PDA

View Full Version : eating bogies

disney
13-08-2008, 12:53 PM
please dont laugh i know it sounds really funny ! but its freaking me out i have a mindee who is often sucking her thumb and my 9 month old grandson seems to copy (this i can cope ) but from last week she keeps on picking her nose and eating it:panic: i mean real bogies :eek: at first i ignored her but its getting worse and have asked her to stop but its falling on def ears . she has now starteddoing it at the table during lunch time & one of my older mindee now refuses to eat as its making her feel sick :( she is 5 , iknow kids will be kids picking the nose i can just about do but eating your bogies no way
have took her to one side and spoken about it but im not gettig any were oh and she has a habit of touching the others food , should i talk to mum or not its a tuff one x

mimo
13-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I would have a quiet word with her mum so that you can work together to stop it before it becomes a deep rooted habit.

The other side of me says tie her hands behind her back so she cant pick it. I am joking efore you phone social services but urrrrgh .I can see where you 5 year old is coming from

Pipsqueak
13-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Is the poor bairn hungry do you think????

Joking aside that is Revolting.
First have a word with mum as Mimo said and decide on a plan of action -like
each time she does it give her a tissue.
Take her out of the room each time or if you are at the table ask her to leave and get a tissue. She will soon start to get the message.

sarah707
13-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Ewwww :(

Give the child a tissue and have her wash her hands, every single time you see it happening...

Explain she needs to have clean hands to play your toys.

And make it a behaviour goal for the table... would stickers help?

i don't blame the 5 year old for not wanting to eat.

bubbly
13-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I have one with this disgusting habit too :(

katickles
13-08-2008, 03:25 PM
oh yuck!

I can't stand snot/picking noses it turns my stomach!

Good luck!

Pipsqueak
13-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I have one with this disgusting habit too :(

:laughing: :laughing: sorry I misread your post first of by reading that you had this disgusting habit

sorry:blush:

disney
13-08-2008, 07:36 PM
just to say that the 5 year old is the one picking and eating bogies and the older one is 7 ,i have had her since september and she didnt do it then . the reason i was not sure if i should chat with mum as i think i would feel awful if it was my 5 year old :eek: and my hubby said may be the parents do it at home and they think its ok :panic: but well i said may be but im not having it in my home :angry: x

breezy
13-08-2008, 07:38 PM
YUK!
definitley talk to parent and work out a plan of action, similar to ones suggested by sarah, if not it's mimo's hands behind back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LisaH
13-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh thats gross!! Lol:laughing:

But seriously speak to the parents, all kids do it occasionally but this sounds worse than your average picker.:panic:

miffy
13-08-2008, 08:24 PM
At 5 years old she is old enough to know that this behaviour isn't socially acceptable nor is touching others food and I think you should tell her so as well as talking to her parents.

It sounds to me as though she's doing this to get a reaction (especially since you say she didn't do this when you first started looking after her) and hey-ho it's working for her.

I'd tell her if she picks her nose or touches others food when she's at the table that she will have to get down - the choice is hers but I'm sure she would soon get the message

Good luck

Miffy xx

bubbly
13-08-2008, 08:58 PM
:laughing: :laughing: sorry I misread your post first of by reading that you had this disgusting habit

sorry:blush:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Ooh not nice... there needs to be a consequence for her action... and having to wash her hands 20 times a day and/or getting down from the table is a good idea.

My 2 year old mindee had a worried look on his face the other day and asked me to help take it out... 'Jenny, it's stook in my nose'

Bless... I took it out, was a biggy... he was being serious and he was troubled. He is not a nose picker. I told his mum what I did.. I think she loves me even more now hehe :littleangel:

miffy
13-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Ooh not nice... there needs to be a consequence for her action... and having to wash her hands 20 times a day and/or getting down from the table is a good idea.

My 2 year old mindee had a worried look on his face the other day and asked me to help take it out... 'Jenny, it's stook in my nose'

Bless... I took it out, was a biggy... he was being serious and he was troubled. He is not a nose picker. I told his mum what I did.. I think she loves me even more now hehe :littleangel:

Oh Jen - TMI!!!!!!!!! (even if she does love you more - that was above and beyond the call of duty - no wonder you're outstanding :) )

Miffy xx

SonnysMummy
13-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh my goodness...i hope i don't get a mindee with this problem!!!:laughing:
I think washing hands everytime they do it is good advice:) They'll get sick of it soon enough. I would be embarrased if i was the parent and i was approached with this but then again we have to work together with the parents don't we so it's tricky.

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh Jen - TMI!!!!!!!!! (even if she does love you more - that was above and beyond the call of duty - no wonder you're outstanding :) )

Miffy xx

hehe :)

I have also had to use tweezers to get a raisin out of this little boy's nose before... hehe :littleangel: :littleangel: All part of the job! lol

miffy
13-08-2008, 09:36 PM
hehe :)

I have also had to use tweezers to get a raisin out of this little boy's nose before... hehe :littleangel: :littleangel: All part of the job! lol

Is there no end to your talents????? :D

Miffy xx

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Is there no end to your talents????? :D

Miffy xx

:blush: :blush: :blush:

angeldelight
13-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Well I know what I will be dreaming about tonight !

Angel xx

Spangles
13-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Apparently it's very good for you and to be encouraged!

Read this ... (Be warned I haven't read it word for word so hope it's okay to post)

http://www.studiohousepro.co.uk/fugitiveauthor/html/picking_your_nose_and_eating_i.html

angeldelight
13-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Yuk Lorri

Did you have to do that ? Now I feel really sick

Angel xx

miffy
13-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Apparently it's very good for you and to be encouraged!

Read this ... (Be warned I haven't read it word for word so hope it's okay to post)

http://www.studiohousepro.co.uk/fugitiveauthor/html/picking_your_nose_and_eating_i.html

Don't think I want to go there - not at this hour or I might be having nightmares :panic:

Miffy xx

miffy
13-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Well I know what I will be dreaming about tonight !

Angel xx

More like nightmares :eek:

Miffy xx

Spangles
13-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Ha ha! Yum, yum! Hmmmmm, chewy!

angeldelight
13-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Lorri stop it haha

xxx

Spangles
13-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry I can't chat, I have a mouth full.

angeldelight
13-08-2008, 09:47 PM
So when we thought you were green and round like an apple you were really talking about other things ?

Yuk yuk yuk

Angel xx

Spangles
13-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Ha ha!

Did you read how it's supposed to strengthen your immune system? Weird.

I am not going to joke anymore because I can just envisage how disgusting it must be to see a child do this especially regularly. I think I'd be sick. What with that and the mindee who smears poo on the walls! Eugh!

angeldelight
13-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Great topic of conversation hey ?

haha

Angel xx

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry I can't chat, I have a mouth full.

Oi you glutton!!! Don't you teach your kids to SHARE?? Share with us!!!

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Ha ha!

Did you read how it's supposed to strengthen your immune system? Weird.

I am not going to joke anymore because I can just envisage how disgusting it must be to see a child do this especially regularly. I think I'd be sick. What with that and the mindee who smears poo on the walls! Eugh!

I guess this is not the right time to bring up the 3 little pigs children's sleeping bag I have washed twice today, trying to get vomit out of it??? :littleangel: Fun and games! I nearly threw it away :eek:

Heaven Scent
13-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Lori and Sarahnev beat me to it - I remember it being on breakfast tv or the news or something and I always used to send my little boys and girls in my class to the wash their hands everytime I cought them with their hands down the fronts or backs of their trousers or in their panties (girls did this a lot during story time or music time) and when they got an uncontrollable desire to scratch the backs of their eyes or when their was a huge drip of candle wax snailing its way towards their top lip and they either licked it off with their tongues or or ran their arms from their finger tips to their elbows across their top lips in a bid to wipe it away. I used to make them remove the vile cardi/jumper as I lived in fear that I would end up touching it by accident. If I ever caught them in the act of having a good awl pick I'd as them if it felt good scratching the backs of their eyes through that route and they were often so confused and embarrased to get caught out that they soon gave up the habbit - i did it in a discrete way like whispering in their ears as I went past and I did used to tell the parent and make light of it and they usually took it quite well - kids will be kids.

It must be quite natural hands up who has been to the zoo and seen the monkeys and chimps do it. - I know I know we have evolved but some of us have obviously come further than others if you ask me.

disney
14-08-2008, 06:57 AM
well i feel even more sick now that i have read that :eek: it might be healthy for her to pick and eat but its really not healthy for me to watch as its making me feel like chucking :( good news shes having today and tommorow off so no bogies for four whole days untill monday , then i will see if she as stoped after a few days at home with her mum . every day when mum drops of she will say shes still sucking her thumb and its disguting so god only knows what she would say about this one ! by the way think you are right about her doing it for a reaction , have noticed this with a few other things she is an only child and been acting different since i have had my baby and todler join are group x

Spangles
14-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I've got this book, it's quite good, don't know if it would help you to have it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-That-Red-Picture-Books/dp/0099917106/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218697917&sr=1-1