PDA

View Full Version : is it normal

Wendy Woo
21-08-2008, 09:19 AM
i have a 2yr old (3 at end of yr) who doesnt play, follows me like a lost sheep and wont interact with other kids.

now i have come across lots of 2/3/yr old boys in nursery time and they have all played and interacted at some point or another

i was wonderin if it could be to do with this environment or somethin?

I just dont no wot to do with him?

i get involved and he still doesnt want to interact he is purely happy to follow and watch me all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedagog
21-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe he just doesn't like the company of other children. My youngest son is like this. He is 8 now, but has always been happier with adults.

mimo
21-08-2008, 09:26 AM
he may just be a very shy boy keep getting things out and you get involved with them dont push him just make it look good fun change to something else after awhile and do the same talk to yourself whilst doing the activity giving a running comentry of what you are doing keeping it cheerful and upbeat .Do things like jigsaws and get stuck on them ask him to help if he will do this play things like cafes and ask him to pass you something after a while ask him if he would like a cup of tea .he may wll just not be to sure of how to play. Try taking him to lots of toddler groups too so he can see other children interacting.

miffy
21-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Is he an only child? How long have you been looking after him? Is it the first time he's been away from home?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a bit difficult without knowing a bit more about him.

I'd have a chat with his parents and see if he behaves any differently at home

Miffy xx

sarah707
21-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I have seen children like this in the playground in infants school - they walk around all break holding the midday's hand and want to hold teachers hand to go back into school.

It's normal for them - they seem to be scared of interacting. Teachers just ignore it and provide support, hoping the child will grow out of it at some stage.

I think the child is lucky his parents have chosen a childminder where you can give him the one-to-one he needs - he'd be lost in a nursery poor thing!

Wendy Woo
21-08-2008, 12:58 PM
he has got an older sister but i think he has a very adult-fied life iynwim!!!

I looked after his sisiter at my old nursery and she was very into wot the adults were doin but she did get involved witht the other children.

i poached this one from the same nursery as mum was not happy and apparently she has been told on many occasion that he is a completely different child since bein with me!!! much more confident and happy in himself apparently!!!

i just dont c much of it!!!!! but i must be doin somethin right !!!

Minstrel
21-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Bless him!
Maybe he just really likes you!
Some adults prefer children's company ( not the weird adults!:rolleyes: ) to chatting to other adults so perhaps he is the same.
Could you not give him little jobs to do whilst he follows you.
Maybe help set up the activities and clear away after and eventually he might extend the playing bit in the middle when he feels ready.

kellyg
21-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I have a 1 year old a bit like this, he has got much better but he would rather play alone or with me and does not like it if say my daughter tries to give him something or play with him, he just preffers to do things alone. My one is also very insecure when out in a social environment and will only settle if on my lap or in my arms, I think it's down to being the 1st boy grandchild and the only one in a good 15 years and also because he never attended any toddler groups etc before coming to me.

Maybe your one is also used to being left to his own devices and I am sure that if you allow his the space and time he will start to interact and probably being less pressured (compared to nursery) he may choose to play with the others.

Hope he gets through it bless him, mine is getting better and I think its just because I allow him to choose what he wants to do and act really silly when I try to get him involved, he likes it if I make a fool of myself :p

angeldelight
21-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Is he an only child? How long have you been looking after him? Is it the first time he's been away from home?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a bit difficult without knowing a bit more about him.

I'd have a chat with his parents and see if he behaves any differently at home

Miffy xx

Agree with Miffy

But if he seems happy then I cant really see what the problem is - some children are happy to be doing this

Better than a child that follows you everywhere but at the same time screaming ...... thats what I have

So count your luck stars that he is just following you ha

Angel xx

kellyg
21-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Agree with Miffy

But if he seems happy then I cant really see what the problem is - some children are happy to be doing this

Better than a child that follows you everywhere but at the same time screaming ...... thats what I have

So count your luck stars that he is just following you ha

Angel xx

My one used to be like that Angel - thankfully he has stopped - if we are out, then I get it :( - least we know we are not the only ones ey!

singlewiththree
21-08-2008, 03:21 PM
My DD (2yrs ) still goes to my childminder and she is completely different with her, wont join in and will only talk/sing in the childminders house and has only just started doing that. She is the youngest of 3 but is just insecure away from me and my house or the childminders.

Nicki L
21-08-2008, 06:08 PM
My eldest daughter who is now 6 has was always like this. Was told it is normal behaviour and not to worry bout it as she will grow out of it. She is still quite a shy child and doesnt like big groups, although school has helped her in this area.

They obviously feel safer/happier with adults.

Nicki