PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Inspection

cherry
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi everyone

Before I start I just want to apologise for going on but I am so cross I just had to write it down.

A good friend of mine has just had her inspection and received a 'Good', which she was happy with, but the inspector told her that she has only ever given one Outstanding and that was certainly not to a childminder.

So why do we spend our evenings and weekends going on courses and writing up our Policys and Procedures (because we can't do them during the day as we are too busy writing observations, diarys and taking photo's) if we are only going to be given a Good!

Since Ofsted have took over I have had to buy a 4 drawer filing cabinet to put all the extra paperwork in.

I have been a childminder for nearly 11 years and when Social Services were in charge I think the only paperwork I had on each child was the contract and an information sheet. They used to inspect once a year and yes we did get a bit nervous before they came but as it was usually the same person that came so you knew what to expect. She would go round the house checking plug sockets, how hot the water was, did the smoke alarms work etc. then we would sit down with a cup of tea and have a chat. She would ask after the family, how was I getting on, did I have any concerns over the minded children? You felt at ease and you knew that she was usually always there at the end of the phone if you needed some advice.

But now, it is all so different. I have 4 friends that gave up childminding last year as they were fed up with all the paperwork which is a shame as they were very good and long term minders so had plenty of experience.

I've had 2 interviews this week and not one of the parents were interested in my policys and procedures. All they were interested in was whether they liked me, whether their child would be happy and were the children that I looked after happy with me.
I told them about the things we did, like which Mums & Tots we would go to and what outings we would be doing through the year, and when I told them I would be doing a diary and taking photo's they were over the moon.
They weren't interested in themes of the month or what religion we would be celebrating this month.

Parents come to us because they want a home from home enviroment not a Nursery.

I'll get off my soapbox now and I'm sorry if upset some people but I just had to express my views and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thanks

Cherry

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Upset us ???? Now Cherry you really need to come and chat more often then you will see that we are behind you 100%

I remember too the good old days of social services as do Pauline and Dee

Yes you did feel at ease and it was much better in those days

Just do not get me on the subject of Ofsted
I refuse to be bullied by them though
I feel so sorry for minders who are just starting out they come here full of great expectations and are immedliatly put off by all the paperwork we have to do

I think it is unfair

I also actually think there is nothing wrong with a " good " grading and anyone who gets this should be damn pleased with themselves
I do know what you mean about the " outstanding grade" though and them not giving it out very much

Athough last year they seemed to be handing out the grade here there and everywhere in my view
It beats me how a childminder who has only been minding for 3 mths for example can get outstanding yet a childminder who has been minding for say 10 years and is brilliant at her job only gets a good?
I think that is so unfair

Parents - well that is another story - half of them do not even know who OFSTED are never mind anything else !!!

Just do not get me started - I best not go on ha

Agree with you all the way though

Angel xx

Shirlwith3
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
You have said what we all think I feel.
I used to work in preschool and can remember when Social service came round as you said they were very friendly, you were alwasy put at ease, now with Ofsted you are on edge & diffenently on at ease.
All I can say is BRING BACK SOCIAL SERVICES.

Shirl

Lou
10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree totally with everything that has been said.

Ofsted should NOT regulate childminders. Like it has been said parents are generally not interested in any of the paperwork. A lot of it goes on gut feeling, if they like you and how the child reacts to you.

One of my mindees who has been coming for 2 yrs now, her mum is lovely. When she first came to see me, the washing machine was on, (she called in a panic and asked to come round straight away) and i apologised about it to her and she said dont be so silly thats what i want for my daughter to be in a place thats as close to being at home as poss.

I had my Ofsted inspection a couple of months ago, and i recieved an overall good with 2 areas outstanding.
A minder down the road from me got outstanding on the first ever day she had a child?

There is no consistancy with Ofsted. They are the downfall of doing this job, and im going to be quiet now otherwise i could go on forever!!!

cherry
10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your replies, I'm glad you feel the same.

Like you, I do feel sorry for the new minders as this job is suppose to be enjoyable and Ofsted seem to take that all away.

Never mind, I won't give them the satisfaction of stopping, I love children too much.

Cherry :)

manjay
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe this is one of advantages of where we live in that we are inspected by CSSIW which is the Care and Social Services Inspectorate for Wales instead of ESTYN (OFSTEDs welsh equivalant). They only get involved if you are delivering early years education.

We still however seem to need mountains of paperwork and as a newly registered minder it is daunting.

amanda xx

sarah707
10-01-2008, 01:34 PM
The inconsistency of the way Childminders are inspected is the worst I think - in some areas nobody is given outstanding as a matter of course and I think that's totally appalling - if you go that extra mile over what Ofsted consider to be 'good' then you should be rewarded. Good, however, is still excellent and should make the recipient very proud of themselves.

I don't think Ofsted should have ever been allowed to take over childminders. I don't think they are set up to cope with us and I don't think we should be compared with educational establishments, as parents send children to us to avoid that sort of environment.

Having one of my soapbox moments... sorry! :D

ruby
10-01-2008, 03:17 PM
i do have to admit i panic when reading some of you threads concerning ofsted and are glad that we are with the ccsiw.
and i agree with cherry its changed so much and a lot of the older childminder's in my area are giving it up because of all the paper work
etc.

have thought about it once or twice but couldn't imagine not looking after the children we just love it so will carry on.

cathy and Rachel

deeb66
10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree with what everyone has said here as I am sure most of the childminders on here does.

I often say lets bring back the old days of Social Services.....I really enjoyed it when my Day Care Advisor used to visit because as well as doing what was classed as the horrible bits they used to sit and chat with us and help us with our problems and concerns.....and we certainly don't get that with Ofsted....we are almost terrified to admit that we have some sort of problem.

I have to say that I am very lucky as are the minders in my area. We have an excellent Early Years Team who are always there for us should be need them so they have kind of replaced the role of the Day Care Advisor....I really cannot sing their praises enough because they offer a tremendous amount of support to all our minders especially those who are newly registered and may need that extra support.

In defense of Ofsted I will say that they have done a good job of weeding out those childminders who really didn't do our proffession any good and they are continuing to do that but as with most things in life there is always a downside in that some really excellent childminders are leaving also.

When Ofsted first took over in 2001 it wasn't too bad and I think was a happy medium but have to say that in the last few years it has just got ridiculous and the sad thing is .....I think it is going to get worse!!!!

nannysue
10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I can't agree more about the inconsistancies of Ofsted. I was only reminising today about the " good old days" of social services. They used to just pop in at any time, have a chat, help with any problems and were interested in the welfare of the child not wether you had x amounts of forms and bits of paper. The grading system is useless i know a childminder who does nothing with her little ones but did and said all the right things on her inspection and got an outstanding.I'm not surprised that so many are giving up it can be very frustrating at times. I don't envy anyone just starting up at least i can look back on better times. This very old childminder could rant on for ages but i think we all feel the same. Sue x

nannysue
10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I can't agree more about the inconsistancies of Ofsted. I was only reminising today about the " good old days" of social services. They used to just pop in at any time, have a chat, help with any problems and were interested in the welfare of the child not wether you had x amounts of forms and bits of paper. The grading system is useless i know a childminder who does nothing with her little ones but did and said all the right things on her inspection and got an outstanding.I'm not surprised that so many are giving up it can be very frustrating at times. I don't envy anyone just starting up at least i can look back on better times. This very old childminder could rant on for ages but i think we all feel the same. Sue x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
11-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I agree with everyone just don't get me started as Ofsted get my back up so I will just agree with everyone. I don't know what ss were like as when I started it was Ofsted, but sounds like ss were much better bring them back that is what I say.

Lorraine xx

custardcream
11-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Totally agree with you Cherry, bring back social services.

Polly2
11-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Yep! I am glad I live in Wales too.

My inspecter was lovely - just like the social services one you descibed.

We don't have grades either - I think this is fairer.

angeldelight
11-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Think I might move to Wales then haha

Angel xx

LittleAcorns
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Im glad you posted as I feel the same, I enjoy doing the daily diaries and planning the activities BUT it should be optional, paperwork at the moment is taking over my life, and if I didnt have the lovely ladies on here helping me out then I think I would be up til 3am perminently!!!!! so for that I am eternely grateful :littleangel: :littleangel: :littleangel: ........ I have my inspection due this month and was dreading it! but now, providing I do my best and try to keep up with everything, then so be it, I get the grade I get, I know I do a good job, I work hard and all of the parents and children are very happy, I just feel its a shame we have a stranger, who doesnt know us, come into our home, puts us on edge, and thinks they can acess us completely in a few hours alone, what does get me aswell is the grade we get, we keep for 3 years!! so much can change in that time.......better go kids are wrecking the house hahahahahahhaaaaa just kidding

cherry
11-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Good luck with your inspection, let us know how you got on.

Cherry x

nat1664
11-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I agree with all that had been said too,

Im due my inspection real soon and after talking to the lady from NCMA yestrday, and telling her that I only have one child for 1 hour a day she advised me to "borrow" my friends child so that the inspector can see me with children otherwise I would only get a satifactory....

Nat

x

Angela234
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I too agree with everything said i have only been registered 4 1/2 years so don't know about social srevices checks.
I agree anyone getting a GOOD grade should be well pleased you are providing above Ofsted requirments
I did get outstanding last year i know i'm a good minder and provide a lot for children and parents but i don't do as much as some of you say you do, themes we don't always do sometimes we weeks of doing whatever we fancy a lot of flexibility and fun.
I did have 3 years of prove of activites we've done.
And I don't have lots of long policies.

So i am surprised (though glad i did) i got my grade. 3 others in my town also got outstanding 2 of those had only been minded a couple of months i do agree with Angel its not long enough to justify outstanding and the other has been minding about 14 years

Sorry this is long

Angela

smartie
11-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I too agree with everything said i have only been registered 4 1/2 years so don't know about social srevices checks.
I agree anyone getting a GOOD grade should be well pleased you are providing above Ofsted requirments
I did get outstanding last year i know i'm a good minder and provide a lot for children and parents but i don't do as much as some of you say you do, themes we don't always do sometimes we weeks of doing whatever we fancy a lot of flexibility and fun.
I did have 3 years of prove of activites we've done.
And I don't have lots of long policies.

So i am surprised (though glad i did) i got my grade.
3 others in my town also got outstanding 2 of those had only been minded a couple of months i do agree with Angel its not long enough to justify outstanding and the other has been minding about 14 years

Sorry this is long

Angela

smartie
11-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Sorry Angela I've never quoted anybody before and I've made a hash of if !

I wanted to quote you and say that I got 'Outstanding' after minding for 6 months.

I agree (Yes really) that it is not long enough for a minder to be given this grade.

I had plenty of time on my hands as I was not overly busy and had EVERYTHING spit polished and shiny!

The proof of the pudding will be in September when I am due my next inspection. If I am lucky enough to attain an 'outstanding' grade again I will truely feel I deserve it. I feel a little embarressed about my grade at the moment.

That said I work very hard and really feel that I try to 'uphold' (Is that the right word) the 'outstanding' grade I have been given.

Trouble
11-01-2008, 11:15 PM
ofsted are that good they gave a primary school near me outstanding who dont spend anytime on various religions just one and they let 5 children with dyslexia slip through the net my child was one of them!!!!!:angry:

Angela234
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Smartie Be proud (i'm sure you are ) of your outstanding grade the 2 minders i refered to are fantastic minders and parents speak very highly of them

I only think inspectors should see evidence of a longer term of minding, children with different needs, parents references, experiances of childminding.

I think a lot of new minders are doing a great job and putting so much time and effert into their new job, but we are all learning new situations.

I would personally think minders should be working for a longer time to qualify for the highest grade. This is just my opinion.

Angela