PDA

View Full Version : Gobsmacked

Pipsqueak
13-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I have just been doing my monthly vacancy ringround and I cannot believe it - one of the minders said can I ask you a question, ok I said, she said she had seen something about DFS. I was confused and said so - she said it may not have been quite that but it sounded like it - so I tentatively said EYFS and she said yes thats it. I said ok whats the question - bracing myself to show of my wonderful knowledge (:rolleyes: ) but nothing prepared me for the next bit

what is it she says?

After picking me jaw after the floor I asked what she meant - (cutting a long convo short here) she didn't have a clue about it didn't even know what EYFS stands for. Reckons she has only just heard mention of it. She doesn't even have a pack and didn't know it comes into force 1st sept and certainly doesn't "get" that it has a statutory element (but thats what our standards are for!!!:eek: :eek: ) She wants me to go round and talk her through it - erm no get yourself on a training course love.

And Miffy thought she had dibs on that patch of sand - reckon this lady must have been buried deep below Miffys head ! lol :laughing:

Monkey1
13-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Was she pulling your leg? Does she ever open post? (thats coming from someone who opens post in a monthly bulk and wonders why the credit cards keep charging late fees!:blush: ) But even i open post that is obviously for childminding, admittedly most of it gets filed (in the bin) but how on earth has she missed all this? Its been going on for over 12 months!:eek:

miffy
13-08-2008, 05:03 PM
And Miffy thought she had dibs on that patch of sand - reckon this lady must have been buried deep below Miffys head ! lol :laughing:

I wondered who it was! Couldn't understand what she was saying :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I hate to say it but I am not that surprised - I know some childminders who know very little about EYFS and far more who don't want to know anything about it. As for me - well I'm going to take a little peak at it next weekend!

Miffy xx

sarah707
13-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh goodness!

She is in for a very big shock methinks :panic:

Pipsqueak
13-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I wondered who it was! Couldn't understand what she was saying :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I hate to say it but I am not that surprised - I know some childminders who know very little about EYFS and far more who don't want to know anything about it. As for me - well I'm going to take a little peak at it next weekend!

Miffy xx

:laughing: I have dug up your pal now!!!

Is that this weekend coming or the weekend next???:D

Monkey she wasn't having me on at all - she genuinly didn't know what on earth it was. she is an older lady who has been doing minding for 30 years and has seen many many changes in that time - bless her.
My predecessor had warned me that she is in a bit of a time warp - this lady asked her (predecessor) if it was ok to take the children outside.:eek:

Actually, she has just rung me back saying she has ordered a pack and various other bits i have told her about and what training does she now need to do? Apparently (according to her) I am wonderful and could I go round to see her at some point. At least someone somewhere appreciates me!
I get all the waifs and strays:rolleyes: :D

miffy
13-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Ooooooo I think I need you to rescue me too Pip :D

I'm going to look at it over the Bank Holiday weekend (sad I know but I will have peace) - there's no sense in rushing things :laughing:

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
13-08-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm going to look at it over the Bank Holiday weekend (sad I know but I will have peace) - there's no sense in rushing things :laughing:

Miffy xx

Absolutely not Miffy!:laughing: :laughing: (rush things! lol)

littletreasures
13-08-2008, 05:14 PM
No Miffy, you wouldn't want to rush things!!

crazybones
13-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Miffy xx

Oh Good. Then you can explain it to the rest of us before 1st September:laughing:

miffy
13-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh Good. Then you can explain it to the rest of us before 1st September:laughing:

Hmmm - you are assuming I'll understand it!!!!!!

Miffy xx

barbarella68
13-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I know you couldn't believe that she didn't know about EYFS but if it wasn't for this site nor would I.
I never get anything from Ofsted,and I get no flyers or anything,and if you don't really mix with other minders like me (long story bad time with other minder who I thought was my friend),so if you aren't told about it how do you know?:rolleyes:

littlesprogs
13-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I know you couldn't believe that she didn't know about EYFS but if it wasn't for this site nor would I.
I never get anything from Ofsted,and I get no flyers or anything,and if you don't really mix with other minders like me (long story bad time with other minder who I thought was my friend),so if you aren't told about it how do you know?:rolleyes:

I agree. I wouldnt know about it if it wasnt or this site. I keep putting off reading the pack because i'm not working yet but i know soon i'm going to have to bite the bullet esp since my sister in law is now leaving the village and she has given my number to all her ex mindees parents. I havent even dared go ito the EYFS section until now!

breezy
13-08-2008, 07:05 PM
what' s EYFS ?:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :

Heaven Scent
14-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Don't worry blink and it will have passed you by - in another 3 or 4 years we will be calling it something different and we will be wondering what to do with that and we will be forbidden to do observations or some such other daft notion that pops into somones head while they are sitting behind a desk chewing the end of their pencil because they have run out of work to do on this and fear being made redundant.

mimo
14-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Don't worry blink and it will have passed you by - in another 3 or 4 years we will be calling it something different and we will be wondering what to do with that and we will be forbidden to do observations or some such other daft notion that pops into somones head while they are sitting behind a desk chewing the end of their pencil because they have run out of work to do on this and fear being made redundant.

But will they have sorted out the sef forms by then or will some of us still be trying to log on.
When they forbid the observations they will come up with a plan to do the evaluation forms on paper and lets hope stop inspecting us as we will do it ourselves:D

Heaven Scent
19-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Well they will probably have scrapped them by then and then bring out something that has already been done but with a different name and in a different font and jigged about a bit so the bosses don't realise its the same thing.