PDA

View Full Version : Do you use cream for babies bum?

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I have never had to use cream for babies that I mind - but one mom is talking about getting some

Someone got me thinking about this though the other day

I have seen the one mom change her son - she uses the cream - then dad does - her parents do - in fact everyone who is going to change baby.
Mom did not wash her hands before or after - she wiped them on the clean nappy to get the cream off
How many germs here ?

Just got me thinking really

Obviously I would have to wear gloves if I had to use cream - but how many germs are already flying around in that cream?

This might be a really stupid topic or it might make you think too?

We have to have so many rules and regulations though just wondered if this was one ......... please no more paper work

Obviously you would only use the cream for the baby in question
but ....

Do you have to make sure the cream is prescribed by the doctor before using it?
Or can you use any cream that they bring in for you to use?

Angel xx

custardcream
10-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I use bum cream but only if the parent supplies it for there child and i have this put on my permissions form.
A couple of the children i mind constantly have really sore bottoms and have to have special cream, but mum constantly forgets it.
I was always told that we could not use our own cream, only allowed to use what was supplied by parents.
But about the germs, yes you are probably right.

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes I would not use my own cream either - its never applied anyway to me but how annoying if parent forgets cream - what do you do then?
Unless you ask them to leave some spare with you?

Does the cream have to be prescribed thats what I really want to know

Does everyone wear gloves - I know heaps of people that do not

Angel xx

bubbly
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
The baby I'm minding uses bum cream. I've had the same thoughts about germs floating around in the tub. I still have to use bum cream on my own 6 year old, for medical reasons to stop him getting sore, but his comes in a squeezy tube which is far more hygenic.

berkschick
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
With my own children I used cream at every change on my first as that was what I was told to do by the health visitor! Now Im on my fourth, I have NEVER used cream on Ellas bum and she has NEVER had nappy rash. If it looks a bit red I let her have some nappy free sessions during the day and that soon solves it.

With M (minded one!) Mum has said she only uses cream when needed and so far M has not come with any.

I think the tubs of cream are so unhygienic! You change dirty nappy, then put germy hand into tub! Lovely. Think the tubes are much better.

Love

Debbie

custardcream
10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
The special cream that they have is prescribed, but the parents do supply sudacrem cream for normal use as the special cream can only be used for a short time. I do try and use gloves but i cant really get on with them while changing a nappy and I cant put them on just to put the cream on cos the child will not lay still, so most of the time i dont use gloves, but i suppose we should do.
It is awful when the parent forgets the cream cos sometimes their bottoms are so sore and i have no cream to use and they scream when i am cleaning them up, but i have always been told not to use my own cream, so i never have, but it makes me feel awful cos by putting a barrier of cream on would prevent some of the soreness, so for these particular children I now have a pot of sudacrem for each with their names on which is kept at my house. Dont really know wether I should do this or not but by not putting the cream on I feel that it could be classed as a sort of neglect.

fionamal
10-01-2008, 09:53 AM
To be honest its not something ive ever thought about until now.

I use gloves and disposable apron when changing bums as we have to up here and cream if its supplied by parent but when applying it I use a cotton bud so there is no cross contamination .

Care Commission have never really said anything about bum cream, but I used a cotton bud when applying cream on my own 2 kids so it was just natural thing to do.

Blaze
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I use cream if supplied by parent & have written permission. I use a cotton bud to get the cream out of the tub & then use it to spread the cream to affected area...I wear gloves when changing a nappy anyway...cotton bud then goes in nappy sack & chucked...so germs are well & truely taken care of! However, all creams have been over the counter ones to date, so will probably have to change my practice when it comes to EYFS!
Tasha:)

Lou
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I dont want to be contreversial (spelling??)

but........

Im a mum and my gut instinct is to care for the child, so if one of mine has a sore bottom and they havent supplied any cream, i will use my own.

I only have one child in nappies at the moment (minded) and my children are older, but i always have sudocrem in as my daughter who is 4 sometimes gets sore as little girls do.

In the past thebaby i care for has had nappy rash and mum has acidently left cream at home, i have used my own and told her and she has thanked me so much, as she would rather that than him be in discomfort or pain.

When i apply it i use a wipe or something similar for hygiene reasons.

Frankly i dont care what Ofsted think about that, i wouldnt tell them anyway!! and id rather the mum and ultimatly the baby was happy than flipping OFsted!!!!

honey
10-01-2008, 11:30 AM
i do the same as tasha, i only use the cream supplied by the parents and when i am running low i just inform them, i too wear gloves when changing nappies. I keep a box for each child with all of their nappies, wipes and creams in purely for nappy changing and inform parents when i run out, i find this easier than keeping their changing bags everywhere.

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Lou you know what I agree with you

That is why I was wondering what every one did in these sort of situations

I have never had to put cream on a baby but I am sure if one was crying and he had got hours before being collected then I would put some cream on him
You cannot leave a baby in pain just because of some poxy rules and regulations

I know there are germs flying around - I heard this conversation with someone the other day hence me bringing it up

There are germs in everything we do though - wonder where we draw the line sometimes

Angel xx

Lou
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes thats right Angel, and i do everything i can do minmise germs but for goodness sakes it makes you wonder how we have survived lol.

I think you can go to far sometimes.

charleyfarley
10-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I've not had to put cream on mindees bottom yet although there is a pot in his bag if needed.

I wouldn't think twice about using my cream on a mindee though if they were sore.

My son suffers with a sore bottom when he is teething and needs cream then, apart from then I don't use it as I did get told off by health visitor when I used it on Charley.

How things change over the years

Carol xx

Raggydolls
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
a conversation like this tho brings into play about calpol and teething gel. everyone is different and we all do things differently to each other. first and foremost i wud put the childs comfort above all else.

leanne
xx

sarah707
10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree raggydolls it's all about the baby's comfort... but with EYFS we will need very clear guidance as it clearly says only prescription stuff will be allowed as things stand at the moment ... and I don't think doctors will want a queue of parents needing bum cream :laughing:

As for the hygiene - I ask them to supply tubes, then I will put it on... I know what you mean about pots Angel, I wouldn't want to put my hands in them, not even with gloves - which I have got and I try to remember to wear! :D

Schnakes
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Hello all,

I try to use cream as little as possible - only when they have rash. One of my mums put talc on her babies bum at every change and it drives me MAD!! Its just not needed, and I cant even imagine why they think it will prevent nappy rash. They have asked me to put it on her too, but I dont, and tell all new clients when doing contracts that I dont put anything on bums if it isnt needed!! My sister runs a nursery in Italy, and she tells me that over there, they dont even use baby wipes unless the baby has done a poo!!! She says she has never seen a case of nappy rash while shes worked there, and shes been over there for two years now!!

As for the cream itself - I use a squeezy tube not a tub. I buy one for each of the babies. This is so that if any rash appears when they are with me I can put the cream on and nip it in the bud, rather than waiting for the parent to get it sorted. If a parent would rather use a different brand to mine, they are welcome to bring their own. I dont use gloves because I havent found any that dont cause my skin to blister up. Its very painful. Id rather just wash my hands with anti-bac soap before and after. Its not worth the pain of my sensitive skin to keep Ofsted happy, tbh.

Sx

Schnakes
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
PS - Dont tell Ofsted!! :D :laughing:

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I do not always think that Ofsted think about the fact we all do things different - they expect us to all do it the same

What do they know about the needs of a child ? Now give them a form to read instead and I am sure they would be ok with that !

Angel xx

allinatiz
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I have had to use cream on my mindee but it was a prescription cream and so came under medicines.

The germ thing wouldn't bother me too much as I know I am doing what I can to minimize the spread of germs (haha, says I who caught conjunctivitis off my mindee!). I don't use gloves to change nappies, and I won't until we are required to. I wash my hands and anti bac them and the changing mat before and after changes. I probably won't explain this very well but plastic gloves just seem a bit clinical to me, I'm providing home from home care and I'm guessing her mum doesn't use gloves to change her ;)

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I never wear gloves either

Angel xx

Schnakes
10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
It works the other way too...Ofsted can also work differently! When I had my 1st inspection it was noted that I dont keep a record of worm/flea treatments for my cats, so apparently that meant that I wasnt protecting the children from parasites etc - despite the fact that the cats are treateed and didnt have worms or fleas....another childminder I know of recently got a "outstanding" marking even though she keeps her cat litter tray in the front room where she has the children play,and the walls around the tray have cat feaces (is that how you spell it?!) all over them. How is that protecting children from infection or whatever?? Makes me mad, I tell you! If they expect all of us to be the same they should also work to the same standards as each other!

Okay...Im getting off my soapbox now!!

Sx

Sarsar3NCH
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I am with you on that one Schnakes!

I don't use gloves, mainly because when I started minding I had my own ds in nappies too and I was not going to change him then put gloves on to change mindee, it seemed wrong.

Out of interest, those of you who wear gloves, do you put them on to wipe bottoms when children have used toilet??

Sarah

Blaze
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I am with you on that one Schnakes!

I don't use gloves, mainly because when I started minding I had my own ds in nappies too and I was not going to change him then put gloves on to change mindee, it seemed wrong.

Out of interest, those of you who wear gloves, do you put them on to wipe bottoms when children have used toilet??

Sarah

Yep!

ajs
10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Lou you know what I agree with you

That is why I was wondering what every one did in these sort of situations

I have never had to put cream on a baby but I am sure if one was crying and he had got hours before being collected then I would put some cream on him
You cannot leave a baby in pain just because of some poxy rules and regulations

I know there are germs flying around - I heard this conversation with someone the other day hence me bringing it up

There are germs in everything we do though - wonder where we draw the line sometimes

Angel xx

i suppose if you wiped your hands on the babywipe before putting it in the pot it would be a little cleaner

i have some cream in the nappy bag but don't use it i think a mum brought it one day (i suppose i should check the use by date)
one of my little ones had a really sore bottom and i put some on but she screamed even more so i washed it off immediately and told mum that i think she may be allergic to that not that her bottom was sore from being wet she's been fine since then

Tily Bud
10-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I dont have any little ones in nappies anymore :D but ive never used gloves although i have them . I just wash my hands with anti bac soap - sorry but gloves are too clinical for me :rolleyes:

As for cream ive used my own and what parents have supplied but saying that i do think things are getting stricter by the day so if i had any babies in future i would want the parent to supply the cream in a sealed tube and sign my non-prescribed medicines form .

Cheryl x

ajs
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
no i don't use gloves but have anti bac souap by every sink also wash my towels every evening so cross contamination is minimzed and it's highlighted on my report that i have a good awareness of standard hygeine practices.

i do use anti bac wipes on the mat after each child has used it too

Blaze
10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Thought I should add that I personally think gloves are clinical & should be used at our discretion ie not be marked down for not using them...as long as we are hygienic of course! I use them for reasons that Susan stated in another yucky thread...& it's just become a habit now.

Lou
10-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I dont use gloves for the reason someone has already said, when i started minding, my dd was in nappies and it would be wrong to change her and then put gloves on to change others, she would have asked why and so would they.

I also find it very clinical, i do have anti bac soap at every sink also, and wipe the mat before and after use with anti bac wipes.

At my inspection, the day she came i didnt have any in nappies so it wasnt a prob, but if i had i would probably have put gloves on then just to get a better grade!!

fionamal
10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Unfortunalty in Scotland we have to wear disposable aprons and gloves when either toilet training or changing nappies.

I dont really agree with it especially with toilet training. By the time you get all kitted up the little one has had an accident . I keep them on display in the bathroom and have some under the sink incase I get asked for them on any spot visits but only use the gloves for messy nappy changes.

nannan
10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I dont use gloves or aprons, mainly because I'm allergic to them, also the baby I'm looking after could be allergic to them and I dont fancy the risk of finding out that she is allergic to latex. I buy my own sudacrem and have the parents sign a form saying it is ok for me to use it, as like has been mentioned I dont fancy using anything on the babies that all and sunday have also been using, if the baby needed prescription cream I would get the parents to ask for two tubes so that I always had a spare one at my house incase the parent forgot one day, I have a policy in place stating that this is what I do and the parent is happy with that, I havent had to put cream on the baby yet as she is a newborn and her bottom isnt sore, mind if I had to use it I would document it and get the parent to sign in the evening as I wouldnt want to have a baby in pain over a tub of cream.

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
have not seen you here for a while mandy hope you are ok - how are the baby twins ?

angel xx

mummyspice
10-01-2008, 10:56 PM
All my minded babies had there own pots of cream. One of them had it on at every bum change(at mum's request).
I don't use gloves, just wash well after.
I wouldn't get them to sign unless it was a 'special' one prescribed by dr.
Lisa x
btw-metanium is fantastic for a nasty, sore bum

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Parents provide cream for me to use but I get them to leave a tube here so that it doesn't get left. But I make them aware that I only use cream if needed. A lot of parents seem to think that you need to apply cream to stop them getting nappy rash.

When I was at college we were taught that actually applying a barrier cream these days is not needed and in actual fact stops whatever it is inb the nappies that does the wicking awayaction (does that make sense) and stops it working properly.

In the case of really bad nappy rash I recommend to parents a revolting yellow cream called metanium as it is fantastic stuff.

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Does the cream have to be prescribed thats what I really want to know Does everyone wear gloves - I know heaps of people that do not Angel xx

Cream like sudocrem are not prescribed creams and I don't think that even metanium is. I wear gloves at all times to change nappies but don't wear an apron which I know some people do.

lindylou
10-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I have a permission form when they start with me that states that i can use cream on the babies if it is supplied by the parents in case of allergies.
I always wear gloves my assistant wont wear them despite my nagging i buy them in bulk normally about 15 boxes at a time as it is a lot cheaper that way.
If a parent does not send cream and the baby appears to be sore i have in the past rang parents and got permission to use sudacrem .#
Lindax

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
i have some cream in the nappy bag but don't use it i think a mum brought it one day (i suppose i should check the use by date)

I check all medications/creams on a monthly basis (I keep one bottle of calpol for one family, along with a variety of lotions and potions - as they are here at odd hours and dad has a tendency to forget to bring them if needed). If they are out of date mum replaces them even if they have never been used - I know she uses them then herself at home but not my problem

deeb66
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I used to use my own cream but then worried about Ofsted and 'cross contamination' so now I ask parents to put cream in bags which I used when the child has a sore bottom/bits.

i do have gloves but if I am honest I do not wear them as they are a pian....I know I should and I keep putting it on my list to make sure i do but it never seems to happen!!!

Ofsted are getting pretty hot about us wearing gloves at the moment and will not accept the excuse of allergies......you can now buy Nitrile gloves which do not have latex in them and are kind to sensitive skins. you can also buy them with or without powder if that is what causes you a problem.