PDA

View Full Version : All About Me book

hbomb1
19-08-2008, 09:35 AM
I have got an 11 month old starting with me in a couple of weeks and I am wanting to create a scrapbook type book entitled "All About Me". I am not sure what to put in it though. My two sons had one of these when in nursery and I have just read through them both to get some idea, however as they were older they were able to draw pictures and have conversations with the staff etc.

I had thought about putting a photograph of mindee on the front cover and then a paint print of his hands inside the first page...after that I am stuck.

Obviously because mindee is still a baby, I am struggling. I am panicking because he will be my only mindee currently from September and I think I may be due inspection and it will be against EYFS and I am worried about not doing the right things. :panic: :panic: :panic: With my current mindee I regularly take photographs of him playing and creating pictures, etc and I put them in his daily diary which then goes home for parents to see. I intend doing something similar with new mindee but wanted a scrapbook as well detailing other activities we will be doing and link them to the relevant areas of learning.

Do you think I should forget about the scrapbook until mindee is older??

Please help...

mimo
19-08-2008, 09:42 AM
why dont you start the scrap book when he starts >Put in his hand and footprints photos of him sitting pulling him self up make a not of amount of teeth ect.even give him a crayon and paper and take a photo of him making marks on the paper he could do the same every month /2 months to show the progress he has made put those in then add to it as he does new things it will be a nice record for his parents when he leaves and will also show the progress he has made.

hbomb1
19-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks Jackie, that's a great help. :thumbsup:

Annie_T
20-08-2008, 12:05 AM
ive used this for my own 2 children, maybe it could help you hun x

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/miscellaneous/all_about_me.htm

hbomb1
20-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks Annie. I will play about with that once I have got dressed!!! :blush:

NikNak
20-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I would ask parent for pics of family and home to put in. I would put in pics of things mindee does and put a comment next to pic such as pulling self up,crawling, reaching for a ball, messy play, drawing, eating, etc etc. I have a mindee similiar age and take pics of him every day to tell his story. My older mindees love to look through his book and read the funny comments/captions I put by each pic. You can add any random obs you have made and link them to the EYFS. This way you are covered with all the EYFS requirements of observing, assesing and planning! You could talk the inspector through the book and explain why you did particular activities with mindee (this covers next steps bit)!

Hope this helps.x

NikNak
20-08-2008, 08:07 AM
By the way, I just use a large scrap book and selotape it all on to the pages.x

NikNak
20-08-2008, 08:09 AM
oh also just remembered I also do a daily diary to record childs sleeps, food ,mood, etc etc for parent to take home daily and record any info they want to.x

hbomb1
20-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks Niknak, you have given me lots of ideas. :D

I do the daily diary with my current mindee but he is leaving me next week :(
In that I stick in photographs showing mum and dad what mindee has been doing on each day and detail his moods and what he has played with etc.

I best start planning for 11 month old starting in a couple of weeks and I MUST also do my SEF before September.....running out of time :panic:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. :thumbsup:

sue m
20-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Thank goodness you said all that Niknak!!! lol It's just what I do. My mindees are a brother and sister 2.5 and a year old and I do the scrap book and show Mum and Dad and they will take it when they leave me and I keep more or less the same one for ofsted to see but write more in it. My little one does not want to learn colours or anything much really, when I ask him or try and do colours he says "I don't know Sue" and really has no interest. I do try on the days that I have him (3 per week) and have bought a book from M&S with colours in. Dad says he does know his colours and he's messing me about but I don't think that's the case and I'm loathe to write things like that in the book the parents see? He loves to play but sitting and doing anything other than painting, he doesn't really want to know and here am I, bouncing with enthusiasm and he just give me a funny look! LOL

sue m
20-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I was doing my SEF too last night till about 11pm, still not quite finished it and cos I have no confidence in myself, I always think I'm the only one who's written it all wrong!!! :panic: I've been looking after children for 36 years (my own and as a c'minder) and loved it but these days it's very wearing.

hbomb1
20-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I have been minding since May and am already struggling and finding it frustrating, mostly due to the fact that my phone hardly ever rings :(

I have only completed the first question. Read through Sarah's e-book which has helped me understand everything a lot more but I have not got a lot of info to input.

Hope you manage to get yours finished. :)

sue m
20-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks Helen. I think I'm going to be asking for advice!!! lol I wish I didn't have this 'thing' about everyone else knowing what they are doing and I'm the only one who doesn't cos really I know it's not true! I've got two lovely mindees, brother and sister and I'm constantly flashing away with me camera and sticking photos in their own scrap book and the one I'm doing for ofsted and writing things beside the photo but still worry it's wrong! I've got a piccy my little boy pushing a pink buggy with a black doll and then taking its clothes off and then sit ages looking through all the arreas of learning and development it is. Hopeless!

NikNak
20-08-2008, 10:12 AM
That made me laugh! It really doesn't have to be more than a word to describe which development/obs it may cover just as long as you have noticed the childs development etc will be enough for ofsted. x

sue m
20-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I know but I find the urge to keep adding bits to explain!!!!! :D

hello kitty
12-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I like your link Annie thank you. :)

morse
13-09-2008, 07:39 PM
so do l thanks given me lots of new things to try out:)