PDA

View Full Version : Snow - advice needed please

mumofone
28-02-2018, 07:15 PM
If its snows and parents decide not to bring their kids to you because they are staying off work/deem it unsafe or whatever do you still charge them or would you refund them? Not sure what to do if this happens...

moggy
28-02-2018, 07:24 PM
I'd still charge if I was still open and operating as usual.
Otherwise they could just decide not to bother bringing LO, knowing they're getting a refund!
But really that should be noted in your policies/contract already (or at least warn parents in advance so it is clear). Some people write something each winter, maybe in a newsletter, about keeping safe in the cold and that although you don't want anyone putting themselves at risk, you still need to charge as you are open.
BUT it depends on your relationship with the families- if they are really snowed in and you know they are not trying it on, then of course you make a decision that you feel right with. It is such a rare occurrence for most of us you just work it out as seems best at the time.
Think what you'd do if they couldn't get to you because their car broke down (ie something beyond their own control)- would you still charge? Probably yes? Maybe it is the same kind of thing?
A nursery would still charge, I am sure!!

mumofone
28-02-2018, 07:49 PM
I'd still charge if I was still open and operating as usual.
Otherwise they could just decide not to bother bringing LO, knowing they're getting a refund!
But really that should be noted in your policies/contract already (or at least warn parents in advance so it is clear). Some people write something each winter, maybe in a newsletter, about keeping safe in the cold and that although you don't want anyone putting themselves at risk, you still need to charge as you are open.
BUT it depends on your relationship with the families- if they are really snowed in and you know they are not trying it on, then of course you make a decision that you feel right with. It is such a rare occurrence for most of us you just work it out as seems best at the time.
Think what you'd do if they couldn't get to you because their car broke down (ie something beyond their own control)- would you still charge? Probably yes? Maybe it is the same kind of thing?
A nursery would still charge, I am sure!!

Thanks moggy, i dont want to refund at all but wondered if itd be cheeky of me if i say "well i'm still open" when its not me that has to necessarily leave the house...

You're right i should have it in a policy somewhere and send a note out each year before potential bad weather sets in...

Mouse
01-03-2018, 12:19 PM
None of my minded children have been able to get here today because of the snow, but I won't refund any of the parents. In my payment policy it says that full fee is due if I am open for business but the child doesn't attend. I say this includes such times as holiday, occasional days off, illness (including if I exclude) and days when parents can't get the child to me due to the weather.

Think about it another way. If you used a childminder and couldn't get there for the day because of the bad weather, would you expect them to offer you a refund? I know I wouldn't.

Pixie dust
01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
I don't offer refunds either my policy is basically the same as mouse's. I have one little one today who managed to get to me and this parent actually isn't at work today as they work in a school which is closed.

mumofone
01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Should i send a note to them all and say I am open for business as usual ? And then its up to them if they come?

Pixie dust
01-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Should i send a note to them all and say I am open for business as usual ? And then its up to them if they come?

That's your choice, I haven't the last 2 days and we have had bad weather with all the schools closings, parents have messaged me to say that either they maybe a little late due to the weather or that their child wouldn't be coming.

FussyElmo
01-03-2018, 07:24 PM

I'm off the opinion you only need to let them know if you are closed.