PDA

View Full Version : Sand...

Mouse
09-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Can I just say how much I dislike sand?

The children were playing in it yesterday, in the garden. Before they came back inside we brushed them down, took off their shoes, washed their hands etc. So how come this morning I walked into the kitchen and could feel it crunching under my feet. Not just a little bit, but all over the floor and into the hall?

I’ve swept, hoovered and mopped this morning, but what’s the betting I’ll still be finding it throughout the day?

I know people complain that glitter gets everywhere, but at least that’s pretty :laughing:

Dragonfly
09-04-2019, 06:50 AM
Yep,sand does that. Still dislike glitter more!

BallyH
09-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Yes I agree. How many times have you gone to change a nappy only for a pile of sand to land on the child’s face /stomach from the turn-ups on their little trousers? Very unpleasant and hard to clean up.

FussyElmo
10-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Sand one 30 minute play session = a month of cleaning it up. Even if they stay in the area where it should be :laughing:

Dragonfly
11-04-2019, 06:55 AM
You are not kidding fussyelmo :eek:

mumofone
25-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Can I just say how much I dislike sand?

The children were playing in it yesterday, in the garden. Before they came back inside we brushed them down, took off their shoes, washed their hands etc. So how come this morning I walked into the kitchen and could feel it crunching under my feet. Not just a little bit, but all over the floor and into the hall?

I’ve swept, hoovered and mopped this morning, but what’s the betting I’ll still be finding it throughout the day?

I know people complain that glitter gets everywhere, but at least that’s pretty :laughing:

Grr i have two young ones who cant keep the sand in the actual sandpit, like to scoop it up and pour it all over the ground....anyone else get this? Drives me potty!

Mouse
25-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Grr i have two young ones who cant keep the sand in the actual sandpit, like to scoop it up and pour it all over the ground....anyone else get this? Drives me potty!

I had siblings years ago and I told them not to put any sand in the water table. It was a new water table that had a battery operated tap/pump. I put the sand table on the opposite side of the garden to the water table - as far away as it could be.

Within the time it took me to step into the kitchen to get the sunhats, they'd tipped a bucket of sand into the water, turned the pump on and broken it! Literally within 2 minutes of it being set up. I was not a happy bunny and they knew it!

loocyloo
25-04-2019, 06:41 PM
I end up with sand in the water tray and water in the sand. Then when they moan that there is no sand left/ water all yucky ... i point out that they did it and generally had fun doing so! ... last week they were carrying the wet dripping sand out of the water tray back to sand tray!

mumofone
27-04-2019, 01:35 PM
I had siblings years ago and I told them not to put any sand in the water table. It was a new water table that had a battery operated tap/pump. I put the sand table on the opposite side of the garden to the water table - as far away as it could be.

Within the time it took me to step into the kitchen to get the sunhats, they'd tipped a bucket of sand into the water, turned the pump on and broken it! Literally within 2 minutes of it being set up. I was not a happy bunny and they knew it!

Oh my god mouse thats awful! I would have been livid but what dyou do!!

mumofone
27-04-2019, 01:36 PM
I end up with sand in the water tray and water in the sand. Then when they moan that there is no sand left/ water all yucky ... i point out that they did it and generally had fun doing so! ... last week they were carrying the wet dripping sand out of the water tray back to sand tray!

Oh god its so nice to hear others talking about this. Im verging on OCD and sometimes wonder if im in completely the wrong job when i see stuff like this!!!!!

Mouse
27-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Oh my god mouse thats awful! I would have been livid but what dyou do!!

I contacted the company who made the sand table and explained what had happened. They were really good and sent me out a replacement, free of charge. After that we tended to stick with either sand or water play!

Mouse
27-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Oh god its so nice to hear others talking about this. Im verging on OCD and sometimes wonder if im in completely the wrong job when i see stuff like this!!!!!

How do you feel about children mixing different colours of playdough together? I struggled with that for years and would only ever have one colour out at a time. Either that or I'd make dough and not put any colouring in it :laughing:

Strangely though, it doesn't bother me any more and I've even managed to mix colours together myself :clapping:

loocyloo
27-04-2019, 07:01 PM
How do you feel about children mixing different colours of playdough together? I struggled with that for years and would only ever have one colour out at a time. Either that or I'd make dough and not put any colouring in it :laughing:

Strangely though, it doesn't bother me any more and I've even managed to mix colours together myself :clapping:

i have issues with children mixing bought playdough colours together, but not if i've made it!

I actually don't have an issue with them mixing together sand/water/mud/stones and whatever other debris they find! but I don't like finding a stinking bucket of said mixture hidden under a bush! :laughing: OR, when they mix in their most favourite mixing bowl ... the back of the cosy coupe car !!!! :laughing:

Maza
28-04-2019, 07:45 AM
I have no problem with them mixing playdough, but then I have only ever used home made dough. I think with very young children you are fighting a losing battle with lots of different colours.

I also don't mind them mixing sand and water into a big sloppy mess - but yes, I have found it in the cosy coupe car and that is a bit annoying. When I worked in reception class I went through a phase of finding it in the hand bags in the home corner!

I just get so grumpy with people who put the lid on glue sticks before they have rolled down the glue first.

loocyloo
28-04-2019, 08:36 AM
I just get so grumpy with people who put the lid on glue sticks before they have rolled down the glue first.

Or those who twist the glue stick up as far as it will go and then leave it too dry out!

Maza
28-04-2019, 08:43 AM
Or those who twist the glue stick up as far as it will go and then leave it too dry out!

Yes, lol. With glitter on the end too.