PDA

View Full Version : What am I going to do?

nat1664
09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi all

Im starting to get really worried now..I know that I keep harping on about it, but I still have no mindees......I gave up my job on the 21st december and I only have one mindee that I have for one hour a day...so not good.

I have advertised every were I can think of and even been in to the local nursery today to say hello and let them know Im about.

Im getting desprate now....... :(

Nat

x

custardcream
09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
It is hard when you first start, but hopefully the work will soon start to roll in, just hang in there.

angeldelight
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hear that business is slow Nat that can happen when you first start

I am full but have had no calls for a while it is the way it is sometimes

I know that is not making you feel any better - but things will get better I promise you just have to be patient

Also think of anywhere else where you could advertise

Some of the girls here were like you last year then all of a sudden they were really busy

I hope you get some calls soon good luck

Angel xx

Spangles
09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry that it's so with you at the moment - I'm not exactly rushed off my feet but to be honest I don't want to be fully by any means so it suits me!

I've got at least one child every day for a few hours and that's enough maybe I will change my mind when I'm more experienced.

Are you on the CIS site because that's where most of my enquiries come from? Keep yourself on the top (I should take my own advice!) and in the sections where you say what you offer think of something that stands out to put in there that makes you different and that people might want and also list as many things as it will allow as some people on put a few basics so you will already look more appealing!

Have you done a local leaflet drop? I got quite a few calls from that. I made up a leaflet on my comp and hubby copied it at work for me! I still get calls from that and that was September but people keep them in case they need a minder in the future.

Go out and about with the mindee you have maybe wearing a NCMA badge or your own childminder t-shirts.

You will get calls it just sometimes takes a while and they often come in spurts which is a bit odd but true!

I hope you get calls soon as I know you've probably taken a big risk for this.

emma04
09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I completely understand how you must be feeling, i was and still am to a certain extent very worried about giving up my job and not finding anyone to mind. However they are slowly creeping out of the woodwork and i haven't advertised yet (don't start until Feb, as working my notice at current job). All i can say is that for ages now everyone i know has heard nothering else but the fact that i will be minding soon and from that, word has spread all over and i am getting enquiries (had 2 this week!!)

I know its a worry, but maybe you could take on a little evening job or somthing until you get off the mark a bit more, that was what i planned to do so i also told everyone that if they wanted a cleaner then to call me!!!

Don't give up, it'll work out:) :)

Tily Bud
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I really feel for you Emma, my first year of minding was the same - very slow to start but when it did :eek:

I am now full x so dont worry it will all come right in the end x

Cheryl x

Angela234
09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Emma i was the same when i first started every day you get up hoping to get a phone call that day but it didn't happen very disheartening.

It will happen soon i find evan now i don't get any calls for months then several in a week.

TRY THIS;
One childminder in our area e-mailed every childminder saying she was new and if they had any calls they had no room for could they pass on her number

Not a bad idea i passed her number on to a couple of people

Good luck

Angela

Angela234
09-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Sorry Nat i put Emma for some reason

Angela

emler
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi Nat

You have already been given some good advice - I just wanted to say don't be too disheartened, it will take time but the calls will come.

Emler x

nat1664
09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks every one, I think I will try the email idea and do a leaflet drop,
Hopefully some thing will come along soon :)
Ill keep you posted

Nat

x

deeb66
09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Are you a member of a childminding group or general toddler group?

If you are does the group leader (or someone in the group) run a vacancy list whereby you all can list you vacancies and if one of you gets a call and can't help then can pass details of other minders to prospective parent?

I have found this has worked really well in the past.

I run a toddler group and we do this but we also share the information with 2 other local childminder groups so potentially can get our names on 3 different local lists......does this make sense?

chubbymummy
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
it'll all come together

when i started i was the same now i have to turn them away

have you put an advert in the local baby clinic? just a thought

Mollymop
09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Big hugs to you Nat, don't worry soon you will be fighting them all off as you will be full!
I am sending you lots of luck.
Leaflet drop is a good idea as there maybe people with children close by that need a minder and they might ring you before they choose anyone else because of the convenience of being near by.

bubbly
09-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Nat, I started minding at the beginning of Dec '07 and I only have one permanent mindee. I kinda feel that was a fluke! I have the mindee's sister too but she's only temporary and will leave soon. I'm wondering if I'll have a long wait too to fill my spaces. I'm encouraged by all the lovely people here who say things will pick up in time.

Schnakes
09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi - just a message to say that pretty much everyone goes through that worry when they first start...when I firs set myself up I was only earning £75 a week for the first three months and it was a nightmare...I even started looking for jobs in my old sector...but when I started getting offers from companies I decided that childminding was what I had wanted to do for years and that I would stick it out! By the end of the year I was absolutely full. It comes, dont worry. :) You'll be wishing you had some spare time in no time at all!! :D

Sx

mrsbumbles
09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Last year i only had two enquires all year,!!! lucky i had long term mindees so wasnt too bothered, all the minders in this area were struggling to get new mindees. This week i have had three enquiries and had to turn two of them away, all the minders are full, and parents are finding it difficult to place their children.
This is the way it goes in this job, something will come along and surprise you and then you wont look back.

John
Don't feel like that, it will take time for parent's to get to know your here and have a good service to offer, you have one child now just for the hour but hopefully if the parents like what you are doing for their child and we all know what girls are like very good talkers :) lol and she will say to other parents how good you are with her child, i have done a lot of advertising but word of mouth is the best advertiser you can have. But keep your chin up pass it around and do the advertising and you will get the children in the next few months you will be proberly turning parents away.

I don't think anyone said put an advert in your local college and buisness cards if the college will alow, as there are more people going in tp full time education and will need an childminding.

Chin up,

John.

Blaze
It was the same with me...you just have to hang on in there!
Tasha:)