PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get smell of sick out of carseat harnesses?

loocyloo
29-01-2020, 02:35 PM
Sorry ... delightful title!

But as it says ... I've just had to wash a carseat because a child was sick in it!
On the plus side, it was all contained in carseat/ child's clothing, so fortunately the car is fine!
But whilst I've put car seat covers in washing machine, I haven't put straps in. I've soaked them and scrubbed them with washing powder ... but as they dry they still smell! Do I need to soak them longer?

I had to wash this exact carseat about 6 weeks ago because a different child was sick in it, but straps seemed fine after washing that time! ... maybe it's because they are wet!

moggy
29-01-2020, 06:25 PM
I'd let them dry overnight, air for a bit outside if possible, and then re-assess... could well be fine by then.

loocyloo
29-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Thanks xxx

Dragonfly
30-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Poor you two children sick! Wash and try and dry in fresh air. Dettol spray after to kill any bacteria.

chris goodyear
30-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Maybe try Milton solution, I've used it to get rid of mould on straps so might be worth a try.

FussyElmo
30-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Bicarb of soda sprinkled on them might remove the smell

loocyloo
30-01-2020, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone

a night drying on aga, and a day outside in the freezing cold ... and back on the aga to warm up/dry off and they smell ok! have dettol and antiback sprayed everywhere!

although i knew car was 'clean' i could still smell sick ... thought it was just me, then i noticed a tiny weeny spot on a cuddly toy child had been holding! that has now gone in the wash!

i'm just waiting for the 3rd child to be sick in car! .... haven't had any being sick in the car for YEARS! :laughing:

loocyloo
14-02-2020, 05:23 PM
And it happened! 3rd bout of sickness in car ... and yes! SAME carseat!!! Same child as 1st lot of sickness!

This time it wasn't 'bug' sicknes, but curdled snot sick!

Parent tried to tell me child was car sick ... NOPE .
Then they said child had had busy day, big sleep and they'd had to wake child, who'd not wanted breakfast and then rushed child to me ... so their being sick was because I'd then rushed child around in car ... NOPE ... it was just snot sick and I wasn't bothered as I knew they didn't know child would sick, but a heads up child wasn't possibly 100% would have been good! :rolleyes: :D

Dragonfly
15-02-2020, 09:08 AM
It’s amazing what parents sometimes come out with when child is obviously ill. Dodgy nappies are always caused by teething ah nope.