PDA

View Full Version : 14 month old point blank refuses to sleep help

KateA
20-12-2018, 12:17 AM
Hi, I look after a 15 month old boy who point blank refuses to sleep despite being tired! All he does is scream at me a really high pitched scream but no tears all day if up or been put down for a nap and does not give up or give in to sleep. I have tried travel cot, pushchair with Rockit and nothing works. Mum says he sleeps in his cot for 2 hours at home after being point down and left to go to sleep. ( on the days he is not with me) I have him 3 days a week 8-5. He sometimes drops off in car but I am not prepared to drive around and around on the off chance he will sleep as unfair on others . He is usually dropped off with a good luck he has been awake since 5!!!!

How can I encourage sleep and actually get him to sleep.

moggy
20-12-2018, 10:01 AM
How long's he been with you? Sounds like he is not feeling secure enough yet to relax enough to sleep. I find naps improve with time!
How is his cot at home- dark? special comforter? Dummy? Musical box playing? Try to replicate. Depends what other children you have, but can you sit by cot to reassure?

SYLVIA
20-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Oh I feel for you. I have one nearly 11 month old who screams for attention nearly all day and only sleeps 20 mins. I glad it’s only 1 day a week which I’m sure is part of the screaming problem but I couldn’t take any more!!

FloraDora
21-12-2018, 09:00 PM
I had a 16 month old who found it difficult to sleep at my house on arriving.
All my LO’s napped/ rested straight after lunch, that was the routine. So he saw the others settling down and we said sleep tight/ rest well to each one then I took him in to his room and put him in the cot...leaving the door open. They all had stories/ music to listen to so I popped his lullaby music on ....and then I sat just outside his room and started the diaries. He moaned at first and I would just smile at him, but not converse....occasionally he bellowed, for a minute and looked at me for a reaction, but I just sat there, about 3 ft from his cot and occupied myself, reassuring him with a stroke sometimes, he just eventually dropped off.....but I think the routine of the same time and all the others doing the same( older ones had rest boxes, where they played/ drew etc...whilst they listened to stories ) helped. We talked about the routine and had a visual calendar so he knew what was coming next.
Like Moggy said, I think children settle to sleep in a strange house once they are settled and comfortable with you.

Dragonfly
25-12-2018, 07:15 PM
I had a child come to me this year 1 yr and 1 day old slept couple hours at night at a time so always over tired. What I done is put him in what I call my indoor pushchair ( used for sleeps, place of safety if I nip to the loo or over tiredbabies/toddlers to sit and watch with a toy) made cosy with a blanket and left him in same room to watch me other children, over time he fell to sleep in the pushchair whilst in the same room then I moved him out the room. Gradually I started moving him awake to the hall to fall asleep and finally the living room. Didn’t take long but wasn’t over night. He now goes in the living room awake falls to sleep and usually has 1+ hours brilliant,to what having at home.
Consistently is the key thing and now he feels safe and secure and knows the routine. Changed child.

mumofone
20-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Gosh we have a tough job don't we! Sometimes I forget how hard we all work getting babies and children to settle.

Dragonfly
21-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Some children are harder to settle than others. People think childminding is so easy:rolleyes:. They ought to try it for a week.making sure every child’s needs are met. Planning ( even in your head) activities, prep and clearing up of these, school runs the list goes on. Some days I think working in waitrose looks great!

BallyH
21-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Some children are harder to settle than others. People think childminding is so easy:rolleyes:. They ought to try it for a week.making sure every child’s needs are met. Planning ( even in your head) activities, prep and clearing up of these, school runs the list goes on. Some days I think working in waitrose looks great!

I thought today maybe it’s time for a new career. Lo had a total screaming melt down as she didn’t want to walk around the park. Screamed loudly. But no tears! Really had to stop myself joining her. But am feeling better now.

Maza
21-01-2019, 07:35 PM
I thought today maybe it’s time for a new career. Lo had a total screaming melt down as she didn’t want to walk around the park. Screamed loudly. But no tears! Really had to stop myself joining her. But am feeling better now.

I've had this - it's embarrassing isn't it?

loocyloo
22-01-2019, 01:30 PM
i had a 2.5 yr old last week who alternately screamed as if her arm was being cut off, or sulked ALL DAY! She did walk etc but huffed and puffed and sighed the whole time. AND refused to eat any snack or lunch! did sleep for 3 hrs though!

Hey ho! i text mum who said she had 'been that way out' when she woke, but mum had 'got her round' and offered her a multitude of choices for breakfast and what she was wearing, and where she sat in the car ....

i could have given up that day! Asda check out was looking very appealing!

but i just ignored her, and said 'ok' when she screamed no at me for any food ' its on the table if you want it ' and just carried on having fun whilst apparently not noticing the screaming ab dabs and sulking!

to be fair, she does this every other week or so ( but not usually for quite so long! ) and all the other children just ignore her too!

but back to KateA ... have you managed to get LO to sleep? if i have a non-sleeper at that age, i usually snuggle them up in warm coat/hat etc and then fleece blankets all cocooned in the buggy outside in the fresh air ( or under a raincover if its raining! ) and generally they sleep with a bit of rocking. its very draining when they don't.
i've currently got a 9mth old who barely sleeps at home, yet for me sleeps the day away! i try to keep babe awake, but he just falls asleep in my arms or on the floor! i think its because he is snuggled in buggy for morning and afternoon school runs, plus i don't jump and rush to his side the moment he stirs!
Good Luck xx

mama2three
22-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Today I’m having one of those challenging days. I’d forgotten how loud an overtired 10 month old can be!!

BallyH
22-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Today I’m having one of those challenging days. I’d forgotten how loud an overtired 10 month old can be!!

Yes. Plus when they do it in public and you’re grinning like a Cheshire Cat for all so see but underneath ...........

KateA
30-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, I have had a break through the little one now sleeps in my travel cot. We can some times go all morning screaming on and off in tiredness but I have learnt unless he physical lays on the floor it’s no point putting him down as the screaming starts and he does not give up or given in until back up again. However if I wait until after lunch he is out like a light no issues. I am also beginning to suspect he is used to being driven in the car until asleep!

loocyloo
30-01-2019, 05:38 PM
So pleased you've managed to get LO to sleep.

BallyH
30-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, I have had a break through the little one now sleeps in my travel cot. We can some times go all morning screaming on and off in tiredness but I have learnt unless he physical lays on the floor it’s no point putting him down as the screaming starts and he does not give up or given in until back up again. However if I wait until after lunch he is out like a light no issues. I am also beginning to suspect he is used to being driven in the car until asleep!

Well done for getting there. Each child is unique.