View Full Version : Do you have to have first aid when working together/

16-08-2018, 07:27 PM
My Paediatric fist aid is coming to its expiration within the next few weeks. I do not want to renew it as it will cost me £85 and I will be giving up childminding within the next few months. I co - mind with my Mum at her house. She is still going to be minding so she is going to be paying the £85 and renewing her Paed's first aid in September. Do I have to have paediatric first aid if we are ALWAYS together? Even if that means my Mum can not leave me with the children to go to the toilet! Nursery staff do not have to be paed's first aid trained, just as long as some are, so surely we are the same? TIA x

16-08-2018, 07:58 PM
The EYFS says that childminders must hold a full current PFA certificate, so I would say you have to have it.

If you really don't want to redo the course and you're giving up anyway, couldn't you resign now and become your mum's assistant? You still wouldn't be allowed to be left alone with the children, but at least it wouldn't be a requirement to have a PFA.

17-08-2018, 06:37 AM
If you work as a registered childminder, you need to fulfil the regulations whilst doing so. That includes maintaining your PFA training.

As Mouse says, your other option is to de register then operate as an assistant, working under those regulations that apply to assistants.

Comparisons with nursery staff are irrelevant. It’s not something you can simply reason away, because it’s the Law and in a constitutional democracy it simply isn’t necessary for any law to make sense (see 'British values'.)

25-08-2018, 08:27 PM
A colleague was downgraded to inadequate because her assistant didn't have first aid and she sometimes left him unsupervised while she, for example, went outside (and he was inside), left the room to do things in another room etc...

So yes, you both need first aid :D