PDA

View Full Version : Parental complaints and the consequences

sandramojolli
09-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Please make an agreement written in stone with parents regarding complaints, to talk to you first before going to MASH, police etc.

A parent, with a newborn, called the police based on something her 4 year old has said, without calling me first. when we met up later, the matter was related to an innocent game and allegation was withdrawn, with a huge apology from the mother.

The police arrived later in the day, entered the house uninvited, asking me to contact the parents to take the kids away as they were 'in danger' (while letting me carry kids until they left!!). This left the other parents without childcare and my reputation potentially destroyed.

I was advised that the initial word of the child was 'trusted', as stories change and the investigation continued.

Next day to the police station for an very very tough voluntary interview which destroyed me, especially as my first language is not English.

Over the next few days the parents were 'interrogated'. A non-English speaking two year old was interviewed by a translator and psychologist to find out why she was so quite in my house in front the the police (and social worker).

Then came the 6 week suspension from Ofsted.

The investigation then moved to other look at my setting and how I care for the children. Ofsted inspected the 'legal' aspects of my setting and advised that when the matter was cleared up the licence would be restored.

Social workers investigated me, my husband and kids, and the other kids who were in my care.

After 11 days the call arrived that the case is dropped :clapping: - the recovery just begins...

So........be warned.......if you are unlucky to have someone in charge of the investigation as we had, it will cause financial, and emotional harm. I credit the parents - all gave as much support as they can, and Ofsted were good too. Lado were of little use and the police a huge disappointment.

FussyElmo
14-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Im sorry you have been through this experience.

However im not sure about your recommendation about getting parents to come to you before reporting any concerns about safeguarding.

If i had concerns about a case against my children i wouldnt go to the adult involved i would ring the police.

The safety of all children must be paramount. Unfortunately as lone workers we are vulnerable and yes its a harrowing time for us

sandramojolli
14-03-2018, 12:53 PM
The general view of the mother who raised the complaint, and the parents were that she should have spoken to me first given the nature of the complaint. It is almost being argued here that all parents should always consult the police with any suspicion, discouraging communications with their childminder? The police in my case were aggressively looking for 'guilt' as opposed to facts even though I was not charged or cautioned.

Just because the agreement is there does not mean that someone cannot go to the police. People just need a little common sense and balance.
I have a complaints policy now on protecting the child, with instructions on who to call (MASH for example) if there is really suspicion of mal-practice.

This could have affected the welfare of my children, husband too who are of no 'blame'.

Anyway charges were dropped and I can return to work...when the children leave their alternative childcare.

We still have a section 47 family survey going on in the background (engaged over a week after the police 'raid')....but that should not an issue - I had a brilliant social worker.

Kiddleywinks
14-03-2018, 12:55 PM
So sorry you had to go through this, must have been horrendous, however, I agree with Fussy.
Even as a provider, we are told we don't approach parents but to contact the authorities and let them make the decision as to what happens next, rightly or wrongly.
I do however think that going into a setting with a 'bully boy guilty until proven innocent attitude' is not necessarily helpful or conducive way to go about things

Hope you're ok

FussyElmo
14-03-2018, 01:18 PM
I understand after the horrendous time you and your family have been through you are looking at ways of protecting yourself from it happening again.

If the parent had come to you with the concern your only course of action would have been to inform lado yourself and then they would have put their procedures in place. No one can say if the outcome would have been different.

bunyip
15-03-2018, 01:33 PM
I understand after the horrendous time you and your family have been through you are looking at ways of protecting yourself from it happening again.

If the parent had come to you with the concern your only course of action would have been to inform lado yourself and then they would have put their procedures in place. No one can say if the outcome would have been different.

I agree with Fussy.

Sympathy for the OP's feelings in such horrendous circumstances, but her advice to other CMs is going too far. By all means encourage clients to bring complaints to you first, and foster the trusting environment in which they’ll do so. But you cannot write an acceptable policy which insists on that, as that implies denying them the right to complain via other channels.

In short, any CM who wrote such a policy would be picked up at their next inspection and quite probably deemed 'inadequate'.