PDA

View Full Version : GDPR and WhatsApp

Fitrix
19-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Hi all, just been reading about WhatsApp being in violation of the new GDPR regs because data is stored by WhatsApp themselves. We personally use WhatsApp extensively to send photos to parents (especially new starters to reassure them that their child is settling) and to communicate during the day as to how their children are / pick up delays etc.
Should we no longer be using this medium? Seems a bit extreme to me to be honest. Can anyone shed any light?

loocyloo
19-03-2018, 04:41 PM
I use what'sapp for this as well.
Mainly because my phone seems to have issues sending photos any other way! Plus, it's really helpful to know message hasarrived and when it's been viewed.

Fitrix
19-03-2018, 05:57 PM
I guess it comes down to sensitive data. But what EXACTLY does that entail. Is information about a child’s general well-bring considered sensitive data? Obviously we don’t share addresses and really personal information. Photos - surely if we have parental permission we can share photos of their children in any medium? What does the new ruling mean for newspaper articles on schools / magazine articles on settings which include children’s photos? I need clarification!!

hectors house
20-03-2018, 09:03 AM
I use Whatsapp too to reassure parents that child soon settled if they were upset on drop off, last week I did a short video of a child who had a terrible cough and wheeze - I sent it to parent when she came to collect child and she showed it to the doctor who diagnosed asthma.
I put all other photos / videos on Tapestry but I don't think parents see that straight away.

mama2three
20-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Surely that’s the same with Facebook , Instagram , WhatsApp ...most of the online journals ?
I use WhatsApp or Dropbox to send pics too , would be good to get clarification.

Dragonfly
20-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Think it’s because it’s an American company that owns WhatsApp?

FussyElmo
20-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Facebook own WhatsApp. They have said they will not share data with facebook whether or not thats enough to comply is still to be seen

Dragonfly
21-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Oh do they, I didn’t realise that thank you. I don’t do Facebook but do, do WhatsApp.

loocyloo
21-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Oh do they, I didn’t realise that thank you. I don’t do Facebook but do, do WhatsApp.

Neither did I and neither do I!

FussyElmo
21-03-2018, 09:09 AM
They also own Instagram if you use that.

Dragonfly
21-03-2018, 02:46 PM
No don’t do that either !

loocyloo
21-03-2018, 05:46 PM
No don’t do that either !

nope, neither do I !!!

BallyH
21-03-2018, 07:53 PM
I use whatsappp a lot during the day so I'm looking forward to it being clarified.

sarah707
24-03-2018, 06:33 PM
ICO have said they don't have a problem with WhatsApp ...

We must have a legal reason for processing data and it must be secure.

Our legal reason for sharing photos with parents is usually 'legitimate interest' because it is a requirement of the eyfs to share information with parents and share home learning...

WhatsApp - and other data sharing programs - allow us to share quickly and, with end to end encryption, securely.

The most important thing is to run it by parents and agree what data sharing method/s they are happy with you using.

More advice in this video - recorded by me for you :D Photos of Children and GDPR for Early Years Providers - Childcare.co.uk (https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/photos-of-children-and-gdpr)

BallyH
24-03-2018, 08:22 PM
ICO have said they don't have a problem with WhatsApp ...

We must have a legal reason for processing data and it must be secure.

Our legal reason for sharing photos with parents is usually 'legitimate interest' because it is a requirement of the eyfs to share information with parents and share home learning...

WhatsApp - and other data sharing programs - allow us to share quickly and, with end to end encryption, securely.

The most important thing is to run it by parents and agree what data sharing method/s they are happy with you using.

More advice in this video - recorded by me for you :D Photos of Children and GDPR for Early Years Providers - Childcare.co.uk (https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/photos-of-children-and-gdpr)

Thank you Sarah

Dragonfly
25-03-2018, 05:32 PM
Thank you Sarah.

loocyloo
26-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Thank you xxx