PDA

View Full Version : JUMPING

SYLVIA
17-04-2019, 06:29 PM
I have a child who will be 2 next week. She had her 2 year check with the HV last week and the report mentions she doesn't jump with 2 feet. So at a soft play/gym today I attempted to help her to jump. But she has no idea how to even move her leg. So has anybody got some ideas of ways that I can get her to start the basic movements. Im not expecting her to jump both legs but I'd love to get her trying to do it along with all the others. At the moment, even seeing the others jumping, she doesn't seem to be able to make any attempt at it at all.

moggy
17-04-2019, 06:40 PM
They get there around 2.5yrs, it is a bit much to expect at not-even-2! Unless they have a trampoline at home, that makes a big difference I have found! 'Jumping' is only mentioned in 30-50mth in EYO!
Songs like '3-little-monkeys-jumping-on-the-bed', 'hop-little-bunnies-hop-hop-hop' etc encourage jumping at groups where there are lots of others all jumping, softplay and trampolines at softplay places, organised toddler gym sessions?
It wouldn't be a big concern for me to be honest!!

Maza
17-04-2019, 07:00 PM
I was going to suggest a trampoline.

Do you have any concerns about her yourself?

SYLVIA
17-04-2019, 07:44 PM
I was going to suggest a trampoline.

Do you have any concerns about her yourself?

No, as she's able to climb on sofas, etc, She runs about and kicks balls with the others. It just made me think that I had never thought about "teaching " a child to jump before. It's something that just comes naturally in time but thought I'd run it passed my knowledgeable friends to see if I should be doing anything. Think Ill give the mini trampoline a go first. Thanks for the replies

Maza
17-04-2019, 07:48 PM
balloon play might help as she is encouraged to reach/jump up to bat the balloon.

loocyloo
18-04-2019, 06:34 AM
My 2 1/2 yr old mindee has 'got' jumping in the past couple of weeks.
He used to stand and bend his legs up and down when we sung all the ' bouncing ' songs ( he loves' bouncing up and down on a big red tractor' ) and then started sort of 'galloping' a jump and is now jumping with 2 feet together. He isn't keen on the mini trampoline but apparently has discovered jumping on his parents bed!!!