PDA

View Full Version : Child spitting out food

loocyloo
31-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Help!

I have a lovely new mindee, on 2 yr funding, who, when she eats, chews a mouthful, and then spits at least every other one out! I wondered if it was skin on veg etc to start with, but it seems to have no reason.

Normally I would be saying ' we don't spit food out, we swallow it into our tummy ' BUT this child has a dairy allergy, and has been taught to spit out food that could feel funny in her mouth. And so, I don't want to push it, as although recent allergy testing confirms it's just dairy, the family have a history of allergies/intolerances appearing as they get older....
Any suggestions?!

sarah707
01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
I'd provide some tissues so she can spit into those and encourage / teach her to spit discretely so it doesn't impact on other children (knowing how they like to copy) ...

At the same time speak to parents about it - it might be a habit which needs to be broken and they will need to deal with it at home first with you supporting them :D

loocyloo
01-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Thanks...I did speak to mum... it appears she and the rest of the family don't have an issue with it! :(

Think I will at least introduce a tissue! I'm hoping that she'll learn about different rules in different places!

Maza
01-04-2018, 08:24 PM
You might just have sewn a seed in the mum's mind that this is unusual behaviour.

The tissue is a good idea.