PDA

View Full Version : Childminding grandchildren

catlyn
23-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Am I right thinking that I need all the same paperwork for my grandchild as I do for other children if I am caring for him during working hours....I know he will count in my ratios

bunyip
23-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Ofsted include grandchildren within their definition of children you are "related to", so they do not count as minded children but they do count as children you are responsible for.

You are required to count them within your ratio because you are responsible for them. It is worth noting here that you remain responsible for grandchildren in Ofsted’s eyes even if your OH is present: anyone except their parents. This is why I originally got Mrs bunyip appointed as an official assistant, because otherwise my grandchildren acted as a serious limitation on my numbers.

Since they are not minded children you don’t really need to do all the usual paperwork for them. They do have to go on your attendance register, to show you work within ratio.

TBH I’ve always done more paperwork than is absolutely necessary for my grandchildren. In part, this is because I find it useful to have all children’s information in one place. eg I know where to look if I need their doctor’s or HV's contact details, etc.

Also, I only had a couple of non-family mindees when I first started, so it was good practice for me to do all the paperwork. I even did learning journals for them. My first inspector was happy to look at these, as they demonstrated what we could do. But I must stress that's not a requirement, and a lot of inspectors would not look at anything to do with related children.

catlyn
23-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Thank you thats very helpful x