PDA

View Full Version : PRE REGISTRATION VISIT

amigew
07-09-2017, 09:38 AM
hi everyone, I want to become the childminder. I have already send out all the documents to Ofsted, referees, gp references, done the first aid course and waiting for them to come for the pre registration visit.i held level 3
did anyone had that recently, what to expect, here are some of my concerns
-how to prepare the house, (ive got glass table, 2 sofas, lamps, small coffe table ) make as much space as possible? cover up all the sharp edges of the table, my kitchen is separate to the living room, do I need to buy the gate?can I have a plant in my living room, socket covers , any cables out of the way ,
do they check all the rooms or only the one children will be playing in?

- i have first aid kit, do i need to buy anything else
-im planning to buy the injurance the day before they turn up. im planning to use the app for all the documents and observation, to keep it paperless, do i need to buy this as well before they come ?

- are they checking your knowledge about the eyfs? or about the first aid course
-do i have to decide what age of children i will have , im still unsure if i will be doing pick up only or care for children under 1, as it really depends on the customers i will get,hard to predict that
-do they check if you have enough toys for the children ,

im jobless right now, and don't have money to buy anything, i had to borrow money for me to be able to cover the injurance fees, first aid course, and i need to pay for the app to have all the documentation in place

do i need things like potty, changing mat, cot bed if i tell them i might have babies in the house. my daughter is 8 years old and i no loger have these kind of things, i either need to buy them cheap or find someone who can give it away

please help me to be prepared as best as possible, this means everything to me, as I am desperate to start working as soon as they approve me.
thank you in advance

sarah707
09-09-2017, 05:54 PM
You need to ensure the house and garden are safe so you need to minimise risk - and yes you need lots of floor space the more the better... children need space to move around and they need to be able to get to resources and equipment and to play safely. You need to risk assess and consider what is safe and what changes you might want to make...

You don't need to buy insurance before Ofsted come out to see you - they might say 'no' and then you will have wasted money.

You don't need to know what children you will have until you get them! ... don't worry about that.

The inspector will check your knowledge of how to care for children of different ages and ask you lots of 'what will you do?' type questions... you will find the information the inspector will use here - page 15 onwards - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/616082/EY_and_childcare_reg_handbook.pdf.

I hope it goes well please let us know! :clapping:

moggy
09-09-2017, 06:43 PM
socket covers are not recommended:

Electricity - RoSPA (https://www.rospa.com/home-safety/resources/policy-statements/electricity/)
FatallyFlawed (http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/)

You do not need to wrap the house or the children in cotton wool- I have never covered corners and edges, but you need to risk assess yourself and be able to explain and justify your own decisions. House plants are fine, and lamps etc- we just have normal homes like anyone else... but look at it from a toddler angle, and think about how you keep children safe.

Find your local toy library- you can borrow lovely things, usually, for just a small joining fee- ask at your local family centre if you have one. I buy a lot from charity shops, from freecycle etc You do not need to spend much money. Some of the best toys are free- pine comes, cardboard boxes, tubes, conkers, water + paint brushes outdoors etc.

EYFS they will ask about, and safeguarding. They don't usually ask any first aid questions. Have your certificates ready and your id documents.

They may ask questions about all ages as you will be registered for all ages- you do not have to decide on an age group, you don't know what mindees you will get. So you don't need cots etc but you might be asked how you will let babies get the sleep you need- and you can explain.

They may ask how you will record accidents, how you will record medicines, how you will record attendance or want to see your safeguarding policy etc- so you need to be able to do that, or be able to explain how. What app are you using? Is there a free trial to get you started?

They can check any room or area indoors or out- in case you have something illegal/dangerous in a room etc! But you can explain what areas you are using and how you'll keep children out of areas you do not want them in.

My kitchen is open plan so children have free access, no gate! But I risk assess (no dangerous things in low cupboards etc).

Inspectors are quite human in my experience and are there to help get you registered, you can ask them questions, ask their advise. They can give you recommendations and helpful tips. And if you do not know the answer to a question, you can look things up- have the EYFS in front of you!, ask for them to phrase questions another way if you are unsure etc.

Good luck!