PDA

View Full Version : am i being petty??

TRACEY1969
19-08-2008, 05:53 PM
This is my first time on here so i hope i have posted this in the correct section. I have been childminding now for 4 years and i mostly look after teen moms have there children while they go back to school/college. I have had one for 3 years now and the mom is just messing me about. I have her child 3 days a week while she is at college and in the hols i have him once/twice a week depends when she wants to bring him down. It's getting to the stage where i am arranging the days in the hols with her and she isn't letting me know until late at night if she is bringing him down or not. I have told her now if i don't get an answer in the day i will be going out with my children for the day. Do you think this is wrong of me as i do get paid for him in the hols but it's got to the stage where she is only giving me hours notice.

Tracey

Nicki L
19-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I dont think you are being petty at all. She should be more considerate, she must know you plan your days.

I think you are right to ask her for more notice, you need to know where you are.

Hope you get this sorted

Nicki
xx

TRACEY1969
19-08-2008, 06:03 PM
he starts nursery in September and she hasn't given me the dates when he starts. My kids use that school so i roughly know when they start but nursery have different start dates. She has booked me for another year so she can got back to college again. She doesn't pay me a penny Care to Learn do so it's not as if i owe her anything.

Nicki L
19-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I dont think it matters who pays you - its just good manners.

I would stick to your guns and tell her that she needs to give you at least 24 hours notice so that you can plan your day. She is not being fair on you.

Nicki
xxx

devoncm
19-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I wouldnt say you were being at all, if the shoe was on the other foot im sure she would get annoyed also.
not sure if all nurseries at school are the same mine the usual children go back the same day as school children and new children the day after or whenever there day is iyswim.

Id say to her that it is really important you know what days you have the child so you can plan suitable activities and if you have other enquiries then her child might miss out as she has not let you know.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I think you are being very patient and too understanding.

I would take it that he isn't coming in the holidays unless you are told otherwise and I would purposely be out for a week when she is supposed to arrive.

I am sure you will get some respect then.

Be assertive and don't let mum call the shots.

Debbie

miffy
19-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I would say that you needed to know the days for the week by the end of the previous week so that you could plan what you're doing and that if the child did not arrive when they should you could not guarantee to be in.

This parent is being very rude and inconsiderate - don't let her get away with it any longer

Miffy xx

lolatallulah
19-08-2008, 08:42 PM
You're not being petty at all, it's in the minded child's best interests for you to know exactly when to expect them so you can plan for their needs but also your own children need to have the stability of knowing who is going to be coming to their house on any given day.
My children are really welcoming to the minded children but as they get older it makes a difference to their plans (just how many invitations to her pretend party will my eldest have to write out!?!) and how they see their day panning out.
You're no-one's skivvy and unless you lay down the law some people will try to treat you like a babysitter - no disrespect to all those hard working babysitters out there!

angeldelight
20-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I dont think you are being petty at all. She should be more considerate, she must know you plan your days.

I think you are right to ask her for more notice, you need to know where you are.

Hope you get this sorted

Nicki
xx

I agree with everyone else

Hope you manage to sort it out I think she is taking advantage here

Angel xx

Bushpig
20-08-2008, 10:42 AM
You're not being petty at all, it's in the minded child's best interests for you to know exactly when to expect them so you can plan for their needs but also your own children need to have the stability of knowing who is going to be coming to their house on any given day.
My children are really welcoming to the minded children but as they get older it makes a difference to their plans (just how many invitations to her pretend party will my eldest have to write out!?!) and how they see their day panning out.
You're no-one's skivvy and unless you lay down the law some people will try to treat you like a babysitter - no disrespect to all those hard working babysitters out there!

I agree with everyone - you have been far too lenient and she is taking advantage.

ruby
20-08-2008, 11:31 AM
have to admit we are in the same boat with one set of parents who either dont turn up or is late no phone call or will phone hours after they should have arrived.

have decided that when we renew our contracts in september will put a bit in about if child not arriving on time and no phone call then we will carry on our day and if involves going out then they will have to find us and drop of where ever we are.

it is very annoying especially if you have told the children they are going out and then change your plans

not sure how to word it yet

cathy

cloud9
20-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I think she is taking advantage tbh i would say that you should implement a policy saying that if you dont get 48 hours notice you will expect unsocial (double pay) but she probably wouldnt care if she doesnt pay it. I would start to say no on occasions she will soon start being more considerate.

Mollymop
20-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree with what everyone says, you are not being petty at all - she needs to let you know when you are having the little one. I woudl ask her to let me know the week before then at least you have to to arrange what you are doing.
Don't feel guilty xxx

mimo
20-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Explain to her that you need yo know a week in advance when you are having her lo as you need to be able to plan activities and obtain resources and whilst you understand that sometimes things change at the last moment you do need as much notice as humanly possible.She probably just hasnt even realised that it effects you .And no your not being petty you need to know not waste your day waiting for her as it impacts on the care you can offer your other mindees

TRACEY1969
20-08-2008, 07:19 PM
i have spoken to my development officer (who is new) and she said that if i am getting paid for that day i MUST stay at home all day as that is what i am getting paid for. I don't think i will be taking her advice again i have 3 children 2 are teenagers and 1 is 10 and they get bored at home. To be honest i didn't expect that reaction from her and i was very shocked she said it. I am going to let the parent contact me from now on, she doesn't start college till mid September and then i will only have him 3 mornings a week. The parent is still very young as i deal with teen parents and i try and put it as blunt as poss so they understand but i think this needs spelling out abit more. Many thanks for all your replies and advise.

Tracey

christine e
20-08-2008, 07:29 PM
i have spoken to my development officer (who is new) and she said that if i am getting paid for that day i MUST stay at home all day as that is what i am getting paid for. I don't think i will be taking her advice again i have 3 children 2 are teenagers and 1 is 10 and they get bored at home. To be honest i didn't expect that reaction from her and i was very shocked she said it. I am going to let the parent contact me from now on, she doesn't start college till mid September and then i will only have him 3 mornings a week. The parent is still very young as i deal with teen parents and i try and put it as blunt as poss so they understand but i think this needs spelling out abit more. Many thanks for all your replies and advise.

Tracey

What a load of rubbish (your dev officer). It is totally unacceptable that you should be expected to stay in for this parent. I would go round the twist if I had to stay in!
Like most of the others have said I would ask for days required at the end of the week for the coming week

Cx

Monkey1
20-08-2008, 07:37 PM
POPPYCOCK! A friend of mine was in a similar position. Parent would drop off 3 or 4 hours late an still expect her to be in. I'm sorry but we are ment to do PLANNING so we can prove what we do with children etc etc, are we supposed to sit in and wait for these parents and throw the planning down the pan?
She gave notice in the end and Parent got really nasty. But i'm sorry i think its only MANNERS to turn up on time or at least to phone/ text to say if there is any change of plan.

If you stay in and wait for this parent you are not asking for any respect from her. I would leave a note on the door saying, "sorry, waited as long as i could, call me on my mobile and i will let you know where you can meet me to drop off your child"