PDA

View Full Version : Wetting at 4

louise
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi, This isn't a mindee but my son. He still has accidents, today he wet himself 4 times. Once just before bed on the sofa when he had no pants on. Don't get me wrong he can go a few days without one but then we have days like today. He starts school in sept and i know i'm still going to have to send in spare clothes for him.

He took his time on using the potty, i had to speak to the hv about it. I ended up doing the feb half term 2 months before he was 3.

Has anyone got any advice? We have tried the star chart but he get bored. I am forever reminding him as i know 'the look' of when he wants to. Sometimes he just point blank refuses to and i have to carry him up.

Lou

emmadines
11-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi, This isn't a mindee but my son. He still has accidents, today he wet himself 4 times. Once just before bed on the sofa when he had no pants on. Don't get me wrong he can go a few days without one but then we have days like today. He starts school in sept and i know i'm still going to have to send in spare clothes for him.

He took his time on using the potty, i had to speak to the hv about it. I ended up doing the feb half term 2 months before he was 3.

Has anyone got any advice? We have tried the star chart but he get bored. I am forever reminding him as i know 'the look' of when he wants to. Sometimes he just point blank refuses to and i have to carry him up.

Lou

If it helps I know how you are feeling! My son still wets! I keep getting people trying to reassure me that they will stop when they are ready and it’s a "boy thing"

He's now 6, 7 in Feb. he still, does it sometime we will have dry days, sometimes we will have wet ones. It drives me nuts with frustration as I know he knows when he needs to go.

all I can suggest is to talk to his teacher (can guarantee you that he wont be the only one who does it) although you will feel like he is!

they wont really do anything normally till they are 7 years:censored: .

Wiggly
11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know what to suggest but my son has just finished Year R and I know he had a couple of children in his class that did still wet. Teachers handled it very respectfully, never made a big issue of it but did have meetings with the parents to try to help overcome the matter.

Good luck hun - I'm sure it will settle.

Wiggly
x

louise
11-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Thank you, It always been a thing with me as MIL was insiting we start at 18 months! Hubbie gets very frustrated. Like your son Emma he knows when he needs to go. I feel like im forever saying do you need the toilet?
I thought it might be 7. That silly.

I'll have a word with his teacher when she visits next month.

Lou

LisaH
11-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Same thing happened with my youngest when he started reception. He knew he needed to go but was far to busy with other things to bother!!
After a couple of months it stopped and hasnt happened since.

His teachers didnt make a big deal out of it so it must be fairly common. Try not to worry, I'm sure he will grow out of it soon. Easy for me to say tho, sorry.:)

Noodles
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
My little one is havng problems. She was fine and dry until a bad kidney infection. The have seen her at hospital and she has had 2 kidney scans but they now say i just have to give it time to retrain her bladder. Some days she is dry others she wets 3 or 4 times.
she still has urine and kidney infections regularly and is on antibiotics at the moment
It may be worth talking to the gp just incase there is any underlying problems

emmadines
11-08-2008, 07:45 PM
At my doc's you can just go in and ask for a test to be done at the reception (it’s only a dip test but if n e thing is there it would show up on that!!) I don’t know if other docs are like that!

brillminder
11-08-2008, 07:48 PM
i agree ask for a test, but dont stress your self send hime spare kit in pe bag, good luck X

louise
11-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I did take him to the Dr last year about it as i really noticed the difference between him and his friends with him. He wet himself several times aswell as me running to a tree( we were in the park) nothing showed up Dr said he could of had one that had cleared up.

Lou

emmadines
11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
its possible!

its very frustrating, i know!! they will get there if not we get get help!

tulip0803
11-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Boys do tend to have accidents later than girls. Sometimes it is that they are too busy or engrossed in what they are doing to realise until it is too late. Working at the Family Centre there have been several children that are still having accidents at 4 or 5, it is still common particulaly if they are busy playing.

Do not stress about it as it is normal, just send him to schol with extra clothes and do not make a fuss about it to him otherwise you could worry him which could make it worse. Speak to the teacher and explain that it occasionally happens. It may happen more when he first starts as he may be too busy or worried or it may have the complete opposite affect and he will go with the other boys and not have problems.

angeldelight
12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I agree with Julia

Hope things work out and im sure he will stop soon

Angel xx

Minstrel
12-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi,
my son does not have this problem but the school he is about to start are very good about accidents as are most.
we have already signed a permission form (we all know everything needs one!!!) to have him changed as they recognise it goes on a lot more than we think. he certainly will not stand out and perhaps when he gets in a routine there and goes to the toilets with friends it will become a 'big boy' thing to do and he wont be bored by the whole thing!

Good luck x

Polly2
12-08-2008, 12:16 PM
We still have this problem too and my son is 6.

Sometimes he also soils. docs have checked him out but won't do anything until he is 8 :eek:

It does get me down especilly when mindees come to me clean and dry at 2.5 or 3 but all kids are different aren't they?

Hopefully he will grow out of it soon x

EllieF
12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I care for a couple of boys afterschool that still have accidents, and apparently its quite common with boys - they are both aged 6.
One gets very upset about it as mum shouts at him about it, (I am very gentle with him, taking him into my bathroom away from the others so that he can change, and telling him not to worry, its just an accident) but the other one says nothing and isn't really bothered, its me taking him to one side because he smells that persuades him to change or he would just leave it.
I haven't got any helpful suggestions, but just wanted you to know that its not unusual.
This is the first time I have come across it, but i do care for more older children now than I ever have before
Ellie

louise
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Thank you everyone.. Its nice to know im not the only one. He wet 3 times today. Its getting so frustrating . I think it maybe getting to me more as the weather is giving migranes. He is also being a pickle at the mo and not listening to me, which is rubbing off on mindee.