PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19 school and early year closures?

Ben10mad
18-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Do we have to close? 🤦*♀️ I can’t afford too?

loocyloo
18-03-2020, 05:45 PM
I DON'T KNOW!

However, my current thinking ( and i've done lots today because my mindees didn't want to play with me! ) is that we are private businesses, and as such, are not 'ruled' by govt ( although 'licenced' ( for want of a better word ) by Ofsted )

So ... I'm thinking that as long as we abide by all the guidelines etc, then we can stay open, as long as we are well! ( and then, if we need to shut for 14 days self isolation, we open up after )

I've emailed my LA to ask, and to see if they can clarify matters!

mama2three
18-03-2020, 05:53 PM
I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldn’t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.

Mouse
18-03-2020, 06:20 PM
It's very confusing.

I would guess we'll stay open, but it is going to need some clarification.

They did say there would be financial help in place, but no actual mention of what that would be.

loocyloo
18-03-2020, 06:21 PM
I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldn’t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.

so far a key worker is not restricted to 'emergency workers, retail staff and childcare workers' ???? !!!!

mama2three
18-03-2020, 06:46 PM
He mentioned delivery drivers! We need that list and the guidance updating. I’m already having queries from parents that I can’t answer and they don’t seem to understand I’m as much in the dark as they are. They should have the guidance ready as soon as the announcements are made.

So just another question ...if I’m ‘open’ ie for key workers ...then is that contractually classed as being open or closed ...... I charge full of open , nothing if closed.

Ben10mad
18-03-2020, 06:58 PM

They state the vulnerable as well though 2year olds receive funding because most areas suffer from poverty.

mama2three
18-03-2020, 07:28 PM
He specified vulnerable as having a social worker or an EHP. There are so many more than that in need than that

Pixie dust
18-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !

FussyElmo
18-03-2020, 08:15 PM
From Sarah

**THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE**
The government has announced the PARTIAL closure of early years settings INCLUDING childminders. Our CURRENT understanding is that this means we will be able to continue to care for the children of, for example, key workers such as social services, mental health workers, prison workers, border patrol, front line local govt employees, education workers, medical professionals, delivery drivers, the forces and police etc and vulnerable children (under social services or with an EHC Plan). We are waiting for further clarification about which children this includes from the government but the definition seems broad.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE - WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. THANK YOU.

loocyloo
18-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !

this is my confusion! ... but then, if that was the case; then i 'think' we could offer the place to other 'front line staff' ! I know that i have an 'ex' mum who would be interested IF i could help her out, but my commitment is to my current families.

I also need further clarification of 'key workers' as, being rural, i have several farmers children!

in fact, looking at my list of children and parents ... I literally only have one family who don't tick keyworker boxes ( apart from the farmers! )

Maza
18-03-2020, 10:02 PM
My brother is an accountant in the nhs and surprisingly he has been told that he might be classed as a key worker too! He said they have been told that they might be 'drafted down the line to do other jobs'. He said it could be typing up notes and clerical duties, whatever that means.

Loocyloo, we were also talking about farmers and how important they are in all of this. Also, factory workers. It's amazing when you really start to think about it.

mumofone
18-03-2020, 10:23 PM
From Sarah

**THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE**
The government has announced the PARTIAL closure of early years settings INCLUDING childminders. Our CURRENT understanding is that this means we will be able to continue to care for the children of, for example, key workers such as social services, mental health workers, prison workers, border patrol, front line local govt employees, education workers, medical professionals, delivery drivers, the forces and police etc and vulnerable children (under social services or with an EHC Plan). We are waiting for further clarification about which children this includes from the government but the definition seems broad.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE - WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. THANK YOU.

Thanks Fussy, where did Sarah post this please?

mumofone
18-03-2020, 10:25 PM

Yes, I wondered this. I have a few key workers children but do I then exclude any children that dont have key worker parents?

loocyloo
18-03-2020, 10:52 PM
Yes, I wondered this. I have a few key workers children but do I then exclude any children that dont have key worker parents?

And do BOTH parents have to be keyworkers?

Mouse
18-03-2020, 11:20 PM
I’ve got 2 parents desperate for me to close so they don’t have to pay me. They both have school aged children and will be off work now, not needing childcare for the younger ones. They know they’ll have to pay if I stay open, but won’t have to pay if I close. They’ll both be on full pay so I feel sad that they want to avoid paying me when if they can.

Then I’ve got another mum who is desperate for me to stay open so that she can carry on working and earning. She’s not a key worker so it looks like I might not be able to have her child.

It’s such a worrying time for so many people and the uncertainty really isn’t helping.

mama2three
19-03-2020, 06:39 AM
Looking at the childcare.co.uk insurance it seems we may be coverered up to ÂŁ1000 for loss of revenue , closure due to infectious disease. Section 3 of the policy document

Mouse
19-03-2020, 07:07 AM
Looking at the childcare.co.uk insurance it seems we may be coverered up to ÂŁ1000 for loss of revenue , closure due to infectious disease. Section 3 of the policy document

Up until now they’ve said the only way they’ll consider a claim is if there’s a medical diagnosis of Coronavirus in the setting and you have direct notification from you LA to close down.

I know in a press conference the other day the PM said that for businesses their Business Interruption insurance will now have to pay out based on the fact they government has said it’s got to be paid. I don’t know if that applies to us, but I doubt it!

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 07:09 AM
My brain has obviously been working things out while I was asleep!

I 'think' as I'm going to be open, there will be no refund for fees paid this month.
Going forward, only charging fees for those children who are eligible to attend. As soon as we know criteria for those who can attend I will work out who can come and then offer my spaces to other families. The tricky bit will be keeping to 6 under 8. And, I feel awful saying it, unless it is an older child I already know well, I'm not going to take older ones.
I was due to put my fees up in April. I just don't think I can do that, at this time. But I will be asking them to provide lunch and maybe stop doing tea. ( and I've already booked the first week of April off. My brain says stick to it, you'll need the brain space for what is coming, my heart says 'but if people need me' argh! )

Yes, I saw that mama2three ... as long as the reason for being shut down is accepted.

mama2three
19-03-2020, 07:29 AM
My brain has obviously been working things out while I was asleep!

I 'think' as I'm going to be open, there will be no refund for fees paid this month.
Going forward, only charging fees for those children who are eligible to attend. As soon as we know criteria for those who can attend I will work out who can come and then offer my spaces to other families. The tricky bit will be keeping to 6 under 8. And, I feel awful saying it, unless it is an older child I already know well, I'm not going to take older ones.
I was due to put my fees up in April. I just don't think I can do that, at this time. But I will be asking them to provide lunch and maybe stop doing tea. ( and I've already booked the first week of April off. My brain says stick to it, you'll need the brain space for what is coming, my heart says 'but if people need me' argh! )

Yes, I saw that mama2three ... as long as the reason for being shut down is accepted.

My thinking is very similar Loocyloo
I’m not sure if there will be anyone else looking for places but I am happy to take them on if I can on an adhoc basis.
Full fees for key workers children whether or not they attend. No fees for anyone else. Do you think that’s fair? I need to earn but I don’t want to be seen as predatory😟

Mouse
19-03-2020, 07:36 AM
I was awake at 4 o’clock mulling things over.

I don’t think I’ll do very well out of this.

2 of my families have at least one teacher parent so they will be at home. To them I will be closed, so I can’t charge anything.
Another mum will want me to have her son, but she’s not a key worker so I probably won’t be able to and can’t charge anything.
Another 2 families each have one parent who is a key worker, but the other isn’t, so they can have the children at home.

My feeling is that if the children can stay at home they have to. I don’t want any parent bringing a child out unless they have no other option.

What I would hope is that the parents who are still being paid in full will consider still paying me, but I doubt they will. My bigger hope is that the government comes up with some decent financial support which means I can close completely and still keep spaces available for when children are allowed back.

mama2three
19-03-2020, 07:54 AM
I was awake at 4 o’clock mulling things over.

I don’t think I’ll do very well out of this.

2 of my families have at least one teacher parent so they will be at home. To them I will be closed, so I can’t charge anything.
Another mum will want me to have her son, but she’s not a key worker so I probably won’t be able to and can’t charge anything.
Another 2 families each have one parent who is a key worker, but the other isn’t, so they can have the children at home.

My feeling is that if the children can stay at home they have to. I don’t want any parent bringing a child out unless they have no other option.

What I would hope is that the parents who are still being paid in full will consider still paying me, but I doubt they will. My bigger hope is that the government comes up with some decent financial support which means I can close completely and still keep spaces available for when children are allowed back.

I’m thinking the opposite way mouse. Where one teacher is a parent I can be available to them so to them I am open and I will charge. If they say both parents must be key workers then I’m in the proverbial too.

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 08:22 AM
My thinking is very similar Loocyloo
I’m not sure if there will be anyone else looking for places but I am happy to take them on if I can on an adhoc basis.
Full fees for key workers children whether or not they attend. No fees for anyone else. Do you think that’s fair? I need to earn but I don’t want to be seen as predatory😟

That's what I'm planning currently ...
I also have one family who are desperate for me to continue having their children ( to give them a break ) but are not keyworkers or vulnerable. I just need to know if one or both parents have to be keyworkers. Cos if it's both, I'm stuffed!

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 10:08 AM
That's what I'm planning currently ...
I also have one family who are desperate for me to continue having their children ( to give them a break ) but are not keyworkers or vulnerable. I just need to know if one or both parents have to be keyworkers. Cos if it's both, I'm stuffed!

Sorry the information we are seeing is both have to be key workers but waiting for confirmation.

The annoucement about who is classed as a key worker is due out this afternoon

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 10:09 AM
Thanks Fussy, where did Sarah post this please?

In facebook we are still waiting for the latest information

Maza
19-03-2020, 10:23 AM
A lot of teachers are being asked to do online lessons, so they might still actually be working, even though it is from home, so they might still want their children to come to you. It's also a bit unclear on which teachers will be required to go into school to provide education for key workers children/vulnerable children.

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 10:36 AM
talking to school this morning ... it won't be every school that opens, but one in an area for all keyworker children. The head seemed to think i would still be needed to work, as they will only be able to have those from SCHOOL in, but might have secondary children too.... but didn't know if it would just be for school days, and therefore would need care out of school hours !!!

but that does mean that IF we can work to just care for keyworker children, it might just be those that are not of school age. ( although, another of my mums said she;d rather her children came to me, than sat at school with 'the masses' )

hmmmmm

hope we hear soon x

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 10:36 AM
Sorry the information we are seeing is both have to be key workers but waiting for confirmation.

that's me done for then.

mama2three
19-03-2020, 11:03 AM
And me too

Although I’ve just read a post from independent childminders from someone who says they have just spoken to ofsted and they said as long as we do risk assessments through the day and meet the needs of the children we can stay open. :panic:

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 11:04 AM
And me too

Although I’ve just read a post from independent childminders from someone who says they have just spoken to ofsted and they said as long as we do risk assessments through the day and meet the needs of the children we can stay open. :panic:

For the next couple of days business as normal

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 11:05 AM
**UPDATE 19.3.2020 - 10.53am**
I have just spoken to the Early Years Alliance press office. They DO NOT KNOW any more than they have shared. They have asked the questions we are all asking. They are waiting for the answers which they will share as soon as they have got them. PLEASE let's not share inaccuracies and half stories on the group. Let's wait for the facts. Thank you. Sarah.
Early Years Alliance - Home | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/EYAlliance)

mama2three
19-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Gosh fussy we heard you the first time 😂

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Gosh fussy we heard you the first time 😂

Sorry thought i was on fb :laughing:

Mouse
19-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Thanks Fussy...I think we’ve all got that :laughing:

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks Fussy...I think we’ve all got that :laughing:

Are you sure or should i post again :laughing:

mumofone
19-03-2020, 11:25 AM

Sorry Fussy I am in and out of this thread, but who is making this announcement? thank you :-)

mumofone
19-03-2020, 11:26 AM
I know this is not at all helpful but I would guess BOTH parents will have to be key workers in order for us to be able to keep children on. That's just my feeling :-(

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Sorry Fussy I am in and out of this thread, but who is making this announcement? thank you :-)

Sarah made it on fb after talks with the early years alliance

Mouse
19-03-2020, 12:10 PM
I know this is not at all helpful but I would guess BOTH parents will have to be key workers in order for us to be able to keep children on. That's just my feeling :-(

It makes sense really. They want people to stay at home, so if one parent can do that they’re going to make them.

mumofone
19-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Sarah made it on fb after talks with the early years alliance

Thanks Fussy. Im not on facebook, is Sarah updating anywhere else dyou know..? x

mumofone
19-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know what we do about our registration status, do we have to put it officially "on hold"? I'm due to pay my insurance and ICO fee any day but looks like i may not be working so will i still have to still pay if my registration is on hold......

mama2three
19-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Oh for goodness sake , now the ‘expert, on the Jeremy vine show has just said childminders can carry on working until told otherwise. Wish they’d get their facts straight , no wonder parents are confused...and me too!

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Thanks Fussy. Im not on facebook, is Sarah updating anywhere else dyou know..? x

No i will copy anything across here

mumofone
19-03-2020, 12:56 PM
No i will copy anything across here

Thanks Fussy :-) xx

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Oh for goodness sake , now the ‘expert, on the Jeremy vine show has just said childminders can carry on working until told otherwise. Wish they’d get their facts straight , no wonder parents are confused...and me too!

ARGHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

I'm listening to classic fm and not listening to the news !!! very much hands over ears and la la la ing !!!!

I'm relying on the wonderful people here to keep me informed and up to date.

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 01:26 PM
just been reading the pacey website ... Welsh childminders can stay open !!!! ( I was born in Wales ... does that count ? !!!! :laughing: )

mama2three
19-03-2020, 02:29 PM
What a cock up , the new guidance for education settings has updated today , but it’s still the same as the last version , even saying all education settings are recommended to stay open. Someone’s royally messed up there!

Mouse
19-03-2020, 03:37 PM
This seems to be the latest DfE update. It now includes childminders :(

Schools, colleges and early years settings to close - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/schools-colleges-and-early-years-settings-to-close)

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 04:13 PM
This seems to be the latest DfE update. It now includes childminders :(

Schools, colleges and early years settings to close - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/schools-colleges-and-early-years-settings-to-close)

It says 'should close' and elsewhere says except for the children of key workers ?

mumofone
19-03-2020, 04:27 PM
Clear as mud! What are they struggling with exactly. What's classified as a key worker and ONE parent or TWO parent workers? And should close or have to close?

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Clear as mud! What are they struggling with exactly. What's classified as a key worker and ONE parent or TWO parent workers? And should close or have to close?

Arghhh!

Just had list from LA ... children with named social worker, those with EHCPs, children of key workers .. teachers, 1-1 TAs, health workers, social care workers, emergency services and delivery drivers AND .... 'to include children of parents you deem to be keyworkers' !!!!

However still waiting for definitive list from govt.

Provision will need to close for the majority of children for the foreseeable future, however it will need to stay open for above list

So still no clearer! And no mention of one or two parents being a key worker!

Mouse
19-03-2020, 08:06 PM
I'm now closed and I'm really quite sad about it.

I have no children who have both parents who are key workers, so I have no justification for staying open.

I do have children whose parents are still working, but they will now have to find alternative childcare. I could take on children of key workers, but it seems silly to be making one child go elsewhere just to take on another!

I'll spend tomorrow packing away toys and turning my house back into a child-free home. I wonder if I'll ever want to turn it back into a childminding setting again...

Pixie dust
19-03-2020, 08:19 PM
I'm now closed and I'm really quite sad about it.

I have no children who have both parents who are key workers, so I have no justification for staying open.

I do have children whose parents are still working, but they will now have to find alternative childcare. I could take on children of key workers, but it seems silly to be making one child go elsewhere just to take on another!

I'll spend tomorrow packing away toys and turning my house back into a child-free home. I wonder if I'll ever want to turn it back into a childminding setting again...

I am so sorry to read this, I think I will be in the same situation tomorrow but still waiting for official clarification from our LA. I have been telling parents that I don't expect to be working next week and they are all upset as they are still working, some of them from home which isn't easy with little ones about .

FussyElmo
19-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Latest guidance

Ofsted: coronavirus (COVID-19) rolling update - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ofsted-coronavirus-covid-19-rolling-update?utm_source=3ee3db42-43bb-4848-94a3-598bec9e13f0&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate)

No update on what they class as keyworkers.

Mouse im sorry xxx

loocyloo
19-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Mouse, I'm sorry, and everyone else heading that way. I have to say I think I am too.

Going to look at it as a great opportunity to really sort out all my toys etc!

Love to everyone xxxx

Dragonfly
19-03-2020, 08:33 PM
So depressing. I am waiting for if it’s one parent a key worker or both, nobody seems to know.
like Mouse I think a lot of childminders are going to think about not returning as childminders.Then there will be even less than before.so sad.

Maza
19-03-2020, 08:44 PM
Oh Mouse I'm so sorry.

Let's hope we can soon put this bloomin' virus behind us and every sector can start to build up their businesses again. x

SYLVIA
20-03-2020, 06:53 AM
I have one family with both parents in NHS so I can open for them. That made me actually feel horrible having to tell the other families that I can have their children. I did a group text to tell them then burst into tears!! Other childminders who are closing are saying the same that it just doesn’t feel right not to be seeing the children each day.

FussyElmo
20-03-2020, 07:02 AM
Closure of educational settings: information for parents and carers - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/closure-of-educational-settings-information-for-parents-and-carers/closure-of-educational-settings-information-for-parents-and-carers?fbclid=IwAR2YmDk26lxGOER_mgnfHg1nmmFb6QgiXD 4N-5JDwzS0QvlKPXMTGi49-ps)

Guidance for schools, colleges and local authorities on maintaining educational provision - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision)

loocyloo
20-03-2020, 07:21 AM
well.....

that is slightly clearer !!! sort of! at least the keyworker issue is sorted! one parent has to be a keyworker.

it says ALL children SHOULD be cared for at home if possible.

I'm about to email all my parents the list and ask them if they fit the criteria ( if only to stop the couple of parents who i KNOW will try and come! and they definitely don't fit criteria! ) and i will only charge keyworkers. I've also JUST this minute decided that i will just be working 3 days a week!

Mouse
20-03-2020, 09:01 AM
Having checked the list I can see that a couple of my parents will class as key workers, but I have decided to stay closed anyway. They each have a partner who will be able to work from home, so there is really no need for the children to come. The aim of the school closures is to keep as many children as possible at home, so I’ll encourage that. I have checked with parents and they respect my decision. I stressed that I would have the children if they really needed me to, but they agreed it’s not a necessity.

I’m still a bit sad about having to close, but now I’m starting to look round at all the jobs I can be getting done in the house :D

FussyElmo
20-03-2020, 09:51 AM
I think that is the important issue if children dont have to come they shouldnt.

My kids school asked if i wanted a space because both me and dh are keyworker i said no as i work from home. She said she was glad she didnt have to tell me this :D

Stay safe everyone :thumbsup:

mumofone
20-03-2020, 03:13 PM
I think that is the important issue if children dont have to come they shouldnt.

My kids school asked if i wanted a space because both me and dh are keyworker i said no as i work from home. She said she was glad she didnt have to tell me this :D

Stay safe everyone :thumbsup:

I agree but how do they enforce this?

loocyloo
20-03-2020, 03:44 PM
I agree but how do they enforce this?

i'm asking for proof of keyworker status, even if i know they are!

mumofone
20-03-2020, 05:53 PM
i'm asking for proof of keyworker status, even if i know they are!

loocyloo, in your case, if you care for the children of key workers do you deem it that its only because it keeps them safe?

loocyloo
20-03-2020, 07:58 PM
I'm looking after the children of keyworkers because their parents have to work! And they need care.

kellib
20-03-2020, 08:17 PM
In Scotland we’ve been told we can stay open as usual which was a massive relief! Most of my parents are key workers anyway apart from my after school kids.

Hope you’re all well in these crazy times.

SB28
10-04-2020, 04:18 AM
Hi I have a family who are both keyworkers and for the passed 3 weeks have been looking after their 2 children as all my other family's are keeping their children home. On Tuesday one of the siblings was not well and then mum says sister has cough to so is going to self isolate family for 7 days but I've been reading household's are 14 days she is saying I have to take her children back in 7 days.
I don't want to put my family and the family of others at risk. Can anybody help me or am I reading the covid 19 information wrong.???

Mouse
14-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Hi I have a family who are both keyworkers and for the passed 3 weeks have been looking after their 2 children as all my other family's are keeping their children home. On Tuesday one of the siblings was not well and then mum says sister has cough to so is going to self isolate family for 7 days but I've been reading household's are 14 days she is saying I have to take her children back in 7 days.
I don't want to put my family and the family of others at risk. Can anybody help me or am I reading the covid 19 information wrong.???

As far as I know, it's 7 days for the person with symptoms but 14 days for other family members. The thinking is that after 7 days the person with symptoms should no longer be infectious, but the other family members need to isolate for those 7 days when they have a chance of catching it, then another 7 days in case they have got it.

Whatever the rules are, mum cannot insist on you taking the children back. If you don't want to have them, you need to be firm on that. Can you contact your local authority early years department? They should be able to give you advice and offer parents alternative care arrangements.

loocyloo
15-04-2020, 06:17 AM
I agree with Mouse.

7 days for person with symptoms and everyone else in the house, then another 7 days for everyone else in house, making it 14 days in total. Stand by your decision and say no, for 14 days. You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

Thinking of you. And stay safe xx

SYLVIA
15-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Yes I agree on the 14 days. A childminder friends children volunteered at a local hospital. The son was sent in to clean a ward without appropriate PPE. When the person in charge sent them both home to isolate. The daughter developed a cough after a few days so the rest of the family had to start their 14 days again in case they caught it