PDA

View Full Version : Need a new printer- any recs?

miss mopple
19-08-2008, 07:06 AM
My poor old cheapie printer is finally having to be laid to rest. It has been very faithful to me but just can't cope any longer with the masses of stuff needed for its friend the laminator, so has now asked to be put out of its misery :(

So its time to upgrade to a new shiny younger model :D

Has anyone got any recommendations? Ideally I'd like one that does quality photos as well, but that won't cost me a bomb on ink each month ( don't ask much do I :laughing: )

Bushpig
19-08-2008, 07:08 AM
My poor old cheapie printer is finally having to be laid to rest. It has been very faithful to me but just can't cope any longer with the masses of stuff needed for its friend the laminator, so has now asked to be put out of its misery :(

So its time to upgrade to a new shiny younger model :D

Has anyone got any recommendations? Ideally I'd like one that does quality photos as well, but that won't cost me a bomb on ink each month ( don't ask much do I :laughing: )

I have an Epson at home, love it. Does fab photo quality pics. Being a graphic designer too, I am rather fussy about print quality! It was £160, but it is also a scanner and copier.:thumbsup: Your best bet is PC World.. I don't think much of their sales people but you'll get a good deal there I would think, I always have.

miffy
19-08-2008, 07:10 AM
I have a Samsung - it's just a printer but I think it's great

Miffy xx

Bushpig
19-08-2008, 07:10 AM
'So its time to upgrade to a new shiny younger model'

ps: You are also on the lookout for a new hubby/partner??? :littleangel: hehe

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2008, 07:14 AM
I recently brought a Brother than scans/copies/faxes etc but am not that impressed with it as the thicker paper gets stuck. I did buy it from PC World and you can order online and collect in store for the cheaper price.

I love my Epson though and it prints and prints and prints.

If I were looking again I would trawl a few sites and then check out a cheap ink supplier to see how much inks are (I use www.box-shift.co.uk) and go from there.

Good luck

Debbie

ajs
19-08-2008, 07:18 AM
hewlett packard for us and we love them
i just bought an all in one scanner photocopier printer and it has a memory card slot for the photographs etc we love it and it wasn't too expensive
well def under £100

Nicki L
19-08-2008, 07:21 AM
sorry i dont know much bout printers, but my hubby who works in IT has always said cannon as although the printers seem to be a bit more expensive the ink cartridges are cheaper. We did in the past buy a cheaper printer - lexmark, but the cartridges are really expensive.

Nicki

LOOPYLISA
19-08-2008, 08:16 AM
We have a hp photosmart, scanner, copier printer great photos aswell, we have just had to replace inks a pack of 6 with black and colour, plus 3 packs of glossy photo paper included £36.00!, i think the printer cost around £100 in pc world x:thumbsup:

Cheeky
19-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi

I have the Hp photosmart (printer, copier, scanner) too and love it. We bought ours on the internet for about £60 a few months ago but im sure i saw it in WH Smith just the other day for under £50, i was kicking myself.

Cheeky
19-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Here's the link to the 3 in 1 in WH Smith, not sure if its exactly the model we have as im not at home just now:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-HP+C4280+3+in+1+printer-32890532.html

HTH

cloud9
19-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I have hp to and i have found it the cheapest on ink cartridges i pay £22 for a colour and b & w double pack in tesco for a official hp cartridge.
Its also a photo printer and touch wood i have never had a printer for so long.

nannysue
19-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I have a Lexmark printer/scanner/copier its very good and not very expensive but on the down side the ink cartridges aren't cheap ( i do seem to use rather a lot of ink, can't understand why!!!!)

Sue x

fluffysocks
20-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I've just brought an Epson DX8400 from tescos for £50 down from £100 (i believe amazon.co.uk are doing it to), its a scanner/copier/printer that does photo prints. it take 4 inks at about £7 each depending on where you shop. Its a little noisier than others but i think its fab besides its not that noisy you cant hear the TV. Its quick and you can print photos straight from the camera or memory card so saves having to switch the computer on.

barbarella68
20-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I bought a Kodak all in one printer and it is fantastic,photos are clear ,ink lasts longer and it only costs £15.99 for both the colour and black ink which I get from Argos.
I have had a Cannon,hp and epson before and this is the best by far.:)

DCS
23-08-2008, 12:19 AM
hiya,

I have a HP office jet pro L7780 all in one. Pricey, but will stand up to the rigors of Ofsted rules and regulations!

Cecile
x

miffy
23-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Which did you decide on?

Everyone seems to prefer different ones

Miffy xx

Monkey1
23-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Tesco's had some hp ones on offer today at 29.99. So i reckon it's cheaper to buy a new printer than the ink refils on mine!:rolleyes: :idea: :eek:

mummyroysof3
24-08-2008, 08:08 AM
hi, im planing on getting the cheap hp one from tesco, the refills are about £10-£12 i think so thats quite good

charlotte x

samgeordie
24-08-2008, 11:18 AM
i got a lexmark a few months ago it was only about £30, just ordered more ink and got some a bw + colour remanufactured cartridges from 365ink.com for a total of £17. Its a printer/copier/scanner and Ive been quite happy with it. I got it in Comet.

Willowdancer
25-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I use a Canon all-in-one at home but our business is actually printer sales and maintenance and we only sell HP Laserjets. (However, that's a bit overkill for a home-based business and I'm sure nobody here would have a use for the enormous great stacks of paper trays we sell to go with them :laughing:)

I have no problem with my Canon MP830 though, and I also use a continuous inking system with it so I don't have to keep faffing about changing cartridges.

littletreasures
25-08-2008, 10:01 PM
You might laugh. We are going through so much ink here running 2 printers, one for my childminding stuff and one that the kids do their school work on, we are actually thinking of buying a laser printer.

Which one would you recommend?

Willowdancer
25-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok...questions from the other half:

1) are you printing on plain paper or special inkjet paper? Do you use glossy paper for photos?

2) do you normally print letters in colour or is it mostly photos or full-page colour? (He is trying to find out how much colour is on the page so he can work out how much ink or toner usage you would have.)

3) do you only print A4 size?

4) how many pages (on average) do you print per month?

5) what are you currently using?

littletreasures
26-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Here goes with the answers

1) Plain paper - some tesco value and some premium. Don't print off many photos as it uses too much ink.

2) Usually black with a bit of colour at the top for my brochures, policies etc. Kids have some colour for photos for projects, but only print that on ordinary paper not photo paper.

3) A4 and A5.

4) Policies permission form booklet is 65 pages long + stuff for childminding. I should think I probably print at least 50 per month. Perhaps now my youngest is doing her GCSE course and son is doing A level course they will probably perhaps print 50 pages per month between them on the other printer.

5) I use an hp 2460 inkjet printer and the kids are using Canon Pixma iip3000.
I have my printer downstairs using my laptop with Vista and the main computer has XP so I can't print my stuff off on the Canon.

Hope these answers help. Thanks Ali

mummyroysof3
26-08-2008, 05:08 PM
hi ive bought a HP deskjet F2290 all in one printer for £29.97 from tesco i just unpacked it to test it out and duh its not got a USB cable with it lol

charlotte x

miss mopple
31-08-2008, 03:27 PM
We went for the HP Photosmart C5280 in the end. It was down to £59.99 so a bargain :thumbsup:

DH is setting it up now-I'm almost looking forward to the EYFS now so I can print lots more lovely paperwork on it :laughing:

CCJD
31-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I am looking to replace my printer (I once made the mistake of self- filling the colour cartridge and it's never been the same since.) So I was talking to the brother in law who works in computers and he made a very valuable suggestion (especially as I now need to print off so many more photos) and that was to buy a printer where instead of having an all in one colour cartridge to buy a printer where each colour comes in it's own individual cartridge.
IF you have an all in one colour cartridge then the minute one colour runs out the whole thing needs to be binned when you still actually have ink for the other colours still in there.
On my current one the blue always goes first and he's right I do have to bin the whole cartridge regardless of whether there is anything left in it.