PDA

View Full Version : Ratio question for under 5s

emmas
27-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Good morning,

I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas. I am very confused about ratios. I have a 4 year old preschooler who comes to me 3 mornings a week from 8am to 8.45am when I drop him to preschool, which he attends 3 full days per week. I am very confused about the ratio advice, does he count as one of my 3 under 5s on those mornings, or Does he count as a before school child, allowing me to use his space for another under 5, taking my under 5s upto 4, but not exceeding 6 under 8 years? I know this isn’t explained very well!

I’m just getting a little fed up of wasting one of my 3 preschool places on a child who spends 2 hours 15 minutes with me per week, and I’m finding it impossible to find anybody to fill that space after 9am, everybody wants an earlier start.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Emma

FussyElmo
27-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Yes for those 45 minutes he counts as an under 5.

emmas
27-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Yes for those 45 minutes he counts as an under 5.

Thanks that’s what I thought. What I don’t understand is why a child taking their 30 funded hours at preschool can be cared for before or after school as wraparound care, and cared for at the same time as 3 others under 5 years, but it doesn’t say you can do the same if they are taking 15hours with parent top ups, this little one does 3 days from 8.45am to 5.45pm, so long full days.
I find all this so confusing! :(

moggy
27-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Good morning,

I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas. I am very confused about ratios. I have a 4 year old preschooler who comes to me 3 mornings a week from 8am to 8.45am when I drop him to preschool, which he attends 3 full days per week. I am very confused about the ratio advice, does he count as one of my 3 under 5s on those mornings, or Does he count as a before school child, allowing me to use his space for another under 5, taking my under 5s upto 4, but not exceeding 6 under 8 years? I know this isn’t explained very well!

I’m just getting a little fed up of wasting one of my 3 preschool places on a child who spends 2 hours 15 minutes with me per week, and I’m finding it impossible to find anybody to fill that space after 9am, everybody wants an earlier start.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Emma

Unfortunately this is why I would not do those hours, it blocks one of my EYFS places : ( Not good for the families who need these kind of hours.

FussyElmo
27-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Thanks that’s what I thought. What I don’t understand is why a child taking their 30 funded hours at preschool can be cared for before or after school as wraparound care, and cared for at the same time as 3 others under 5 years, but it doesn’t say you can do the same if they are taking 15hours with parent top ups, this little one does 3 days from 8.45am to 5.45pm, so long full days.
I find all this so confusing! :(

Unfortunately to be able to extend our numbers for a 3 year old they have to be attending a school nursery and taking the full 30 hours.

From a business pointbofvview you have to determine if this child is right for your business especially if you are turning business away

emmas
28-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately to be able to extend our numbers for a 3 year old they have to be attending a school nursery and taking the full 30 hours.

From a business pointbofvview you have to determine if this child is right for your business especially if you are turning business away

Your right, I might need to rethink the situation it worked to start off, but now I am looking to fill my spaces, it’s a real hindrance, at the end of the day I’m running a business, but I hate to change things that aren’t broken so to speak. Thanks all x