PDA

View Full Version : Baby - high pitched Scream

Wiggly
16-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi All

Just looking for any experience of tactics in trying to discourage a just turned1 year old from very high pitch screaming for trying to get attention or just playing and screaming for fun really.

Her Mum and Dad are not happy with the screaming and I want to really try to help reduce it but it is a very difficult age to try to get child to understand.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Wiggly
x

childminder54
16-08-2008, 09:05 PM
hi cannot help ive got one the same it goes right through you he sometimes gives me a headache it is so bad look forward to comments..

veronicaxxx

sue m
16-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Difficult one. I've not had one thank goodness but my neighbours little boy, 3 next month does it and I love kids but he drives me nuts! He just does it all the time and Mum ignores him!!!! He's a great kid but boy does he scream! Not in anger or temper, just for the hell of it. When my granddaughter has a strop, I just talk in a very loud voice, louder than her, drown her out and say daft things to make her laugh but you can't always do that!!! :panic:

charleyfarley
16-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Both Mitchell and mindee do this and then laugh at me. Mitchell used to start it off but has now stopped it unless mindee starts it off. It is for attention with mine and normally when I'm trying to talk to mindees parents so now I either lock the stairgate so Mitchell can't come with me to the door, make sure they are outside playing as it never happens then or get hubby to bath our 2 when mindee is due to be collected. No help what so ever to you but it's a distraction and so the screaming stops. I don't notice the noise anymore I think I blank it out:D

So I would just try to distract the lo and see how that goes.

Good luck

Carol xx

sarah707
17-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I have a mindee who is a screamer...

I try and blank it out but by the end of the day it starts to hurt my head :(

singlewiththree
17-08-2008, 10:28 AM
We havent come up with any good suggestions really have we :-) My daughter was one too, she is now 3yrs and still had the odd time where she just screams it sounds like I'm killing her and is so embarassing when its in the supermarket! Just nothing seems to work, ignoring seems to make it louder. I have 3 daughters and she is the only one who does it.
good luck

Mrs.L.C
17-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi a friend of mine minded a little girl who did this so when she did start screaming, my friedn started singing which the encouraged the little girl to sing and stop the screaming

Also do they do this when they are on there own more?

angeldelight
17-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Scream louder ?? Kidding ha

I know what you mean and it does my head in to be honest

Ignore it and distract the child - dont mention it just move on from it

Hopefully they will forget about it and stop doing it

Good luck

Angel xx

fionamal
17-08-2008, 12:15 PM
The 9 month old that I have screams as well especialy if he has finished eating or having his milk. Goes right through you and I end up with a headache. Tried to distract him with other things but he just keeps going even if I cuddle him or talk or sing. Nothing seems to stop him. I pity the neighbours cos some days he can keep it up for hours.

Sorry got no advice either but do know how your feeling about it

miffy
17-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't think there's much you can do other than ignore it and try distracting the child

You could invest in some earplugs and make sure you've plenty of paracetamol :D

Miffy xx

disney
17-08-2008, 03:50 PM
i look after one hes 14 months and times i have to admit that i have considered giving him up :blush: but then i started looking after my grandson who does it as well and he is 9 months and lives with us , so it made me think well you cant give your own up so it would not be fair to give a mindee up . dont think their is much you can do sorry hun . but it dont last forever its usually just some thing most do at some point i think :rolleyes:
and well if they dont then you are very lucky x

Raggydolls
18-08-2008, 12:35 PM
well ive not had any experience with this but if it was my nephew i wud sit him on the settee away from others and any activities and sit with my finger over my mouth not speaking to him at all, or leaving him there until he stops then make a big fuss and allow him to play again, i know as a minder we are not allowed a naughty step/chair but sometimes if u have tried everything its the only option, sorry im not much help and i hope it gets better for u

leanne
xx

Wiggly
18-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Thank you for all your comments ladies of which I've read with interest. I shall discuss them with mindee's Mum and together decide a way forward to try to tackle this issue.

Will keep you updated on any progress and what works - lol.

Wiggly
x

hillbilly
18-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi

Its not easy with a little one, I have a 14 month old who does the same, and when she does, I gently say shhhh and then pick her up and take her somewhere else for distraction, to the window or in another room. This seems to work as the movement does distract her. If she screams during an activity, for example if we were reading a story I stop, shhhh and then move somehwere else and I dont continue until she has stopped, or at least lowered the tone a little.

Another thing to try is musical instruments. When they begin to scream give them a shaker/tambourine/wood block and ask them to see what sounds they can make with their hands rather than their voice?

For an older child I would try praise and reward for when she ISNT screaming. So for example, when she is playing without the screaming, tell her how lovely it is that she isnt screaming, and how pleased and proud you are of her. You could even draw up a reward chart to that every 15 minutes of non screaming she gets a sticker on a chart, and eventually extend the time span between stickers

Hope this helps us all have fewer headaches! :clapping: