PDA

View Full Version : potty training

mumofone
15-03-2018, 01:57 PM
I have a child who toilet trained young but not quite to the same standard i would consider toilet trained if that makes sense.
Anyway, child has been having accidents (one every time she comes to me) for past few months and simply wont tell me when she needs the loo. I ask her regularly and also take her to the toilet regularly. My policy states that if children have frequent accidents they must go back in training pants until its sorted but even though this is my policy and this is what i want (she's weeing all over my house basically at the moment so its a real hygiene issue) i know mum wont want her to (which i do understand). What should I do??!!

Kiddleywinks
16-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Firstly, how old is the child now?
Have they always done this at your house?
Has there been any changes in circumstances that could account for the accidents - family, preschool, nursery, even you taking on a new child?

What parents call toilet trained and what we call toilet trained can be two very different things, so are they having any accidents at home too or are parents sitting child on toilet/potty every 10/20 mins and 'catching' rather than child being aware of what's going on.

Personally, depending on childs age, understanding and circumstances, I would be insisting parents supply training pants due to hygiene issues, as children can sometimes go backwards.

mumofone
16-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Firstly, how old is the child now?
Have they always done this at your house?
Has there been any changes in circumstances that could account for the accidents - family, preschool, nursery, even you taking on a new child?

What parents call toilet trained and what we call toilet trained can be two very different things, so are they having any accidents at home too or are parents sitting child on toilet/potty every 10/20 mins and 'catching' rather than child being aware of what's going on.

Personally, depending on childs age, understanding and circumstances, I would be insisting parents supply training pants due to hygiene issues, as children can sometimes go backwards.

they trained at 2.5 - its been going on since they've been "trained" - past few months, every session they are with me. Really stable life both here and at home - no changes or anything.

BallyH
19-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Are the parents doing their bit at home or do you think they may be putting the child back in nappies/training pants whilst with them in the hope you'll sort it out yourself?

loocyloo
19-03-2018, 04:55 PM
I have a 3yr 2mth old who comes after school ... she apparently has been trained since she was 18 mths ... but until 4 mths ago was at full time day nursery...... She has lots of accidents at home and is sometimes (frequently) sent to school in pull ups ... which none of us know ... but when it is noticed, she refuses to have pants on. When she has pants on, she frequently has accidents, as I don't think she knows where she is!
I've just told mum today that enough is enough, everyone is fed up and THEY have to bite the bullet and lose the pull ups. IT IS NOT UP TO US! Mum and dad say 'they are very busy' (work full time) and reading between the lines can't be bothered with the hassle. I think it's also attention seeking from child as they CAN and HAVE worn pants for several days on the trot with no accidents. :panic::panic:

mumofone
19-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Are the parents doing their bit at home or do you think they may be putting the child back in nappies/training pants whilst with them in the hope you'll sort it out yourself?

I'm pretty confident the parents don't put her in nappies at home. I think she has more accidents than they let on at home but i do think she is in pants the whole time.

mumofone
19-03-2018, 09:51 PM
I have a 3yr 2mth old who comes after school ... she apparently has been trained since she was 18 mths ... but until 4 mths ago was at full time day nursery...... She has lots of accidents at home and is sometimes (frequently) sent to school in pull ups ... which none of us know ... but when it is noticed, she refuses to have pants on. When she has pants on, she frequently has accidents, as I don't think she knows where she is!
I've just told mum today that enough is enough, everyone is fed up and THEY have to bite the bullet and lose the pull ups. IT IS NOT UP TO US! Mum and dad say 'they are very busy' (work full time) and reading between the lines can't be bothered with the hassle. I think it's also attention seeking from child as they CAN and HAVE worn pants for several days on the trot with no accidents. :panic::panic:

Oh gosh thats awful! I had one child i suspected had been in pull ups outside my setting whilst sent to me in pants. They are still not properly trained and about to start school.