PDA

View Full Version : toddler constipation

chubbymummy
09-01-2008, 11:03 AM
don't know if you'll be able to help me sort this problem out!

i mind a 18 month old child who i've had for 6 months

ever since i've had him he's had constipation.....he goes days without doing anything then when he goes he screems the biggest scream ever.

the problem i've got is that i've told the mum and she obviosly knows about it, she's had him at the doctors and they gave him lactulose..... it's not working for him. still no change

i keep telling her but don't want to over step the mark she is a great mum but i think he should go back to doc's.

how do i tell her without it looking like i know better than her??????

angeldelight
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Always difficult when you do not agree with a parent

You really do need to have a chat with her and work together on this

Just explain that you are concerned and ask if she has any ideas because you do not think that the medication is working from the doc
Let her think she is helping you and not the other way around if you know what I mean - so the ball is in her court so to speak

Maybe you could print some advice from the interent to show her - you do not even have to say you did it for her just say it is some information you have already got

You might find some information here

http://www.babycenter.com/0_constipation_11419.bc

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/toddler-constipation

http://www.childrenfirstforhealth.co.uk/families/experts/c/constipation_toddler.html

Hope that helps but see what everyone else says

Good luck

Angel xx

chubbymummy
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
thanks angel

sarah707
09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh the poor little thing! It will lead to fluid leakage and expanded bowel muscles and all sorts of horrible complications in later life... maybe you ought to mention that to the mother!

I can't be doing with these people who purport to care so much for their children then don't do the basic stuff to safeguard their health. :panic:

Does she want a teenager who poos his pants cos he's never been supported to empty his bowels properly when he was little? That's what she's on the way to getting....believe me, I know, I used to look after one... they told him off! They didn't look for a solution, they just got angry with him... the poor lad couldn't help it!! :angry:

Oh cross now... recover Sarah... big smile... 4 year old birthday coming up... cakes and candles... oh joy! :D

Raggydolls
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM
can u give toddlers watered down fruit juice see if that helps in any way,

i got something with senna in from the docs when i had constipation for about 4 days with nothing working i tried. took about a week b4 i was back to normal without them

leanne
xx

custardcream
09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Sarahs right.
I know a little boy who was like this and parents just left it, his bowel became distorted and he had bowel leakages all the time poor little thing, he had to go back to wearing pull ups when he was 5.

deeb66
09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I had the same problem last year with one of the little girls I look after.

She was having problems going to the toilet and was screaming, stamping her feet and was in obvious pain.....We tried everything and I spoke to mum several times but she didn't do anything about it.

I did get a little cross and in the end was quite graphic about the problems that it could be causing internally and the effects for later on in life. Mum finally went to the doctors and he prescribed MOVICAL.

Usually it is given to adults to help with severe constipation due to drugs/medication that they have to take but there is a paediatric version too.

We gave it to her twice daily and within a few days her motions were soft again and easy to pass. She did have to stay on it for a few months as motions became hard again otherwise but it sorted the problem out.

Hope this helps

angeldelight
09-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Omg Dee I remember that story - that seems like ages and ages ago now

Angel xx

deeb66
09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah it does seem like ages and ages doesn't it?

I am pleased to say the Movical sorted to out and is good stuff.

chubbymummy
09-01-2008, 02:12 PM
thanks everyone for your good advice

i did express my concerns again when she picked child up today

fionamal
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
My daughter was the same since 6 months old. Our local docs were doing nothing other than lactulose so we took her to Bupa as hubby gets it through his work.

They prescibed movicol and its been great. She only took it for 6 months and it seemed to clear up. Apparently because she was being constipated through the weaning process so accosiated poos as being painful so wouldnt go and it would build up until she had to go and be even more painful so it was all in the mind.

Now shes more regular with no medication but does have to drink lots of fresh orange juice, water and eat lots of fruit and homemade soup.
If we go on holiday it tends to creep back as her routine is upset.
Shes now almost 5 so hopefully thats the end of it. The Bupa docs did say that if Movicol didnt work then it would be surgery to stretch the bowel.

deeb66
09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
My daughter was the same since 6 months old. Our local docs were doing nothing other than lactulose so we took her to Bupa as hubby gets it through his work.

They prescibed movicol and its been great. She only took it for 6 months and it seemed to clear up. Apparently because she was being constipated through the weaning process so accosiated poos as being painful so wouldnt go and it would build up until she had to go and be even more painful so it was all in the mind.

Now shes more regular with no medication but does have to drink lots of fresh orange juice, water and eat lots of fruit and homemade soup.
If we go on holiday it tends to creep back as her routine is upset.
Shes now almost 5 so hopefully thats the end of it. The Bupa docs did say that if Movicol didnt work then it would be surgery to stretch the bowel.

I am glad that it worked for your daughter too.

As I said I think it is really good stuff and if a child is in that sort of state then the doctor should prescribe it.

chubbymummy
09-01-2008, 07:27 PM
next time i speak to the mum i think i'll advise her to suggest movical. thanks for your help.

the thing is he eats 2 weetabix each morning and he loves fruit and veg.

deeb66
12-01-2008, 04:09 PM
The little girl I used to look after used to eat loads of fruit and veg but it didn't make a difference.

I don't think it was made any easier by the fact that she knew it was going to hurt to have a poo and kept putting it off - with the Movicol they can't put it off....