PDA

View Full Version : Bad reference from employer to ofsted before pre registration visit

Ruch1987
28-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Hi all, I am very new to this childminding forum, it's my first ever post. I have been reading a lot on this forum and it has since been very helpful. I am in the process of becoming a Childminder. I left my job from a nursery in end of Feb. I did my course, introductory course and first aid as well. 2 of my friends who became my references sent the form to Ofsted already and I know they are good.

But I gave reference of my job employer that I left end of feb. My employer called me up saying I have a bad reviews in the file, i was not very good at my work, some positives and a lot of negatives. Does anyone know if my bad reference from employer will cancel or reject my ofsted registration? I have been eagerly waiting for this day and everything will just come to an end so soon. And is she allowed to discuss the reference form with me before sending it to ofsted? Is it not confidential?

Please I am confused, terribly sad and scarred of being rejected and not be able to fulfill my dream. Please tell me if I am right or wrong? What do you think?

chris goodyear
04-07-2019, 05:48 PM
I might be wrong but I thought bad references were not allowed to be given. I'm only guessing but if ofsted get in touch with your previous employer they will have to give examples of why you were not good at your job and ofsted will see through if it's just sour grapes because you left. Just wait and see what happens and if you don't get registered then fight the decision if you believe your former boss isn't telling the truth.

FloraDora
04-07-2019, 07:02 PM
If your ‘bad’ reference has anything to do with safeguarding then they will definitely take it into account.

If, on your application you have been honest about reason for leaving etc...and anything she raises has been addressed then they will I am sure take your information into account.

Were you aware of your bad reviews? If you were and they had some truth to them and they have got a lot of negatives then they will be taken in to account. Ofsted, as any employer would, will need to think about if the negative reviews will affect your ability to be a childminder, perhaps the negatives are not to do with actually caring for children...time keeping, absence etc... so that may be overlooked.

If the negatives in your poor reviews are not truthful then you may need to contact legal help in how you address this. Their reference, as your last employment, will always be there and when you apply for any job your past history in working with children cannot be hidden- safer recruitment requires anybody working with children to make sure they have a complete history of people’s working past.
Friends, of course will always give a good reference and Ofsted know that too.

Hopefully your negatives in a reference can be justified and you can address this by asking for a copy of the reference.

Ruch1987
05-07-2019, 10:38 PM
Hi, thank you so much for your reply. It has been really helpful. I recently got email from ofsted saying the reference my employer gave is not suitable for ofsted purposes and they asked me for a 3rd reference. Fingers crossed, let's see what happens next. Waiting for their call, it's been sooo long now. Parents are waiting for me to get registered.

sarah707
10-07-2019, 07:13 PM
I hope it sorts itself out quickly for you! :D