PDA

View Full Version : Favourite nursery rhymes from your childhood

Mouse
13-01-2020, 06:06 PM
I'm looking for some different nursery rhymes/songs to sing with the children so have gone back to my childhood to think of some of my favourites from when I was young.

So far I've got

There's a Hole in my Bucket
The Green Grass Grows All Around
Aiken Drum

I know you're not all as old as me (!) but can you think of your favourite songs from childhood that children nowadays might not know?

Dragonfly
14-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Aiken drum that is an old one.

loocyloo
14-01-2020, 12:19 PM
we've bee singing 'This old man' ( knick knack paddy whack ) a lot lately.

also Bobby Shaftoe and Girls & Boys come out to play

Maza
14-01-2020, 02:15 PM
One Man Went to Mow, went to mow a meadow

This old man, he played one, he played nick nack on my drum

Awww, I used to love there's a hole in my bucket!

I was telling DD that when I was little, Wheels on the Bus was my all time favourite song. I know it's still popular today, but we just found it amusing that such a random song brought me such joy and excitement, lol.

I also loved Two little dicky birds. What does 'dicky' actually mean in that context? Because whenever we saw real birds we would say "Oh, look at the dicky birds!"

Maza
14-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Just remembered another all time favourite as a child - Yellow bird, up high in banana tree...

Does anyone remember singing Ta rara Boom de ay? We used to giggle and say 'bum' instead of 'boom'. It was on the front of one of the piano music books that used to sit on the piano in assembly. I can still picture it now - lots of ladies doing the can can.

Mouse
14-01-2020, 04:25 PM
I love Yellow Bird!

We used to sing

Ta Ra Ra Boom de ay
My knickers flew away
They went on holiday
And came back yesterday

I thought it was something we'd probably made up as kids, but I googled it and apparently they were popular words in the 70s!

Maza
14-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Oh Mouse, that's so funny!

I remembered another favourite when I was on the school run, but I've forgotten what it was - it will come back to me.

Tommy thumb was another favourite and In a cottage in a wood, a little old man at the window stood...

Oh, I've remembered now - Puff the Magic Dragon

loocyloo
14-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Oh Mouse, that's so funny!

I remembered another favourite when I was on the school run, but I've forgotten what it was - it will come back to me.

Tommy thumb was another favourite and In a cottage in a wood, a little old man at the window stood...

Oh, I've remembered now - Puff the Magic Dragon

Oooo, I love Puff the Magic dragon ... and Morningtown Ride.

I used to sing In a cottage In a wood when I was training at college, totally forgotten it! Thank you. :D

I love 2 little dicky birds ... but we have a second verse that I love even more ... 2 little fishes swimming in a tank , one called Cyril , one called Frank. Swim away Cyril, swim away Frank, come back Cyril , come back Frank ! :laughing:

Mouse
14-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Puff the Magic Dragon is a favourite here.

We've got several copies of the book but I can't read it, I have to sing it! It sounds really strange read as a story/poem.

Dragonfly
15-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Some songs we made up you wouldn’t dream of singing them AT all these days 🤐😱

FloraDora
22-01-2020, 11:01 AM
A windmill in old Amsterdam
Inch worm

I had these on a children’s favourite tape from at least 35 years ago, they just stuck in my head....

My LO’s used to like the lyrics ‘going clip -clippity -clop on the stairs, oh yeah!’

FloraDora
22-01-2020, 11:07 AM
A windmill in old Amsterdam
Inch worm

I had these on a children’s favourite tape from at least 35 years ago, they just stuck in my head....

My LO’s used to like the lyrics ‘going clip -clippity -clop on the stairs, oh yeah!’

And in inch worm ‘measuring the marigolds’ - I planted marigolds one year and taught this song, even though they were too young for the multiplication aspect they learn’t the lyrics of two and two are four etc...and were using number words, plus the measuring the marigolds every week and making a visual display, cutting the stem to the measured size of a paper marigold gave us a weekly activity of seeing our marigolds grow.
Last year a LO, who still keeps in touch and is 8 now sent me a homemade birthday card with marigolds on because she liked the song.

loocyloo
22-01-2020, 02:06 PM
we sang 'nelly the elephant' this morning, and 'mud mud glorious mud' from the hippopotamus song ! and my first thought was 'ooo, must add these to the list!'