PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

Willowdancer
20-08-2008, 11:17 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7570035.stm

The government said its guidelines did not place a burden on childminders.

Really? Quite frankly, despite the EYFS course I have completed, I am terrified - and I'm not even registered yet.

oakie dokie
21-08-2008, 06:16 AM
thanks ali, i found that very interesting and i have added my views.

angeldelight
21-08-2008, 06:56 AM
I find it a real shame that this is happening to be honest

We are all doing all these things anyway so if everyone just calmed down they would see that.
All the things you used to tell the parents about their little one will now be written down instead so its nothing different really.

Angel xxx

barbarella68
21-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Yes Angel but even you must agree writing it down takes longer than actually telling parents,or perhaps I am doing it totally different to every else.;)

mimo
21-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Finding the right words for writting it down is more difficult and less personal than talking to the parents .It makes it very offical and i feel alot more nurseryfied than just sharing everything with the parents verbally .Alot of parents i know feel this takes the choice of type of care away from them as they use childminders as a less structured type of care than a nursery. maybe its different for me as i look after mostly school age children, which i know dont strictly come under the eyfs but we are still supposed to follow it and do the obs and recording(i think please tell me if i have that wrong).

angeldelight
21-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I agree that writing it down does take longer

But dont you all have diarys anyway for the children ?

I do understand where you are all coming from though

But its here to stay so we cant do anything about it !

Angel xxx

sarah707
21-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Like Angel says, we have to make the best of what we have been given.

I think eyfs is actually very good... just a few bits could do with tweaking.

If anyone has any worries, I hope they know there's lots of support here :D

Chatterbox Childcare
21-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Finding the right words for writting it down is more difficult and less personal than talking to the parents .It makes it very offical and i feel alot more nurseryfied than just sharing everything with the parents verbally .Alot of parents i know feel this takes the choice of type of care away from them as they use childminders as a less structured type of care than a nursery. maybe its different for me as i look after mostly school age children, which i know dont strictly come under the eyfs but we are still supposed to follow it and do the obs and recording(i think please tell me if i have that wrong).

I think you have got it wrong. If the children are at school and we are only talking about reception children, they are covering the EYFS and Ofsted advice to me was make sure the school are covering this, write it down in your book somewhere and cover the areas they are notl i.e. play play play

Debbie

Banana
21-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Intereseting article, I dont know what to think about it anymore though.

After having a read through the eyfs LEGAL REQUIREMENTS I decided to tick the statments that I was already doing - and do you know what, there wasnt much I wasnt already doing anyway.

I need to do risk assesments of the places we go and I need to do planning and a couple of other little things but nothing major.

I am giving up on stressing about it now. When Ofsted come out, they are going to tell me if im adequate or not, if im not i'll do what they say and change it so its right and if it is right then thats fine.

Personally, yes, The EYFS does mean that its taking up even more time that I dont want to be spending doing paperwork but if I want a job then I suppose I better do it - boring as it is!

x

barbarella68
21-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't have diaries for all the children only the baby and 4 year old everybody else is 5 or over,it would take me to christmas to fill out if all the children had one:laughing:
Anyway they are always telling their parents what they have been doing,it is nice for them to tell it in their own way!

Tatia
21-08-2008, 11:43 AM
maybe its different for me as i look after mostly school age children, which i know dont strictly come under the eyfs but we are still supposed to follow it and do the obs and recording(i think please tell me if i have that wrong).

You're wrong.:D Hehe, what I mean is, unless you have a child in Reception or younger then you DO NOT have to follow EYFS. It is strictly for children up to the end of Reception. Whilst I have a scrap book/photo album that I use for my entire setting, in which I include bits and bobs about older children, I don't make written plans or obs for older kids.

Now I need to go and read this article.

Mrs M
21-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Mrs Adams - who looks after three children aged 10 months, two and three - says the guidelines mean that she would have to plan a year ahead what they would do on a daily basis. What is she meaning here? That she needs to plan each day a year in advance?! Yes, there's long term planning but that's events going on around the world, birthdays, celebrations etc etc isn't it?

She would also have to make a note of when each child reached a developmental stage such as crawling, taking their first steps or holding a pencil correctly. I like this idea! If my son were attending a setting, I'd like things in writing to show where he's up to. I have had one parent compare me to the nursery his son used to attend but he also understands this is the way I do things - daily diary (he doesn't read it but I still write it!) and observations.

It does take a while to get everything written down but we have no choice. I have three under three so they require a lot of attention but when they are playing happily I'll get my camera out, make some notes, type them up etc. It's hard work but it's still the best job in the world!

Tatia
21-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Mrs Adams - who looks after three children aged 10 months, two and three - says the guidelines mean that she would have to plan a year ahead what they would do on a daily basis.
Clearly she has no idea whatsoever about the EYFS actually stands for. PLanning a year in advance is ridiculous. Sure, do some long-term planning to take into account upcoming festivals, events, birthdays and such but other than that, you're meant to be following the child's interests and those change on a sometimes daily basis! This makes me madder than anything that the BBC once again is not presenting a balanced viewpoint and are quoting people who are flat out WRONG!:angry: