PDA

View Full Version : We are in the news again.

custardcream
20-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Dont know if any of you have seen this, but I thought it made interesting reading.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/education/7570035.stm

mimo
20-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Glad the goverment doent feel its a burden perhaps they should spend as long as we all seem to to get the paper work done !. Its interesting to read the comments from people at the bottom many parents seem to think its turning us into nurseries and taking away their choice.Makes you wonder who exactly wants the obs and targets of the eyfs except for the goverment.

kellyg
20-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree, I have been so stressed with everything, esp as I yet to have my 1st inspection - here is what I sent to the BBC:

I became a registered minder in Jan 08, it was a huge shock to me that I have to do all of this planning, observations and general paperwork. I took this job up to care for my daughter and give children a fun and go with the flow style of care and I feel that vision has diminished. Also, am I to observe my own daughter, plan for her and decide if she is reaching her milestone, no way, I know when she achieves something and is most importantly happy and they children I care for are too. However, in order to comply with Ofsted I now have to use ample paper, ink, folders and not to mention time (none of which fit in to my 'green' category) to ensure I get the grade I feel I deserve...it stinks and to be honest so long as the children are healthy, happy and enjoy their time with me and so long as the parents are 100% happy with the care I provide I will not stress about EYFS, its not worth putting the pressure on myself.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Sorry to disagree with a lot of childminders but I think that the EYFS is new and that is why everyone is panicking. No one likes change but I believe that this change is for the better and children will benefit from it.

We all groaned when Birth-3 came in but we are used to it now. The Foundation Stage as been around for ages.

EYFS is a combination of both Birth-3 and Foundation Stage and no more so what is wrong with it?

Give it a go.

Debbie

barbarella68
20-08-2008, 03:43 PM
We disagree with it Debbie because it puts further strain on our relationships with our families.I did this job to fit in with my family not for my family to fit in with my childminding.Quite often on here I hear that people regularly stay up to the early hours.:(

cloud9
20-08-2008, 04:05 PM
We disagree with it Debbie because it puts further strain on our relationships with our families.I did this job to fit in with my family not for my family to fit in with my childminding.Quite often on here I hear that people regularly stay up to the early hours.:(

I have to say i agree i am not opposed to the EYFS because i dont think it is that different to what i am already doing but what i do disagree with is the fact i now have twice as much paperwork which either has to be done while minding (making the mindees lose out) or done in our own time (making our own children miss out) and i dont think this has been considered.

kindredspirits
20-08-2008, 04:12 PM
i think we should have to 'follow' eyfs, not PROVE we're doing it. i've never had an inspection in birth 2 3 but presumably you just had to tell ofsted what you were doing instead of producing a pile of paperwork. ah well, i suppose we'll get used to doing it as we go! ;) no point crying over spilt milk!

Trouble
20-08-2008, 07:31 PM

i have to agree with you i only start this as i like arts and crafts:eek:

Jules27
20-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Makes very interesting reading. Good to see from the comments that most people are actually against it... parents and childminders alike. One comment I did like was 'the clue is in the job title.. childminder - not child teacher' It would seem most parents think like I do, the reason for sending a child to a childminder is so they are in a home environment, if they wanted a nursery, they would go there instead.

Some of the childminders near me are thinking of starting a petition, don't think it will get them very far but would be willing to sign it!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Tasha M
20-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I've been pretty much stressing about the EYFS since it all came about...now the time is upon us to offcially start I'm just going to do what I do and if ofsted aren't that impressed...down grade me...as long my children adn parents are happy then i know i'm doing a good job.

It would also make our lives alot easier if Ofsted actually told us what they want and how they want it to look would clear up alot of headaches...but that of course is asking too much!

Schnakes
20-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I think that its interesting that alot of childminders are quitting because of the EYFS. It almost seems to me like its a protest quit rather than...Ive tried this thing and I hate it.

I agree that the extra paperwork is a pain in the bum and I wish that somewhere in all those reems and reems of paper Ofsted have sent us there is a clear definition of what is expected of us. HOWEVER! I think that if you are doing a good job with the kids then none of this should be a problem becuase (as they keep telling us!) - its what we are doing anyway!!

I used to go to childminders when I was growing up - the main reason I became one myself...and they were awful. Not a nightmare, no abuse etc...but we never did anything. We were given a room full of toys and left to our own devices. I think its great that the government are pushing for better standards. I do think some of is a bit much (and come on - that childminder in the piece who phoned the parents about coming home to see the first step?? That was just silly. That had nothing to do with the EYFS imo.), and alot of it is far more applicable to nursieries and not to childminders and that should be recognised...but apart from that...I really cant see why people are quitting over it before they've even tried it.

Sx

Rubybubbles
28-09-2008, 01:09 PM
i have to agree with you i only start this as i like arts and crafts:eek:

:eek: ekk bit of a difference to just arts and craft then lol!!

what about all the planning for it:laughing:

Blaze
28-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I notice one of our members comments is on there!

Pauline
28-09-2008, 01:49 PM

and they didn't even mention the forum :laughing:

Rubybubbles
28-09-2008, 02:02 PM

:huh: which one

barbarella68
28-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I take it you mean little old me.
They caught me when I was having a temper tantrum about policies and observations,so I vented my thoughts to them.
My husband rang me from work and said guess what your on the BBC.
He thought it was someone else with the same name.LOL,but no it was me:)

barbarella68
28-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh and Pauline by the way I apologise I didn't mention the forum,but unfortunately my mind was on Policies and observations and I was in a pickle but I promise if anything similar comes my way I will mention the forum.:D

Rubybubbles
28-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh and Pauline by the way I apologise I didn't mention the forum,but unfortunately my mind was on Policies and observations and I was in a pickle but I promise if anything similar comes my way I will mention the forum.:D

hehe:laughing:

Ripeberry
28-09-2008, 04:11 PM
What would OFSTED do if you DIDN'T do any planning or only did observations once a month but at the same time made sure you were really good on the health and safety and policies side.
What is the worst they can do?
Close you down because you did not produce copious amounts of paperwork?
If you can prove that the children have not been put in danger and were still enjoying themselves, it's just that you couldn't be bothered with EYFS is that
sufficient to close you down?

emmadines
28-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Ive just left a message although the grammer isnt fantastic I think they would get the idea!:blush: after all, Im not a teacher and will not claim to be!

Ok. I am a newly registered child-minder. I did the icp course just before last Christmas. I chose childminding so that I could be a mum to my two children whilst working and earning money to put towards the ever increasing household bills so we can live a relatively normal life (not with credit cards etc)
I now find myself trying to juggle paperwork, polices and all the other bits now related to the EYFs with the housework, my family, mainly my two young children who have to share me now with other children. I think our own families require out time too.
I had already started doing the daily diary so that they parents know what they child have and haven’t been doing, what they have achieved etc so why do we need this extra form filling etc its unnecessary! I thought we were supposed to be a home for home not a school from home. If I wanted to directly teach I would have gone to work in a nursery but Id rather children learn through play.

:blush: :blush: :blush: awwww the grammers bad

Lou
28-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Do you know, my tutor at college told me the other week, that there is nothing in the statutory guidence to say childminders have to have any WRITTEN planning etc.

Only prob with that though is Ofsted will ask what you are doing and then want to see evidence of it!!!

My point is that without all the paperwork etc you would still be ok with Ofsted because childminders are doing everything in the EYFS anyway but you would get a lower grade i guess.

Im not sure why people are up till all hours etc tbh you must be over complicating everything, find a nice simple system, we are not administrators, like i say childminders were doing most of it anyway!!!

Oh and another thing my tutor said there is NO right or wrong way to present your planning etc esp since Ofsted have not made that clear what they expect

crazybones
28-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I have to say (apart from my SEF - dont even go there) I feel that I am fine at the moment with all the"extra" stuff. Now that I have rejigged bits and spent all last Sunday sorting it properly, and have settled in my 2 new under 5's, it is all starting to fall into place and I am quite happy with it. I have been doing extra at night and weekends but only stuff like adding to my activities file and filling in a proper "plan" for the week. None of these plans have actually fully been stuck to yet :laughing: but I figure that's the point, we can always go back to them. I have even been doing my obs and planning for William because I have enjoyed it :eek: I figure by Xmas I will wonder what all the fuss is about and will be well into my stride and I am quite proud of what I have done so far. :blush:

Blaze
28-09-2008, 06:01 PM
LOL...actually there is more then one member!:laughing:

Pauline
29-09-2008, 05:41 PM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Rubybubbles
29-09-2008, 08:20 PM
LOL...actually there is more then one member!:laughing:

I was lost on the first one:panic:

who:p

buildingblocks
03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I was intrigued by this comment

"Perhaps a flipside to this fall in childminding numbers is that more people may do the proper training for the job and it may be seen as a higher status career choice - resulting in a win win situation for the children who need 100% dedication"

Why would the number of childminders falling have anything to do with the ones that are left doing proper training for the job. Or is it just me who fond that comment annoying.

I have always backed the EYFS and hoped that as we were all having to follow the same framework we would finally be classed on the same level. Boy am I disillusioned. All I see when I read hte revised EYFS is except for childminders why. I am sorry but if we are all having to follow the EYFS then we should all have to do it (yes I know most of us do over and above what is asked anyway). Don't get me started on the fact that I cannot access the same things as a nursery/preschool/accreddited childminder in our area because I am only a childminder.

sorry folks for rant off soap box now

Schnakes
05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
What really bugs me is that there is this high expectations of us and yet (in my area anyway) we have not received any additional training. If there is training its smack bang in the middle of the day (they used to run weekend courses bt no more!) and I cant afford to take time off, not getting paid to do courses like nursery staff are.

I guess I feel jelous of the nurseries. They get paid mega money by the parents (and probably dont have to quibble over every single invoice they get given either :angry: ) yet get free and accessable training for the EYFS. Childminders get sweet FA yet have to live up to the same standards.

(Ha! Note how my tone has changed from my last post on this thread BEFORE the EYFS came into force, lol!!! :blush: )

Sx