PDA

View Full Version : Whats the quickest parent visit you have had?

FussyElmo
18-09-2018, 10:27 AM
I had a parent visit this morning 17 minutes. Coming back Thursday to sign paperwork and starts next week.

I feel the telephone call my fb page and childcare.co.uk profile can really help parents get to know you before a visit.

Also do you know instantly whether or not you can work with a parent.

I also know my flexibility on hours/days have been a bonus.

chris goodyear
19-09-2018, 10:45 AM
I had a parent visit this morning 17 minutes. Coming back Thursday to sign paperwork and starts next week.

I feel the telephone call my fb page and childcare.co.uk profile can really help parents get to know you before a visit.

Also do you know instantly whether or not you can work with a parent.

I also know my flexibility on hours/days have been a bonus.

I had similar last week, phone call one evening, visit the next day and confirmed before they left. It does happen, not often but it does!!

sarah707
22-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Quickest - probably about an hour...

Slowest - a parent who made herself at home and wouldn't go :rolleyes:

It takes all sorts!! :laughing:

bunyip
23-09-2018, 07:47 AM
My quickest lasted about twenty minutes. She breezed in like she owned the place, investigated the house and asked questions. Didn’t pay much regard to the questions I asked her, which is where she went wrong. She phoned later to say she’d take the place, which gave me the opportunity to say I had not, and would not be offering her a place.

chris goodyear
23-09-2018, 10:19 AM
How did she take that Bunyip and how did you word it? I know it works both ways but I find it very hard to tell a parent I don't want to work with them even if I really don't! I had one where I didn't feel at all comfortable with the parent and the little boy was horrendous!! They left and I thought no way. then parent phoned about 3 days later saying can they start and I'm afraid I lied and said the place had gone to a (non existent) enquiry I had previously, couldn't think of anything else and if parent had asked on the day of the visit face to face I probably would have taken the child and deeply regretted it

bunyip
23-09-2018, 03:22 PM
I don’t recall precisely what I said on that occasion.

Generally when I turn down a family I just say I’ve weighed everything up and decided I’m not in a position to offer a place. I’m very matter of fact about it. If you start apologising about it, then people will believe you’re at fault, which you aren’t.

I don’t entirely agree with Disraeli's "never complain and never explain" but there are situations where it’s a useful maxim. Some parents might say they want an explanation, but I suspect they'd want it a whole lot less if I ever gave them the unvarnished truth of what I think about them. :D

It’s certainly worth approaching from the point of view that the parent is applying for a place, rather than going shopping for childcare, and it empowers you, the CM, to believe you have some say in the matter.

chris goodyear
24-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Thanks I'll try and keep that in mind for the future

Mouse
25-09-2018, 01:35 PM
I had a family here for half an hour last week. After about 10 minutes they said they definitely wanted their child to come here, but we still chatted for a while and I told them to go away and think about it, just so they were sure.
We completed paperwork the next day and their child started with me yesterday :thumbsup:

mumofone
26-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Quickest - probably about an hour...

Slowest - a parent who made herself at home and wouldn't go :rolleyes:

It takes all sorts!! :laughing:

Lol!!!! Yes, i've had some that get a bit TOO comfy!!!!