PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling it atm

lacuna
27-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Hi All,

Bit of a downer for my first post - I've been working as a childminder since Jan (registered since Oct). Somewhere over the summer I've really lost my motivation, I'm not sure of the main reason but I'm starting to really not like working out of my house for ten hours a day. I'm really missing having adult conversation, having a job where I'm not clearing up something every ten minutes or actually having a lunch break.

I've been told this week that one of my fav little lads will be leaving in Feb and its really thrown me into a funk. Its ages away but has really affected me. I feel like I've managed to trap myself in a job I should enjoy but am not. I'm just about keeping up with the paperwork and planning but feel like I'm surviving day to day. My nerves seem to be getting shorter day by day and generally just not very happy with things.

I'm finally getting a day off a week from the half term holiday which I'm hoping will help but am feeling like finding a job again sooner rather than later. Can anyone help with helping get my mojo back?

sarah707
30-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Sometimes we get so busy that we forget to look after ourselves.

What do you do for time off? Do you spend time looking after you?

We work hard - we need to play too :D

Maza
30-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Can you pinpoint some of the specific things which are getting you down? I know it's usually a combination of things but if you could just make a few tweaks it could help. Clearing up every ten minutes - are you planning too many messy activities? Or making meals/snacks more complicated than they need to be? Do you have too many toys available which end up creating a mess?

The lack of adult company can be a challenge. If you can't incorporate it into your childminding day then it really is important to be proactive in making it happen some evenings/weekends/your day off. Coming on here really helps too!

loocyloo
30-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Hi All,

Bit of a downer for my first post - I've been working as a childminder since Jan (registered since Oct). Somewhere over the summer I've really lost my motivation, I'm not sure of the main reason but I'm starting to really not like working out of my house for ten hours a day. I'm really missing having adult conversation, having a job where I'm not clearing up something every ten minutes or actually having a lunch break.

I've been told this week that one of my fav little lads will be leaving in Feb and its really thrown me into a funk. Its ages away but has really affected me. I feel like I've managed to trap myself in a job I should enjoy but am not. I'm just about keeping up with the paperwork and planning but feel like I'm surviving day to day. My nerves seem to be getting shorter day by day and generally just not very happy with things.

I'm finally getting a day off a week from the half term holiday which I'm hoping will help but am feeling like finding a job again sooner rather than later. Can anyone help with helping get my mojo back?

Awww hugs.

It is hard, if you are not used to being on your own, (with selection of small children) to be on your own all day every day. My DH can always tell when I haven't left the house as I chew his ear off when he comes home! I try to make sure that every day I get out for a walk, to the park, feed the ducks or even just the school run. I try and meet up with friends or go to toddler groups or even go to local coffee shop and find some random strangers to talk to! I find coffee shops usually have a talkative 'granny' that brightens up my day. (Garden centres are also good places to visit!)

By going out, there is less to tidy up at home, and I do restrict what is available!

Can't help with a lunch break I'm afraid but I've been either a nanny or childminder for more than 25 years, so can't remember what one of those is!

Cut back on your planning and paperwork and spend a few days/ weeks just doing what you enjoy.

Make sure you have activities that you enjoy doing FOR YOU when you are not working and take time to rest.

Take care xx

Ellisha
30-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Hi All,

I feel like this sometimes and especially the first 6 months of so of childminding. I found meeting some other nice childminders really helped. Getting out if the house is a bug thing for me - just a walk to splash in puddles or a trip to the shop! I have one day off a week and it makes such a difference. My little boy has just started in reception but before that we had 2 days a week where it was just the two of us so we could do as we pleased and he didn't have to share his toys. I also make sure I get sometime to myself outside of work. I have taken up running which really clears my head and gives me a break from childminding and my own kids. Remember to look after yourself.

FloraDora
30-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Just airing your feelings I hope has helped. You are not on your own, lack of adult company has often been mentioned on here, there are already good ideas offered.
I walked out every day and tended to just pass and occasionally stop to pass the time of day with the same people and it did help that you had said hello and fussed a dog with another adult.

I was fairly routine oriented and so after lunch those that needed it had a nap and the older children had quiet on their own time. They had a box of activities, quiet ones, that they played / completed...called the quiet time boxes. The children helped to create it and we changed the contents once a fortnight or so, depending on how many days they were with me or the contents. I was lucky enough to have a bedroom for each child so when they stopped napping they went up as usual but played in their room...I had a rocking chair on the landing, their doors were open so that they could interact with me if they wanted, but they rarely did. I then had time for an after lunch coffee, started diaries and took time to go to the loo and take a breath on my own. I then would go in with the older child and usually do prep for school activities one to one. We always stayed upstairs for the hour whilst LO’s napped so I could keep my eyes and ears on them, as they got older they just accepted this was the routine...it gave the older ones some resting time too...the activities were not challenging.
The afternoon then was usually a happy time as we had all taken some rest time, I felt refreshed too.
This routine helped me cope with the no break in the day role.

BallyH
01-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Please try not to be so hard on yourself. Make your day easier. Sit and think about the things that annoy/upset you. The mess that you feel you're always clearing up, what is creating the mess? Too many toys at once, then limit the choice. Teach the children to tidy up before the next box is taken out. Snack/lunch contents on the floor then provide things that don't crumble so much or put a big plastic sheet under that part of the table that you can lift off and shake out afterwards. Continually review your day to see how tomorrow could run smoother. And try to get out each day, a walk up and down the road with a pack of bubbles in your pocket is better than sitting indoors thinking you may cry in a moment. Please keep checking in here, the forum. We've all been through it. Best of luck.

trickiedickie
01-10-2017, 07:27 PM
When I first started, really for the first year/year and a half I didn't have any childminding friends. I found childminding a lonely job.

Gradually over the next couple of years I made some friends who were childminders. It has made the biggest difference to how I feel about the job. I feel so much happier in my job as I meet up with a friend or friends everyday, plus go to toddler groups too.

When I first started I would meet up with friends who had young children (though not childminder) maybe once or twice a week but it still didn't seem enough to make me happier. Over time I have started meeting my childminding friends nearly every day. You definitely need another adult to talk to (preferably one who understands the job) as much as possible.

The children love meeting up with my friends too as they get to play with other mindees.

Are there any childminding groups in your area? If so, keep going along to them and over time you will make friends and feel so much better. Also, toddler groups. I know some of them can be daunting the first few times you go but if you persevere you will begin to feel comfortable there and an opportunity to chat to other adults.

watford wizz
04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Hi lacuna just wondering how your doing?