PDA

View Full Version : DBS for 16 year old

Bluebell
08-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Hi does anyone have any experience of getting a DBS for a 16 year old - my eldest is 15 and I know the DBS process can take a bit of time. Do I have to wait until he is 16 to apply or can I get the ball rolling a little earlier. Haven't really looked in to it so just thought I'd ask here first!

loocyloo
08-09-2019, 03:07 PM
DS turning 16 in a couple of months...DBS? (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/140080-ds-turning-16-couple-months-dbs.html)

This was my experience about 18 nth ago! Good luck x

FussyElmo
10-09-2019, 09:09 AM
You do have to wait until they turn 16.

Things you could be doing before then making sure they have forns of identification.

Bluebell
11-09-2019, 07:43 AM
AH thank you - didn't even think about needing identifiction although seems obvious now you've said it but it hadn't occurred to me! Will look into what he needs :)

FussyElmo
11-09-2019, 10:24 AM
DBS ID checking guidelines - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-identity-checking-guidelines)

FussyElmo
11-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Theres been a thread on fb saying people are having trouble with the identity checks so probably worth while having a look through.

I know with my eldest they accepted birth certificate and letter from college :thumbsup:

BallyH
14-09-2019, 10:42 PM
My son turned 16 last November. Got his dbs through quickly but his suitability letter form Ofsted didn’t come through till early February.
This month, 7 months later, I got a letter from Ofsted ‘Failure to inform Ofsted about changes’ stating it’s come to their attention that he doesn’t have a dbs and could he immediately apply for one within the next 14 days or they may take the steps to cancel my registration and will also consider prosecution and I may be liable to pay a fine which is currently £5000.
Scary or what? Impossible to speak to someone as I felt I was in a loop and couldn’t get a response. Finally spoke to a lovely lady who spent ages going through my file online and told me when every letter was received/sent regarding the whole dbs suitability stage and couldn’t explain why I got this letter from them. I received an apology email 3 days later advising me I received the letter in error and the information was forwarded to their IS department to investigate.
I found it all quite upsetting to think I could have had my registration suspended because of this.

Maza
19-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Gosh BallyH, that's a shocker!

Dragonfly
25-09-2019, 06:55 AM
That is appalling BallyH very upsetting for you.

loocyloo
25-09-2019, 10:57 AM
So scary.

Makes me want to check through all my paperwork and check DS is done... even though I know he is!

Is there a way of checking? I'm sure I'll have a copy of the letter filed, but I'm not sure where! In fact , as i think it was addressed to DS , I think he'll have it!

FussyElmo
25-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Its scary how much they can lose.

We had issues doing my eldest children as they had their name changed 9 years ago. Luckily i could prove that i had sent them and the copy of their email response.