PDA

View Full Version : Help Ofsted - terrible visit DBS

Anon2018
22-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Hi all,

I will keep this as brief as possible.

I have just been suspended as a childminder due to my childs DBS check (just turned 16) bringing up drug use (cannabis) and taking non prescribed medication in the past. The latter was a long while back but obviously it’s been found somewhere.

They have told us that the suspension is because they feel he is not suitable being in the house, hence a risk to the children. None of the issues about were brought up by any arrests, or cautions.

We have proposed that X is taken off the premises prior to any child’s arrival and not to return until the last child has left. X will be driven away and picked up. They haven’t said either way yet but would this be an acceptable alternative to Ofsted?

The way see it is that if X isn’t at the premises X can’t be classed as unsuitable to be in the household with the children?
The investigation has only just started but I hope this would be ok?

moggy
23-01-2018, 01:21 PM
That sounds like an awful situation- I'd contact your EY team at your LA to ask for support, if you're Pacey member try phoning their advise line. I hope you resolve it soon xx

FussyElmo
23-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately part of your suspension may be because of a failure to notify them of the incidents. I'm wondering if social services/police were involved and it's flagged up on the dbs.

It may be that once Ofsted investigate you may not need the waiver of your son being off the premises.

Good advice from moggy about la support.

I hope all is resolved quickly for you

Kiddleywinks
23-01-2018, 04:24 PM
How awful for you :panic:

As Fussy pointed out, it's possible the suspension has more to do with not informing Ofsted of 'a significant event' than the antics of a minor.
It has happened previously where a registered person has been able to obtain a waiver for a family member, subject to Ofsted's investigative findings of course, but given his age, it not being an offence against a child, and presuming of course that your DS has resolved his behaviour, I would think/hope they will see sense and allow you to resume your registration asap x

Anon2018
23-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes I think you may be right that it is partly due to me not reporting. The only reason I hadn’t is on all occasions I was told the issue wasn’t regarded as serious.

What I will say is the police have been involved as he was in a public place when he was smoking and his doctor will know about his non prescription taking as informed them.
I also self referred to Social but I doubt this was what triggered it as it was 2’days later that Ofsted turned up.
I had a meeting today with Social and they spoke with X. SS said that they have concerns of X around children, they are not worried at all that X is still taking non-presc meds and that although he says he still has cannabis every now and again he wants to stop so SS contracted CGL who visit tomorrow.

We have however had an email from Ofsted that our proposal above would not be a table as it would t be fair on X being barred from the house during the times the mindee’s are present. As it stands if the refuse to reinstate we will be homeless anyway!

I don’t quite understand this waiver some of you mention?

Thanks, it’s only been 3 days ands it awful seeing the kids at school and seeing there parents having to be late at work taking them. I guess it won’t be long before they all start to terminate their contracts :(

Anon2018
25-01-2018, 12:18 PM
That should read (sorry was typing on my phone) that SS say they are NOT concerned about X being around children at all, of any age.

sarah707
25-01-2018, 09:51 PM
A colleague had a similar problem and her son went to live with dad (they were separated) - this allowed her to continue childminding.

However, it took a while to resolve... and she self-reported.

I hope it works out quickly for you. Hugs x

Anon2018
27-01-2018, 12:15 AM
As far as I can tell, all the signs look ok. Every single “agency” we have had contact with since have said there shouldn’t be a problem. It might just mean that Ofsted pay more regular visits. We are fine with that as we received a strong “good” just a month before and outstanding in 2 areas.

It also seems to have given X a wake up call and he’s been amazing the last 7 days, even better than a normal teenager, so, despite it causing me stress, loss of income and embarrassment it might be a blessing in desguise for X in the fact that they can’t just go around doing what they want in life!

I’ll keep you all posted how we get on, it might be a good reference point for anyone else going through this terrible occourance. CGL have seen X and said they aren’t worried at all.

One thing is that every single parent has been supportive and all have said they’d rather be late for work than find someone else so hopefully it can be sorted quickly. But won’t be holding my breath!

Kiddleywinks
08-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Keeping everything crossed for you, and hey, every cloud and all that with DS ;)

Hope everything is sorted quickly

Anon2018
01-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Just to update and "pretty much" close.

We are back up and running however it has been on the condition that our teenager is not on the premises at all!
He is now living with family 24/7 until ofsted are happy that he isn't a "threat".
We are working with SS and CGL and they are both happy but ofsted want assurance. How can we possibly give this.

So basically the teenager could be away from us for a couple of weeks or months! We have no idea how long.

In conclusion, if there is a dependent who has been in contact with any form of drugs they will no longer be allowed on your premises and you WILL be suspended until they leave.

A silver lining is that every single one of our children have come back to us, all the parents have been so supportive and most wanted to contact ofsted directly to complain, but we advised against this.

mumofone
01-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Just to update and "pretty much" close.

We are back up and running however it has been on the condition that our teenager is not on the premises at all!
He is now living with family 24/7 until ofsted are happy that he isn't a "threat".
We are working with SS and CGL and they are both happy but ofsted want assurance. How can we possibly give this.

So basically the teenager could be away from us for a couple of weeks or months! We have no idea how long.

In conclusion, if there is a dependent who has been in contact with any form of drugs they will no longer be allowed on your premises and you WILL be suspended until they leave.

A silver lining is that every single one of our children have come back to us, all the parents have been so supportive and most wanted to contact ofsted directly to complain, but we advised against this.

So great that your parents have all come back, real testament to you :-) XX

Kiddleywinks
04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
So pleased to hear your parents have been supportive, all too often we seem to hear of negative reactions from parents when their provider has problems/issues to deal with.
Saddened to learn that your son isn't able to live at home, but hopefully this will be a drastic wake up call for him, and he not only receives the support he needs to stop, but is also able to maintain his sobriety.
With regards to assurances to Ofsted, I'll admit I have no idea how you will be able to provide what they want.
I guess if you keep them updated with how he's doing, regular reports from other agencies (SS/CGL etc) there will come a time when he's deemed 'better' by the almighty O, and life can resume again maybe.

Good luck with it all x