PDA

View Full Version : Door step handover for new parents?

Maza
05-09-2020, 04:10 PM
I do always aim for a doorstep handover eventually with parents - but is it appropriate for new families? Before covid I always gave new parents the option of staying for a few minutes to settle their little one. I feel awful asking them not to come in on their child's first day, but is it a big no no?

SYLVIA
05-09-2020, 04:56 PM
It’s doorstep hangovers at all preschools in my area. Parents don’t come in my house but not sure what I’d do if I had a new little one starting

loocyloo
05-09-2020, 08:28 PM
I've got a new little one starting and have started with doorstep handovers! ... actually, although it's nice for parents to come in and settle, it's also simpler, as child is not looking for parent in the house!

chris goodyear
06-09-2020, 10:51 AM
I do doorstep handovers in the mornings and some parents come in at the end of the day but now they have to do doorstep at each end of the day. I had 2 new children one 16 months and one 4 years old (different families) who are starting this week so they had a settling in day last week but I asked the parents to come round the back and into my conservatory to stay for a little while. Only after they had gone did the children come further into my house and I was quite happy with it like that. Luckily the weather was kind when they came for an initial visit so we stayed in the garden.

Dragonfly
06-09-2020, 07:50 PM
I had a new one start last week and no the parent couldn’t come in at either end of the day. Guidance says only if it’s essential they need to come in.
I know it’s hard but these are unusual times so they can’t come in when other children are there.