PDA

View Full Version : Friend asked to leave rented flat

SYLVIA
28-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Can anybody give me any help with this.
A family friend has received a letter from the letting agents that he rents his flat through. It is asking on behalf of the landlord if he will leave the flat by the end of the week so an NHS family member can move in. He can’t move in with parents as they have health issues and dad is in his 70’s. I was under the impression that tenants couldn’t be asked to leave accommodation at the moment especially as we are supposed to be staying at home and socially distancing. I’m trying to look up information for him but was wondering on here was more informed on the situation

Mouse
28-03-2020, 07:41 PM
What a worry in these uncertain time. Has he got a copy of the contract he signed when he moved in? I'd have thought that would give details about how much notice he has to be given to leave.

I certainly wouldn't have thought he'd have to move out now. Would it be worth contacting CAB?

SYLVIA
28-03-2020, 09:26 PM
That’s what I told him to do. I think from what I’ve read they have to give 3 months notice but they say not to move out. All court orders have apparently been suspended so I think he will be ok for a few month. Hopefully he will be able to find alternative place in the meantime

FussyElmo
29-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Government support available for landlords and renters reflecting the current coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-support-available-for-landlords-and-renters-reflecting-the-current-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak)

Dragonfly
30-03-2020, 07:14 AM
That seems terrible to me. Yes speak to CAB and look at his contract.