PDA

View Full Version : Any helpful ideas to support a child getting upset at drop off time?

Pixie dust
27-01-2018, 02:35 PM
I have a 3 year old who has been coming to me for nearly 5 months now, they have always been a bit unsettled at drop off times(some days would come in without a fuss and other days would need a little encouragement) but always settles within seconds of saying bye to mum. In January they started nursery so care is now shared across the 2 settings 3 days with me and 2 new at nursery. The problem is they now refuse to come in to mine or nursery they cling on to mum screaming. Anyone have any ideas how I can support them with this as mum is finding it hard now as they are so upset. The thing is once they are in and happily engaged in an activity they are fine for the rest of the day.

hectors house
28-01-2018, 12:41 AM
I often resort to putting the TV on, it's amazing how quickly they calm down - I generally have it in Channel 5 and they soon get bored when the first advert comes on, lose interest, go off to play and I turn it off again.

Maza
28-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Hectors house I had forgotten that I also put on the TV for one little one who would get upset at arrival. I think we did it without thinking one morning and noticed it worked. After a few days dad commented on it too - he said it had really helped because it was a familiar background noise and made it seem less like a nursery and more like a home from home. He was referring to his previous childminder who had a more formal, mini nursery set up, which didn't suit this particular child. Like Hectors house said, they only needed it for a few minutes and then were desperate to play. The parents knew we didn't have it on all day.

Pixie dust
28-01-2018, 11:28 AM
I often resort to putting the TV on, it's amazing how quickly they calm down - I generally have it in Channel 5 and they soon get bored when the first advert comes on, lose interest, go off to play and I turn it off again.

Thanks for this idea but I have a playroom with no tv so it wouldn't work for me.

hectors house
29-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Thanks for this idea but I have a playroom with no tv so it wouldn't work for me.

Maybe CBeebies on your laptop or ipad? I once had a child who was 13 months and hadn't settled at Nursery, Nursery suggested sending him to a childminder instead - I asked mum what his favourite programme was, she said "Night Garden" so I recorded it (as it wasn't on at right time) and as soon as she left I pressed "Play" and he stopped crying, we didn't need to watch whole programme as it is quite long.