PDA

View Full Version : Childminding Mummy on you tube

mumofone
13-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Came across this lady on you tube and couldn't help wonder if she is on here?!

It's so interesting to see other settings, anyone else a childminding you tuber?:)

chris goodyear
14-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Why I Chose Childminding - Playroom Tour - In Home Child Care !! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VTt3aChEg&t=293s)

It's so interesting to see other settings, anyone else a childminding you tuber?:)

Looks great - I wish I had a spare room that size!

Dragonfly
14-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Gosh, I feel so inadequate now.☹️ Does so,so much. My playroom is half that size!

Lal
15-07-2017, 10:31 AM
It’s great if it works for her and mindees. I work with a "less is more" approach. I found that room very busy and overcrowded and too many bright colours. It wouldn't work for me, my family my mindees.

PS I don't have a playroom and use my lounge diner for working.

Dragonfly
15-07-2017, 02:12 PM
I reckon she is quite a big business . Not so much home from home setting. But if it works for her and her mother?.

Are you on this forum lady from you tube?

mumofone
15-07-2017, 07:57 PM
some more of her videos for anyone interested :-)

bunyip
16-07-2017, 06:39 AM
Gosh, I feel so inadequate now.☹️ Does so,so much. My playroom is half that size!

But your clients choose you because you are right for their children. Nothing else matters. :thumbsup:

childmindmummy
10-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Hey, thats me. Thank you for watching them. :)

childmindmummy
15-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Hey thats me, thanks for watching them. Feels so weird having a thread about me :blush:
Hope you like them xx

childmindmummy
19-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Why I Chose Childminding - Playroom Tour - In Home Child Care !! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VTt3aChEg&t=293s)

Hey thats me, ive tried a few time to reply to this thread but unsuccessful. Im new to the forum and have no idea what im doing haha.
Thanks for watching the videos i hope they are useful. I have a few more planned but haven't the time yet to film them. Theres a playlist with all my childminding videos.

Thanks again, its so weird having a thread about me haha
x

mumofone
21-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Hey thats me, ive tried a few time to reply to this thread but unsuccessful. Im new to the forum and have no idea what im doing haha.
Thanks for watching the videos i hope they are useful. I have a few more planned but haven't the time yet to film them. Theres a playlist with all my childminding videos.

Why I Chose Childminding - Playroom Tour - In Home Child Care !! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VTt3aChEg&list=PLlGBQ0DFXFGZuAGXfScN4RRQoyhVB8FnM)

x

AWWW!!! Hello!!! :)
I LOVE your videos......how long have you been childminding? Whereabouts are you based, i can't pinpoint your accent!

FloraDora
21-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Why I Chose Childminding - Playroom Tour - In Home Child Care !! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VTt3aChEg&list=PLlGBQ0DFXFGZuAGXfScN4RRQoyhVB8FnM)

x

Welcome ...it's easy here ....This forum is all about supporting each other.
We don't usually promote our businesses, I think there are some rules somewhere outlining this?
Your videos have seemed to have made a good variety of impacts on the wide range and experiences of childminders on here though.

childmindmummy
22-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Hey, ive been childminding since Nov 2011 with my mum and we have an assistant with another starting before Christmas this year, so super busy :) I was from liverpool but moved to devon a few years before we started childminding so my accent is very messed up haha one day i sound hard as nails the next a farmer :laughing:
Im hoping by doing youtube videos i can spend more time with my kids but at the way its going (very slow) its going to take a lot more to make any sort of money from it.
Is there any videos you would like to see?
I also have a facebook page under "A Childminding Mummy" xx

FloraDora
22-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Hey, ive been childminding since Nov 2011 with my mum and we have an assistant with another starting before Christmas this year, so super busy :) I was from liverpool but moved to devon a few years before we started childminding so my accent is very messed up haha one day i sound hard as nails the next a farmer :laughing:
Im hoping by doing youtube videos i can spend more time with my kids but at the way its going (very slow) its going to take a lot more to make any sort of money from it.

Have you checked that it is ok to promote your you tube site?
For your information:

FORUM RULES (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/questions-and-information-on-using-the-forum/106943-forum-rules.html)

Dragonfly
23-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Welcome childmindmummy. I liked your you tubes very much. But did think it was very nursery looking ( don't mean this in a rude way at all) have you thought of opening a nursery? I think you're be very good at it.Im old fashioned and like to see childminders as home from home,though with all the regulations nowadays ( I'm from days when registered with social services) every childminders home is becoming nurseryfied!!

mama2three
23-08-2017, 07:12 AM
Do you think so dragonfly?
I actually think its the opposite.
When i started out i had every poster , labelled boxes , notice boards...all a bit 'nursery' , but ive now relaxed and offer heuristic and natural play , lots of loose parts , and am very happy with the fact that my home now looks exactly like a comfortable home where children feel happy , relaxed and have lots of things to explore. If you look at the most innovative nurseries they are all trying to invoke a homely feeling..... i dont quite understand why childminders would change their environment when its the homeliness that is the selling point!

bunyip
23-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Do you think so dragonfly?
I actually think its the opposite.
When i started out i had every poster , labelled boxes , notice boards...all a bit 'nursery' , but ive now relaxed and offer heuristic and natural play , lots of loose parts , and am very happy with the fact that my home now looks exactly like a comfortable home where children feel happy , relaxed and have lots of things to explore. If you look at the most innovative nurseries they are all trying to invoke a homely feeling..... i dont quite understand why childminders would change their environment when its the homeliness that is the selling point!

Yes, but aren't the changes you have made more the result of your own experience and insight over time?

From what I see at CMs' premises, there's a growing trend towards 'nurseryfying' (wow, there's an ugly word) and I have to agree with Dragonfly that it appears to stem from over-regulation.

Historically, and inevitably (if I can slip in an extra adverb to my already poor writing style), the moment Ofsted got involved, childminding was set on a path in which 'education' became preeminent. I use the word 'education' very specifically here, and as a distinctly different term from 'learning'. Learning is value-free and socially/politically-neutral. Education always comes with an agenda; it is limiting, controlling and inherently polluted by the socio-political goals of those who organise it from the top down.

This trend is on the rise, as evidenced by increasing interference. Witness the imposition of ideas such as 'school readiness', 'home activity planning' (aka homework for babies/toddlers), and the blatantly politicised Prevent programme, something even Ofsted inspectres find deeply worrying and embarrassing to have to enforce.

Now lump this all in with that dreadful ideal of "professionalism". New (and some old) CMs measure themselves against goals which have very little to do with what tried and trusted 'old school' childcare was (and should be) about. Safe and happy children who learn what they find interesting and develop good, loving, trust-based relationships just don't count. They have to be 'achieving'. It isn't enough for them to be learning. They have to be learning the right things: targets set by Whitehall technocrats, according to an 'educational' agenda: all good preparation for school, where nothing matters unless it is meeting targets. If it can't be counted, then it doesn't count.

Within this framework, everything that looks like a nursery or tends towards school-centred 'education' is seen as 'right' and "very professional". Anything homely is seen as quaintly outdated, "unprofessional" and doesn't quite cut it.

The pressure is so great, I make no claim to being above it nor immune from its insidious influence. When I talk with CMs I pull them up for constantly referring to their "setting". I say, "why don't you call it your 'home'? Because that's what it is, and that's probably why your clients send their children to you." But I expect any search of my paperwork or forum posts would take less than five minutes to reveal a dozen examples of me hypocritically using the word "setting" too.

So, whilst I most definitely think your 'de-nurseryfication' is the right way to go, it has to be seen in the context of brave resistance to regulatory trends, rather than passively allowing yourself to be coerced by DofE-Ofsted. Don't take that the wrong way: I'm not accusing you of breaking the regulations. But the way things are now, I believe we have to tread a very hazardous pathway in which we simultaneously fiulfil and subvert the diktats of the Ofsted-DofE-Westminster triumvirate, if we are going to do right by the children/families.

bunyip
23-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Hey thats me, thanks for watching them. Feels so weird having a thread about me :blush:
Hope you like them xx

Thanks for the clips. I found them very interesting: some good ideas, plus some things on which I disagree (which is never a bad thing.)

I have to say I was wracking my brain to figure out where you're based, as you refer to a child "up in Kent" and the last time I looked you could only go "up" to Kent from the Pas de Calais. :D

Unfortunately, I had to watch one of the videos in two instalments. I was watching it initially in my local, having arrived too early on quiz night, and hastily turned it off when I realised from some comments that the video was attracting the wrong sort of attention. :(:eek::eek::(

bunyip
23-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Btw, as a hopefully constructive piece of criticism, I find it difficult to watch the videos that were filmed by a hand-held device (e.g. the one on paperwork). Don't know if it's just me, but it gives me a sort of motion-sickness, in the same way as a lot of computer games.

To put this in context, the videos are far better than most homemade how-to's I've seen on YouTube. :thumbsup:

Mouse
23-08-2017, 11:32 AM
I haven't had chance to watch any of the videos yet, but they sound interesting so I'll have to find the time.

I'm just amazed that at the first mention of Childminding Mummy on the forum, Childminding Mummy herself appears - brilliant!

mumofone
23-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Have you checked that it is ok to promote your you tube site?
For your information:

FORUM RULES (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/questions-and-information-on-using-the-forum/106943-forum-rules.html)

Sarah advertises her you tube videos and we all know of her website and e-books, i don't see how this is any different? For what its worth, It was me that posted the link to her site too not chilmindingmummy, this site is all about supporting eachother and our own individual ways of doing things, i think it's really interesting to see how other childminders work and in particular their settings because we don't usually get this opportunity - i think we should embrace it.

mumofone
23-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Do you mean give up childminding to vlog full time? I know of lots of people trying to do this (not childminders!). Its a world i know nothing about but i believe some make a decent income from it. You're certainly getting lots of views and subscribers - how many do you need to make a decent income dyou know?
I love the playroom tours, whats in the garden, toys used, typical days, whats for lunch that kind of thing.
You seem a complete natural on camera, its my worst nightmare!

mama2three
23-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Yes, but aren't the changes you have made more the result of your own experience and insight over time?

From what I see at CMs' premises, there's a growing trend towards 'nurseryfying' (wow, there's an ugly word) and I have to agree with Dragonfly that it appears to stem from over-regulation.

Historically, and inevitably (if I can slip in an extra adverb to my already poor writing style), the moment Ofsted got involved, childminding was set on a path in which 'education' became preeminent. I use the word 'education' very specifically here, and as a distinctly different term from 'learning'. Learning is value-free and socially/politically-neutral. Education always comes with an agenda; it is limiting, controlling and inherently polluted by the socio-political goals of those who organise it from the top down.

This trend is on the rise, as evidenced by increasing interference. Witness the imposition of ideas such as 'school readiness', 'home activity planning' (aka homework for babies/toddlers), and the blatantly politicised Prevent programme, something even Ofsted inspectres find deeply worrying and embarrassing to have to enforce.

Now lump this all in with that dreadful ideal of "professionalism". New (and some old) CMs measure themselves against goals which have very little to do with what tried and trusted 'old school' childcare was (and should be) about. Safe and happy children who learn what they find interesting and develop good, loving, trust-based relationships just don't count. They have to be 'achieving'. It isn't enough for them to be learning. They have to be learning the right things: targets set by Whitehall technocrats, according to an 'educational' agenda: all good preparation for school, where nothing matters unless it is meeting targets. If it can't be counted, then it doesn't count.

Within this framework, everything that looks like a nursery or tends towards school-centred 'education' is seen as 'right' and "very professional". Anything homely is seen as quaintly outdated, "unprofessional" and doesn't quite cut it.

The pressure is so great, I make no claim to being above it nor immune from its insidious influence. When I talk with CMs I pull them up for constantly referring to their "setting". I say, "why don't you call it your 'home'? Because that's what it is, and that's probably why your clients send their children to you." But I expect any search of my paperwork or forum posts would take less than five minutes to reveal a dozen examples of me hypocritically using the word "setting" too.

So, whilst I most definitely think your 'de-nurseryfication' is the right way to go, it has to be seen in the context of brave resistance to regulatory trends, rather than passively allowing yourself to be coerced by DofE-Ofsted. Don't take that the wrong way: I'm not accusing you of breaking the regulations. But the way things are now, I believe we have to tread a very hazardous pathway in which we simultaneously fiulfil and subvert the diktats of the Ofsted-DofE-Westminster triumvirate, if we are going to do right by the children/families.

I do see where you're coming from bunyip , but no , I don't feel I'm resisting regulatory trends at all , in fact I do make sure that all the hoops are jumped through....and doing that in a largely Reggio fashion is seen by some as 'just another trend' . I feel that I tick the boxes , I teach , I just use slightly different methods. Experience and insight may have played a part , certainly my confidence has grown when I read posts from flora or loocyloo or other likeminded and wonderful childminders who haven't got nursery style set up but still provide fantastic learning experiences. The best childminders listen to the regulations and find a way to jump through ofsted hoops whilst keeping childhood as wonderful as it ever was. I don't claim to be one of them, but am certainly inspired by them.

bunyip
24-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Do you mean give up childminding to vlog full time? I know of lots of people trying to do this (not childminders!). Its a world i know nothing about but i believe some make a decent income from it. You're certainly getting lots of views and subscribers - how many do you need to make a decent income dyou know?
I love the playroom tours, whats in the garden, toys used, typical days, whats for lunch that kind of thing.
You seem a complete natural on camera, its my worst nightmare!

IIUC making a realistic living from YouTube is limited to a tiny number of the very top Minecraft vloggers. I gather you need something in the region of ten thousand subscribers/followers before you begin to attract some advertisers who'll pay a couple of hundred £s a month if you have a high enough number of views.

bunyip
24-08-2017, 06:59 AM
I do see where you're coming from bunyip , but no , I don't feel I'm resisting regulatory trends at all , in fact I do make sure that all the hoops are jumped through....and doing that in a largely Reggio fashion is seen by some as 'just another trend' . I feel that I tick the boxes , I teach , I just use slightly different methods. Experience and insight may have played a part , certainly my confidence has grown when I read posts from flora or loocyloo or other likeminded and wonderful childminders who haven't got nursery style set up but still provide fantastic learning experiences. The best childminders listen to the regulations and find a way to jump through ofsted hoops whilst keeping childhood as wonderful as it ever was. I don't claim to be one of them, but am certainly inspired by them.

Purely my own observations, and possibly I'm over-generalising, but I find the nursery-style CM tends to be:

Relatively young.
Recently registered.
Ambitious, keen to have lots and lots of minders.

After a while, some seem to take stock and opt to tone it all down a bit towards the homely, whilst others go the whole hog and start looking to open a nursery for real.

childmindmummy
24-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Hey, so we decided to build a room on the back of my house for the childminding. My own children use it too over the weekends and when everyone has gone home so it was just personal preferences on what we wanted from being a childminder.
I understand some people might disagree with some of the things we do but again personal preference. Theres no right or wrong i just want to show what we do.
We call ourselves a setting because its a different room from our house if it was in my living room i would probably called it my home.
Hoping to upgrade my camera phone to a real camera soon but they are a lot of money i don't have at the moment with paying for a wedding. But hopefully that will sort out the shaky camera work (sorry) x
No i don't want to give up childminding fully, just have another day with my kids would be nice. Also as my kids grow i want to swap from under 5's to after schoolers.
To make a decent income from youtube you need a few thousand views on each video you post. With mine only in the 100's im not making near enough to drop a day of childminding.
I wouldn't want to open a nursery only on the fact i like to be at home, i think ive gained some anxiety from having kids and i enjoy being at home and going on trips out whenever i want with the children. I feel being in a nursery i would have to be there 5 days a week, 8-4 maybe later. Thats not for me i don't think x

snortlet
24-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Purely my own observations, and possibly I'm over-generalising, but I find the nursery-style CM tends to be:

Relatively young.
Recently registered.

After a while, some seem to take stock and opt to tone it all down a bit towards the homely, whilst others go the whole hog and start looking to open a nursery for real.

I am guilty of this. Registered at 23 with every plastic toy known to man! Now 14 years in and much more home from home/less is more. Enjoying open ended and loose parts play. You grow and gain confidence and learn what works best in your own set up.

FussyElmo
25-08-2017, 10:03 AM
I have removed the links to the youtube channel as it is against the forum rules.

I do appreciate they were posted in good faith but since you now on the forum promoting the link yourself childmindmummy they do need a link to the forum before being allowed. Which Im sure you understand :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
25-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I haven't had chance to watch any of the videos yet, but they sound interesting so I'll have to find the time.

I'm just amazed that at the first mention of Childminding Mummy on the forum, Childminding Mummy herself appears - brilliant!

I believe there is a search engine that people can use to see while their bogs etc are being used :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
25-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Sarah advertises her you tube videos and we all know of her website and e-books, i don't see how this is any different? For what its worth, It was me that posted the link to her site too not chilmindingmummy, this site is all about supporting eachother and our own individual ways of doing things, i think it's really interesting to see how other childminders work and in particular their settings because we don't usually get this opportunity - i think we should embrace it.

Sarah provides the forum with a linkback - if childmindmummy does the same then her blogs etc can remain :thumbsup:

bunyip
25-08-2017, 01:16 PM
I believe there is a search engine that people can use to see while their bogs etc are being used :thumbsup:

:clapping:

Does this mean taking my laptop in the toilet?

Sorry...... couldn't resist. :D

childmindmummy
25-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Sarah provides the forum with a linkback - if childmindmummy does the same then her blogs etc can remain :thumbsup:

Hi i totally understand, what does a linkback mean?
Thanks

FussyElmo
25-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Hi i totally understand, what does a linkback mean?
Thanks

You put a link back to the forum :-)

childmindmummy
25-08-2017, 01:54 PM
You put a link back to the forum :-)

On my blogs or videos?

FussyElmo
25-08-2017, 03:14 PM
On my blogs or videos?

Any social media/websites you wish to share :-)

mumofone
25-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Relatively young.
Recently registered.

The more "nursery type" settings ive seen (what are we actually saying IS a nursery setting, do we actually know?!) have generally been run by older ladies (sorry if that sounds ageist or sexist but just what ive witnessed) or couples. They start of with 2 of them then employ assistants as time goes on.

mumofone
25-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Hey, so we decided to build a room on the back of my house for the childminding. My own children use it too over the weekends and when everyone has gone home so it was just personal preferences on what we wanted from being a childminder.
I understand some people might disagree with some of the things we do but again personal preference. Theres no right or wrong i just want to show what we do.
We call ourselves a setting because its a different room from our house if it was in my living room i would probably called it my home.
Hoping to upgrade my camera phone to a real camera soon but they are a lot of money i don't have at the moment with paying for a wedding. But hopefully that will sort out the shaky camera work (sorry) x
No i don't want to give up childminding fully, just have another day with my kids would be nice. Also as my kids grow i want to swap from under 5's to after schoolers.
To make a decent income from youtube you need a few thousand views on each video you post. With mine only in the 100's im not making near enough to drop a day of childminding.
I wouldn't want to open a nursery only on the fact i like to be at home, i think ive gained some anxiety from having kids and i enjoy being at home and going on trips out whenever i want with the children. I feel being in a nursery i would have to be there 5 days a week, 8-4 maybe later. Thats not for me i don't think x

especially with young children yourself, especially your baby daughter (congrats btw) you want to be at home not tied to a nursery, it crossed my mind to work in a nursery but as childminders i think we all know the benefits of working for ourselves at home with hours to suit us so i quickly shelved that idea! My Partner said "why on earth would you want to do that!"

Ive began thinking i would eventually like to drop the younger ones but im not keen on after schoolers!

I say "setting" now too, i cant even remember when i started saying it it just slipped in to my whole childminding spiel!

I am super interested in childminders who have branched out and taken on assistants etc - i think its really enterprising and it really interests me...can't explain why!

i think some people can be disparaging of anyone with a playroom and im not sure whats behind that thinking particularly but ive definitely notice it. I have one - its not massive but i dont think i would mind without one (just for me personally).