PDA

View Full Version : Meant to be starting childminding in september but I am pregnant!!

jw19nr
19-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi, I just found out I am pregnant with my 2nd, and now panicking. I am meant to be starting childminding in September.

What usually happends when I childminder is pregnant? Do the parents find somewhere else to put their children? I dont want to let everybody down, but i it was me, I wouldn't want to send my child somewhere, and then move them once they have settled. I have put so much time, effort and money into this, I dont want to just not do it!

Any advice?

sarah707
19-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I worked until I had about a week to go and took 2 weeks off... but it's down to you and how you are feeling really.

Did you have an easy time last time?

The other thing to remember is not to say anything too soon ... give yourself some time to get used to the idea, especially if it was a bit of a scary moment when you found out.

Good luck with it all! There's a forum babies section you can investigate now :D

sue32
19-08-2008, 12:50 PM
When I was pregant with my second child (16 years ago) I told parents that I would take upto 4 weeks of and then start minding again after that, because I had my own d that they were playmates together it worked very well. I ended taking aweek before birth and two weeks after and apart from sleeping in eariler evening in front of the tv it went very well, talk to parents and make it clear what you will be doing. Congratulations on your news:jump for joy: :jump for joy:

littlesprogs
19-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Congratulations!!!

I had exactly the same problem as you i found out i was pregnant a month after my pre-reg visit. I was prepared to keep working throughout the pregnancy and then just take time off around the time of the birth. Then we found out we were being posted to a different area and so i decided not to bother starting working till after he was born because we moved house just before my 20 week scan.

It is really your decision only you know our circumstances and if you need the money that much etc. I was lucky coz i knew we could manage living off my hubbys wages throughout the pregnancy. Yes the extra money would've come in handy but we could afford to pay the bills.

Hope everything goes well whatever you decide x x

Nic0412
19-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Cant' really offer any advice as I have never been in that situation, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS and that I hope everything goes well whatever you decide.

Nic x

jw19nr
19-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you everybody. Feel a bit better about it all now! Will just carry on as planned and keep my mouth shut for now!

Mollymop
19-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Congratulations!!!!:jump for joy:

Wiggly
19-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to say congratulations on your news.

Just work out what time you want off and be honest with potential customers.

Wiggly
x

balloon
19-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Congratulations on your wonderful news.:clapping:

cloud9
19-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Congratulations on your news.:clapping:
Not to be cynical but
The only thing i would say is that if you are currently seeing prospective parents i would be open with them and tell them you are pregnant and what you intend to do about taking time off etc. i wouldn't not tell them because at some point it will be obvious to them that you were pregnant at the original meeting and they may think that you misled them, causing yourself a lot of problems which you wont need.

hbomb1
19-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Congratulations :D

cherry
19-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Just wanted to say Congratulations :)

netty
19-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Congraulations:)

Netty xxx

ziggy
19-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Congratulations:)

LOOPYLISA
19-08-2008, 03:58 PM
CONGRATULATIONS X:thumbsup:

katickles
19-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh Congratulations!!! Another forum baby! So whens this one due???

I agree about meeting potential new parents, just let them know & then its upto them isn't it.

Congratulations again though :clapping: :clapping:

Spangles
19-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree that you should tell parents that you are pregnant. I would be really annoyed if it was me and I put my child with someone only to find out they were pregnant at the start of the contract and had hidden it from me. In my circumstance I live far from any relatives and wouldn't be able to easily cater for a break in childcare.

On the other hand, you may find it fits perfectly with some parents who only maybe want a few months contract or who have other people nearby to cover for the time you have off.

I definitely wouldn't keep it from them even if it meant losing business in the short term.

Congratulations by the way!

tulip0803
19-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Congratulations:) . :clapping: :clapping:

I was pregnant wjilst minding but most of my mindees were long term (I hadn't just started) and I just told the parents when I would be going on maternity leave (1 week before due date). But I still had someone want me for a short term contract when I was obviously hugely pregnant (not difficult as I was huge from 3 months!:rolleyes: ) so continue registering as you may find some short termers. and can then start properly when you are ready after the birth:) .

charleyfarley
19-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Congratulations :clapping: :clapping:

I was 3 months pregnant when I re-started minding again after moving house.
I told the parent before she visited and she was fine about it.

I resumed minding after having a c section 4 days later, I do recover quickly.

I could have took longer but I chose not to.

Time off all depends on the birth and how quickly you feel like minding again.

Carol xx

Nicki L
19-08-2008, 05:46 PM
congratulations!!!:clapping:

elaineg
19-08-2008, 05:49 PM
congratulations

love Elaine XX

jw19nr
19-08-2008, 07:00 PM
It's not a matter of agreeing to take on extras and telling them at the first meeting...I have already met them, agreed to take on their children as soon as my Registration comes through etc.

angeldelight
20-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Just catching up

Congratulations to you

Some great advice from everyone and it seems that everyone else cope ok

So I hope you still continue

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Angel xx