PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions

balloon
15-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi

I'm sure I'm jumping the gun a little bit here but...

For the last eight months I've been living, eating, drinking and sleeping getting registered as a childminder. Now I am and was over the moon to get my certificate.

I have advertised locally in shop windows, the hospital, learning centre etc with a nice professional looking printed card and have done as much word of mouth as I'm able and not a sniff of interest. I've even done a website (can't link to it cos I haven't linked the forum on it as I'm a bit nervous of prospective parents reading posts and getting put off, lol!). I'm still waiting for the local CIS to get in touch, after I contacted them and they told me they'd be in touch as soon as Ofsted told them about me so I cannot go down that route as yet.

I'm a single mum and was told by the jobcentre that my area was crying out for childminders - that seems to be a vast exaggeration! But the thing is that I really do not want to be on benefits, I want to be working for my living so exaggeration or not I have to make this work.

I'm hoping somebody here may have some ideas that I haven't thought of yet, some way I can let the public know I am here and have vacancies...

SimplyLucy
15-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Hello, what area of Devon are you in.

I'm in east Devon and I having phone calls left right and centre at the moment.

Let me know where you are and if you are close enough I might be able to help.

I'd phone DISC directly, there number is on their website. The nice man I get to talk to always updates my details ASAP so he should be able to get you on the site pretty quickly.

Mrs.L.C
15-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Google childminders and see what sites are there for you to advertise on for free aswell. There are a few.
Also get in contact with any local minders as they may be full and can pass on your number

sarah707
I would say CIS is your shop window ... I get a lot of calls from there, especially if I ring regularly.

There is a thread with lots of advertising suggestions here ... maybe you'll spot something you haven't thought of...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171&highlight=advertising

Also, while I understand how you want to get off benefits, it's not wise to do anything until you have enough coming in to cover them. It's so hard to get re-started with benefits once you have come off them.

Good luck! :D

balloon
Hi Lucy, I'm in east Devon too. I'll pm you with my details (having just worked out how to do it, lol!)

balloon
15-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Thank you Laura and Sarah for your suggestions, I'll give them both a try. :)

I've taken on board what you've said about benefits too Sarah, I only have til March though and I have to come off them anyway (youngest child is 12 in December). I woke at five this morning worried sick as to how I'm going to make this work.

Anyway, off to google etc :)

angeldelight
15-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Good luck

Angel xx

Mrs.L.C
15-08-2008, 08:06 AM
It can take time to get started but once you do and you get more recognised, you should be fne. Do you have a support childminder? Its usualy hard to get started round here but as a support childminder, I passed on new childminders numbers (with others) when I got calls. Maybe yours (if you have one) could do the same if you aks nicely:)

But dont worry. Im sure you will be full by March - usualy picks up around Sept here. Dont know if anywhere else is the same but its goes in waves here

balloon
15-08-2008, 08:46 AM
thanks Angel. :)

I don't have a support childminder Laura, or any idea how to get one (unless details of that are in the pack I'm waiting for from CIS...)

Lx

Ebs71
15-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi, i dont have any advice but i just wanted to let you know your not alone as i also havn't had a whiff of interest, and when i have they have cancelled on me.

I had a support worker just after i went to my 1st induction, she rang me twice and i went to the local toddler group she ran then she decided to run a nursery so i havn't heard or seen her for about 6months, I would love to ask her loads of questions as she was very popular, and she had a waiting list (but not being reg at that time she couldn't pass any to me).

Ive become an advertise freak............ but its not working. As sarah Nev said i do think CIS is the best window.

Good luck, really hope you get some interest real soon

Hayley xx:thumbsup:

katickles
15-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I just wanted to say good luck!

I hope that you start getting calls soon. Thats really nice of Lucy so you never know you may get something from her way.

Like I said though, GOOD LUCK x

Oh just thought, do you have a t-shirt? Vista Print often do them for free you just pay the P&P so that maybe worth a go :)

Bushpig
15-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Post on netmums for your area too! Good luck!! :)

balloon
15-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. :)

I am thinking about getting T-shirts or a fleece printed, thanks for mentioning it though cos it's nice to know somebody more experienced thinks it's a good idea too. We have a print shop here in my town so it shouldn't be a problem to sort out.

I called our CIS again today but apparently my details haven't been passed down from Ofsted yet, they are unsure as to why and will phone me on Monday for another chat.

It was lovely of Lucy, I am always touched when somebody is so kind.

Hayley, hope you get some interest soon too. :)

Thanks Jenni, will try netmums too

NikNak
15-08-2008, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't advice spending any more money on advertising. Most parents who are looking for a childminder will get there contacts from their local CIS. You watch as soon as they recieve your details you will get calls I promise. As a parent and minder myself I personally would check any adverts I saw for childminders with the CIS registered list anyway. When I started out I too went advert mad but so far every enquiry/mindee has been from the CIS list.

Good luck.x

miffy
15-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck - sometimes it's hard to get started - if you look round the forum you'll see threads from other members who've felt the same but eventually most get work

Fingers crossed Lucy can pass some work on to you

Miffy xx

ChocolateChip
16-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi, I noticed your youngest was 12, are there any handy toddlers you could borrow from friends, neighbours, etc to take to a toddler group nearby, or have you any friends with young children you could tag along with?
Or are there any businesses/companies nearby that would let you put notices up in their staffroom?
Other than that I think you are doing all you can, sometimes it is just a waiting game unfortunately.
Good luck, hope you get something soon!

sue m
16-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I've got mine through word of mouth too. Namely Sandra up the road. I have a buddy and she also gets people to ring me if she's busy but it has been very quiet. Luckily I've got 2 part time which suits me fine at the moment.

I was on benefits - job seekers allowance which is about £60 pw? and now I'm working and get £99pw. Fabulous eh??? I agree with Sarah too. I'm 'lucky' cos I get benefits for my husband who is in a home but when something happens to him, I lose them and then I will literally managing on £99pw and it's obviously not enough.