PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE PLEASE ON WORKING OUT FEES

kelly76x
10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
hello i'm probally jumping ahead of myself ( but i'm excited as it might be my first mindee :clapping: ) i might be having an 11 month old boy full time the prob is mom works shifts at the hospital and i may have to do a few saturday mornings for which i charge extra as i dident want to work weekends. so how can i work out fees when she only knows what shes working 2 weeks in advance. what i thought was work out fees monthly for a normal monday to friday then at end of the month add on the extra for any saturday mornings i have done does that sound right ?

i just dont want to look stupid whe she comes i want to look all professional. i was lucky really as my mom oer heard her saying in the staff room that she needed a childminder as hers was messing her about and wanted to get a new one so my mom gave her my card and she was impressed with my website and apparenlty shes gonna speak to her hubby about it so fingers crossed lol

sarah707
10-01-2008, 07:38 AM
No idea sorry Kelly - never done shift work... maybe you could just charge a week in advance instead of monthly...?

I just wanted to say good luck :D

miffy
10-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I think trying to sort out your fees monthly here could be a nightmare unless her shifts follow a very regular pattern. I think I'd go weekly to start with.

You'll have to bear in mind that whether she's at work or not you will have to save a space for her child - that's one of your under five spaces gone all week so what you charge has to reflect that.

You might decide to charge her a minimum number of hours per week that you would be happy with whether the child is there or not and then add on any hours over that amount.

There are lots of ways to do this and you've just got to work out what suits you.

Good luck - hope it works out for you

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Good luck I hope she gets back to you

I have a few nurses who do shift work

Their hours change all the time

They have to give me their hours the Friday before so I know what I am doing for that following week

In my contract it says I will do no less than 10 hours minding - so if they want less then they still have to pay 10 hours
Sometimes the mom was only doing 4 hours a week which of course was no good to me
This way at least I know I am going to get at least 10 hours money regardless of if she is working less
Hope you understand that

If she does not give me her hours on a Friday she can not expect me to be free either - I have to change one of my other children for her( easy because she works from home ) So if she forgets her hours then she still must pay for the 10 hours

Not sure if this helps but that is what I do anyway

Others may do something that is more simple

Good luck

Angel xx

It does sound really complicated and a bit of a pain but it is simple really

Your business though you do what you feel is right

chubbymummy
10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
i don't do shift work either, just wanted to say don't undercut yourself, it's hard at first 'cos you just want to fill your spaces!!!

hope it all works out

deeb66
10-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Sorry I can't really offer any good advice as I don't, nor have I ever done shift work.

Good luck....let us know what you decided to do

gailee
10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
is she getting her childcare paid for??? if so i would charge her for the full week and saturdays as mindee is coming to you full time ? that would keep her place as she will use one of your places under 12 months old?? and if her shift work changes every week the full day charge will keep her place and you won't need to keep working out payment each time ???? i hope this is readable and understandable??? gailx :eek: