PDA

View Full Version : survived my 1st day as a childminder

samgeordie
11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
well my 1st mindee was with me 9.30-1.30 today and it was fine. My little girl played well with her, and she wolfed all her lunch up too. She is back tomorrow afternoon and Ive also got a settling in visit for my other mindee too.

At the moment I feel like I should be constantly interacting with the mindee and doing activities, is this normal or am I allowed to sit down with a cuppa occasionally;)

Guess we will all get into a routine once school and nursery go back later next week.

Wiggly
11-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't know how old your mindee is but I do feel it is important for children to be able to play alone and discover things as well as interaction. Gives you a chance to do observations and you can't give all your time to one child when you have lots of mindees. As long as child is content and happy playing with whatever you have given them then I dont' see why it is a prob to have a cup of tea.

Ummm, not much help really am I. Hard to explain what I'm trying to say.

Wiggly
x

Pudding Girl
11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Think it's safe to say we all start off being totally idealistic and 100% active but it's simply impossible to maintain that level, after a few weeks you'll calm down and feel more secure and able to put your feet up with a cuppa for a bit - remember all other jobs get designated breaks, whereas we don't ;)

katickles
11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to say that I'm really glad your first day went well!

Like you say, you will slip into a routine before you know it, probably won't even notice at first :)

I agree with wiggly, that children need time to play on there own, so i'm sure you are doing areally good job! - Well Done again x

2kidsunder5
11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Well done you on getting through your first day :)

I agree with what has bene said - I certainly thought that I should be doing everything with the kids at first :) I am all for free play as it enables them to explore and become independant (spelling !!) and it gives you time to get on with some paperwork or obs (as well as a cuppa and a chockie biccy)

Hope all goes well for you with you new ones.

Diane xx

Mollymop
11-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I am glad your first day went well I hope it carries on and good luck with the settling in session.

When I started minding in May I felt guilty if I sat down and looked on the forum, or did the washing up, etc, i thought I should be playing with them all the time. But because my mindees are over 3 they enjoy playing together with out me, so while they are having free play I let them get on with it.
It might be a bit different when my new 14 month old starts in September, i am sure then I won't be able to relax at all during session

sarah707
11-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I make sure I take a couple of short breaks during the day - I'd be worn to a frazzle if I didn't!

You cannot maintain 100% attention and interaction ... and it's not good for the children.

Well done for your 1st day! :D

Paula J
11-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Well done on your first day

If it helps when I first started I made a cup of tea and snack time or quiet times etc and drank and chatted to the children.

As for now my cuppa comes before most things and the kids know it and even mimi-moke saying "when I have had my cuppa!" All kids need to learn to play together and playing without adult interaction is very important so do your job make a cuppa and let them play!!!!

Once again glad your first day went well:clapping: Paula X

caza
11-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Well done to you for surviving your first day as a childminder:clapping:

emmadines
11-08-2008, 06:20 PM
well my 1st mindee was with me 9.30-1.30 today and it was fine. My little girl played well with her, and she wolfed all her lunch up too. She is back tomorrow afternoon and Ive also got a settling in visit for my other mindee too.

At the moment I feel like I should be constantly interacting with the mindee and doing activities, is this normal or am I allowed to sit down with a cuppa occasionally;)

Guess we will all get into a routine once school and nursery go back later next week.

My thoughts exactly..................... I just completed my 1st day as official childminder (I’ve helped friends on the odd occasions) I feel completely zoned out now though..................:blush

Lou
11-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Well done on your first day, glad it went well.

Remember free play i important too.

I agree with what has been said x

LisaH
11-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Well done on your first day, sounds like it went really well.:)

Dont feel guilty about having a cuppa and a rest! The kids will be happy playing and exploring without you. Lol :)