PDA

View Full Version : ratios

cazchildminding
17-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi. Ofsted said i can have 3 children + my one toddler.

so thats 2 under 5, 1 over 5

or 3 over 5

Whats the highest amount of children any one childminder has? If i move into a house i would be allowed more? I live in a 2 bedroomed big apartment at the mo!

Just looking for in the future. i'd love another baby myself but that would mean only being allowed 1 under 5 to mind. Not much moneys to be made

My partner asked me ' would you even want to child mind with 2 toddlers of your own' anyone doing it? :p

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Ofsted rules are governed by the Childcare Act

If you have been told that you can have 3 plus your own you have a choice. Your certificate will probably say 3 under 8 so you can make the mix yourself as long as you do not have more than 2 under 5 plus your own.

The maximum you could have regardless of the size of your house is 6 less your own under 8. Over 8 Ofsted do not regulate but they will ask how much space is there if you have over 8's for your under 8's

Hope that makes sense

Debbie

tulip0803
18-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Your original inspector may have restricted your numbers as you are newly registered (my inspector did this when I first registered first time) When you have a bit of experience they may be willing to increase your numbers - They allowed me another space the following year and did offer me full numbers but I preferred to keep it to 4 + dd who was 4 and ds who was 9.

However many children you are registered for it includes your own until they reach 8 years. Normally the maximum number of children under 5 (including your own) is 3. So childminders who have 2 under 5s would only be allowed 1 minded child under 5.

Any money coming in is extra money to buy luxuries with and once your own child reaches the next stage he frees up an under 5 space so it is only temporary for a few years. Once they reach 8 they are no longer counted on numbers but some inspectors like to be satisfied that you can still meet there needs and those of other children. And school age children can still bring in a reasonable amount particularly in holidays

Moving will not guarantee more children unless your inspector had advised you that space was an issue.

Only you can decide if you want to continue childminding with 2 toddlers but you always used to be able to stay registered for a time without minding so you could take an extended maternity leave and start minding again when you feel ready

Sorry to waffle on:D

melanieabigail2004
18-08-2008, 12:15 PM
The first time I was registered I was given 3 children plus my daughter. The second time I registered (long story!) I was given 4 children plus my two children.

I think it is space dependent and also experience is taken into account with your first Ofsted visit. You may be able to increase your numbers over time but its not god given (Ofsted are afterall a law unto themselves!) Moving house won't necessarily guarantee it either

Mel