just naturally 'acccident prone'. :)

lindylou
21-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I wouldn.t worry i had a child like this a few years ago she even tossed through the playhouse window one ,she would fall over a piece of cotton i lost count of how many times she had accidents with me.
Anyway i met the dad a few months after she had gone to full time school and he showed me a stack of accident slips from school there was at least 40-50 slips from school so she was still having accidents.
I used to think iy was just at mine
Luv linx

Pauline
23-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. It is great that the parents understand, we have a little one that is always falling over, walking into things etc. but he is the same at home and his parents know how hard it is to stop it happening. They joke that he has so many forms all to himself and they have blank ones at home ready to fill in to bring to us!

I think if you have a good relationship with the parents then they can see for themselves that she is not in danger when with you, but simply learning to stand on her own two feet (or not in this case! :D)

I think it is when childminders and parents don't discuss what is happening that problems arise and they worry if they are being properly cared for.

Good luck, it will all pass by soon and she will be much steadier. :)

miffy
23-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Didn't want to read and run - at least the parents do understand.

Hopefully she will soon grow out of it :)

Miffy xx

Willowdancer
23-08-2008, 04:49 PM
My eldest is very accident prone too. At school they're always joking that they're going to rename the medical room after him, and as a child I was always tripping over blades of grass :laughing: