PDA

View Full Version : advice - feb 09!!!!!!

kindredspirits
13-08-2008, 02:08 PM
i've just had an enquiry for someone who wants care for her 1 year old from feb 09???? i'm confused as to the advice i should give her.
my spaces are available now, and while i need the work i'm reluctant to sign a contract with a deposit as if i get full timers now i need the work now iykwim.... and it would be a hell of a long time (6 months) to charge a retainer!!

what would you do in this situation??? my insticts are to tell her to come and see me but not to finalise anything until end of the year at minimum.

mimo
13-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I would tell her to come and meet you .Explain the situation to her that realistically you cant hold a place open for 6 months as you may get another enquiry you could mention the retainer idea to her in a roundabout way she might go for it and you may get paid by her for 6 months if she wants you enough . Best to meet her anyway to lay the foundations.

Hope it goes well

mum2two
13-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I had one a few months back for 2 kids for April 09...:eek:

I know parents need to be organised for childcare - but some people take it a bit too far.

I told the parent that although I had the spaces now, I couldn't hold them until April, but would keep her informed nearer the time. She said she will begin looking properly again in Feb time then, but would appreciate the updates.

We have since fill up, and have no spaces, but anything can happen between then & now, so I'll let her know in Jan what my situation is then...

I think that's all you can do really - unless you really don't need the money now, and it's a too good an opportunity to miss.

Kelly x

katickles
13-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree with the others.

I would arrange for mum to come & meet me & view my setting but just be honest with her.

Good luck :)

LisaH
13-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I had a call from a lady a few months ago to care for her new baby starting in Jan '09. (The baby is due to be born this month)

I told her that i had no spaces at the moment but to call me once baby arrives and we will take it from there. What else can you do??:)

littletreasures
13-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I had somebody come to see me a couple of weeks ago for September 2009.

She asked me if I had any vacancies, which I replied well at the moment I will have, but things might change so she is going to contact me in April/May next year to see if I still have a vacancy. I wasn't prepared to reserve a place for a whole year for her.

miffy
13-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I would meet her and explain your situation - you may find you gel with this parent and want to keep a place for her - then you would have to negotiate a retainer

If you don't want to go through that then ask her to ring you again in December when you will have a better idea what vacancies you will have the following year.

Miffy xx

kindredspirits
13-08-2008, 09:11 PM
thanks, i've sent her a reply explaining how it all works, and that if she wants to meet me she's more than welcome but i can't save a place without a retainer.
had another call tonight from a woman who wanted to know EXACTLY what she gets for her £3 an hour.... i'm afraid to say i was a little short with her, i'm not a charity :blush:

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:14 PM
thanks, i've sent her a reply explaining how it all works, and that if she wants to meet me she's more than welcome but i can't save a place without a retainer.
had another call tonight from a woman who wanted to know EXACTLY what she gets for her £3 an hour.... i'm afraid to say i was a little short with her, i'm not a charity :blush:

Good for you... people get so shirty sometimes!

Re the other child, pop her/him on your waiting list, that's all you can really do. That is a long time away and anything can happen in the meantime.

teacake2
13-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi, I have been in a similar situation over the last few weeks. I have seen the three people who contacted me for care starting at the earliest in Feb 09 for one, May 09 for another and July 09 for the last. I explained to them how childminding tends to work and that things can literally change day to day in our business. They have all asked to go on my waiting list and to take pot luck on whether the places will be available, they are 2 part timers and one full time, so we will have to wait and see. They all seem willing to wait, and I have said I will contact them all about 2 months before they want childcare to let them know if I have any spaces, this will also give them time to find alternative care.
Teacake2