PDA

View Full Version : Looking to do childminding.. any childminders who can help?!

Kelsey
10-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Hi ladies and men.. sorry in advance for long post!!
I just wondered if any one out there is a childminder or even works in a nursery? Im seriously thinking about becoming a childminder leading on after my maternity and lucky enough to have a room and big house to do it from. My mum was a childminder when we were young and we enjoyed it so hoping my LO (little one) will slot right in. I was going to put LO (little one) with a childminder if I was to go back to work anyway. I have an open evening I’m going to go find out more, get put on the course etc. I have a few concerns though..
Will people be put off as I have no history in a nursery/school? Only parental experience and from a big family with kids etc? I’m 26.
I know there’s a lot more paperwork, guidelines and planning you have to do. Is this difficult or quite simple to pick themes, occasions, activities for every day? I know it depends on age.
As long as I record everything I think the self employed part wouldnt be too hard. I worked in admin/accounts before so very organised etc anyway. I just hope it’s easy to get my name out there.
Any recommendations for toys/themes/activities to buy first and gradually build up my things? I am thinking table&chairs, books, play kitchen etc but want to know who will be on my books first boy/girl/age to then buy appropriately. Obviously I will buy all safety bits, medical box and have stair gates already etc.
Looking for positive and negative thoughts - I won’t take it personally!! Just need some words of wisdom so I know it’s the right thing to do. Also how long/ is it easy to get going? I know childcare depends on area but just worrying and need to know it’s ok!!
Thanks in advance ! X x x

chris goodyear
12-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Hi
I think the best thing for you is to attend the open evening and hopefully a lot will be explained. I started more than 30 years ago and I had the same questions as you - I didn't tell prospective parents that they were my first 'clients' (rightly or wrongly) and when I did tell them later they were all surprised as I apparently gave off signals that I was experienced! Other childminders I know did 'come clean' and still got the work so just depends on how you feel about it. It sounds like you have all the basics covered as to equipment and then add to it as you go along. Yes there is quite a bit of paperwork (none when I started) but maybe it will be easier as it's where you will start whereas I had to learn after I had been minding for years - old dog + new tricks comes to mind! Organisation is the key to not letting the paperwork side get you down and then it's not too bad. Are there any childminders near you to give advice? Best to get known as well and then work can come your way through others and the childcare .co.uk website is great.

moggy
12-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Childminders rarely have prior childcare experience other than their own parenting.
Planning is very personal and your training will cover it. I do not do themes, some do. You will find what suits you and your children.
Toy library, car boot sales, charity shops are all good places to start with for toys and resources. 'Loose parts' are just as useful and lead to far more imaginative play- pine cones, blocks, fabrics, tubes, hoops, planks of wood, guttering, balls, crates. Lots can be gathered for free.
Best try to find your local childminder group or network as other local childminders will be your new colleagues- for play dates, support and advise and to pass work on.

Maza
12-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Go for it - it's a wonderful job!

Don't worry about having no childcare experience, most don't.

with regards to toys, as you have your own little one you will have lots anyway. Many clients are going back to work after maternity and so the babies are just under one year - so you will have that covered. I have a daughter and I asked all my family to buy unisex colour toys instead of pink - I know toy colour shouldn't matter, but for some it does.

I would wait until you have been to the meeting and then decide if it is definitely something you want to do and then begin looking for bargains. The more expensive must haves tend to be a travel cot, double pushchair (assuming you already have a single pushchair) and a highchair. All of these you can buy second hand or in sales. Everything else you can build up over time.

FloraDora
13-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Sensible advice re going to the meeting and training and making final decision.
It took 10 months for all mine to go through...waiting to go on the LA courses was my biggest hold up as they didn’t run them all the time. Also, the paediatric first aid courses get booked up in advance too.
Once I had completed the courses though it was about 4 months from finishing course to getting my certificate following the registration visit from Ofsted. Some people get caught up in a lengthy wait for their dbs though and doctors are often not quick in returning the medical information, so be aware hold ups can happen.
You can build up your resources but you need to show that you are ready to open the next day at the Ofsted registration so you will need a range of basics to cover the Early years curriculum.....I am a big fan of loose materials too, but you need to be able to talk about how you will use them to the visiting inspector.
If you have a LO Under one you cannot take on another baby...only one under 12 months at a time I’d permitted, unless you have an assistant.

Good luck in your decision, it is hard work but very satisfying and lots of fun.

sarah707
14-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the forum!

You will find all the advice you need about registering as a childminder here :clapping:

How to Register as a Childminder in England - Childcare.co.uk (https://www.childcare.co.uk/how-to-register-as-a-childminder)