PDA

View Full Version : do i want to work with kids

disney
12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
a little bit confused im afraid:( i used to work in a nursery school and decided to leave to work as a minder at home mainly because i worked fro 7 - 6 and getting home at the end of the day was about 7 , so wanted to work for my self to choose my own hours . but now im not shore about minding

well i had a call today from a gentleman who was offering me a free course to do my nvc he said it only takes about 6 months and after that you are qualified ! so this means mrs ...... you dont have to stay at home and mind you could better your self and work at a nursery :rolleyes: yes but i have worked at a nursery for years before . so now i dont know if its because of the hols but maybe i dont want to do this kids thing at all :blush: x

muminamini
12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi there

I don't often post as I hardly get 5 mins to look at my computer but I'm having a really bad d ay and came on here for a bit of support myself and saw your message.

Do you think it could be a case of the grass is always greener? It is easy when you are having a bad day to question everything...I should know as today I have been on the verge of tears all day and have been toying with the idea of giving notice on my two mindees. I've just sat them all down in the living room to have some quiet time and made myself a cup of tea and reminded myself that today is just one bad day out of many many really good enjoyable ones. It is so easy to dwell on the negative and start questioning what you are doing.

Only you can say whether or not you still want to work with kids as of course that is a deeply personal decision but what I would say is don't rush your decision and think carefully about all the pro's and cons. I know I would have snapped anyones hand off today if they had offered me a way out of looking after my troop! However, I then remind myself of the reasons why I do childmind and why it fits in for me and when I have had 2 mins to actually get myself a drink or heck even a trip unaccompanied to the toilet :p then things don't seem quite so bad.

Hope you feel better about everything soon
x

sarah707
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
We all have bad days... and some are worse than others.

You see your house getting wrecked, toys everywhere, kids shouting and fighting...

But when I ask my 2 teenagers what they think is best about me childminding, without fail, they say it is that I was there when they were young and I'm still here now...

I'm around for school things, I'm here when they come in from school with their stories, I sit with them at tea every night. It's being able to do things like that make it worthwhile and them having good memories... they forget about the horrors I have minded over the years and remember the nice children.

You can only do what you feel is right for you - but the grass isn't always greener.

Sending hugs for a bad day xx

SonnysMummy
12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
From working in nurseries myself...i really do not think that by working in a nursery you would be bettering yourself. To put it bluntly...with regarding nurseries, the grass is not greener;)

fishbones1
13-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Only you can decide what is best for you. Maybe do the course anyway if its free and you have something to use if you do decide to stop childminding. I have recently completed a degree, and was going to go onto teacher training but decided I wanted to stay at home with my daughter so went into childminding (not that I have any mindee's yet!) but at least I know I have my degree and can move onto teacher training when I feel I want to and daughter has gone to school (unless I have another by then!!!)

You need to do what you want to do, its no good being unhappy. I have worked in many nurseries in various positions and to be honest my best job was when I left and went into a school.