PDA

View Full Version : will this do for my 1st set of obs?????

emmadines
11-08-2008, 01:09 PM
11th august 2008

9.00 am. *****arrived for his 1st session at my setting. He happily came in and started to play with the Lego, along with my son.
****** built a spaceship, this encouraged use of his imagination, co-ordination and communication skills.

9.45 – 10.00am ****** and Jake played in the sand pit. They played with several different sand pit toys mainly the cars.

10.30 am Biscuit and orange juice.

10.45 – 12.15. Took the dog (Blue) out for a walk down the lane. ****** walked nicely alongside my son Jake. ****** and Jake did a lot of running and jumping over the pot holes. We also looked for some nice sized rocks so that we could paint them for messy play. I also explained that some cars sometimes drive down the lane there fore they need to listen for them.

12.30 – 13.30 Lunch, this consisted of cucumber, strawberries, cheese and scrambled egg with tortilla wraps. This encouraged healthy eating.

13.00 – 14.00 Messy play. The boys painted their rocks ****** painted his red and black. This encourages imagination, concentration

hows this sound for obs????

Annie_T
11-08-2008, 01:33 PM
sounds ok to me hun

12.30 – 13.30 Lunch, this consisted of cucumber, strawberries, cheese and scrambled egg with tortilla wraps. This encouraged healthy eating.

what was his reaction to this type of food? ..did he play with it due to textures etc .. just a thought hehe

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Sounds great! :)

How often will you be doing this? Couple times a month?
Will you put a corresponding photo of him eating/painting/walking etc.?

PaulaR
11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Is this an observation for EYFS or the diary? It looks to me like a cross between the two and as we haven't been given strict guidlines of how to present our obs it is entirely up to us.
I personally--- and this isn't by anyway the right way to do it, is keep a diary of what they do and eat without as much detail but then I would do one obs for one activity adn then only once a week or month, so you might do the same tomorrow, ie go on the walk but unless anything outstanding happens I wouldn't do another ob, just record it on the daily diary.

If I have got it all wrong and otehres do it differently, I'd love to hear?

emmadines
11-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Sounds great! :)

How often will you be doing this? Couple times a month?
Will you put a corresponding photo of him eating/painting/walking etc.?

I have actually put photo's alongside all those entries. that was just today. would that be too much then as that will be each day i have him.

emmadines
11-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Is this an observation for EYFS or the diary? It looks to me like a cross between the two and as we haven't been given strict guidlines of how to present our obs it is entirely up to us.
I personally--- and this isn't by anyway the right way to do it, is keep a diary of what they do and eat without as much detail but then I would do one obs for one activity adn then only once a week or month, so you might do the same tomorrow, ie go on the walk but unless anything outstanding happens I wouldn't do another ob, just record it on the daily diary.

If I have got it all wrong and otehres do it differently, I'd love to hear?

ive copied it into his daily diary but with out the "it encorages this and that". i also did it on the comp 1st while they free played, i wanted the spelling to be correct, then the printed copy gose in the file.

butterfly
11-08-2008, 02:03 PM
i do my observations a little differently for eyfs.

i choose an activity during the day - could be planned may be spontaneous and for 5/10 mins i write down exactly what the child did and said. this is how i was taught to do it when i trained to be an early years teacher. this gives a record of exactly what the child was able to do or say and gives pointers for what you might do next in his learning.

for example i observed a 2 yr old playing with a small world airport - 'flying' the planes in the air and making neeeowww noises! my next steps for this was to take him to the airport and show him the planes landing and taking off and visiting the cockpit.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi

There is a lot of content in your observation but no actual facts.

eg When he walked along holding hands - which hand did he use? You said he walked happily - how do you know this?

Your observations are great for a daily diary but I think that you are doing a lot on a daily basis.

My Obs training (hey who says it is what Ofsted want?) told me to pick a particular time to watch the child and observe what they ACTUALLY said and did. i.e. h took my left hand with his right and squeezed tightly, he them looked up and smiled at me...

Hope that helps

I am doing 1 observation per child per month.

Debbie

butterfly
11-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi

There is a lot of content in your observation but no actual facts.

eg When he walked along holding hands - which hand did he use? You said he walked happily - how do you know this?

Your observations are great for a daily diary but I think that you are doing a lot on a daily basis.

My Obs training (hey who says it is what Ofsted want?) told me to pick a particular time to watch the child and observe what they ACTUALLY said and did. i.e. h took my left hand with his right and squeezed tightly, he them looked up and smiled at me...

Hope that helps

I am doing 1 observation per child per month.

Debbie

that sounds more like mine. then i refer to the ages/stages bit in the eyfs and see what it goes with. this is often a good place to find the next step as well. i'm probably doing at least 2 per child per month plus sometimes i take a photo and put it in with a bit entitled 'what am i doing in this photograph' and then do next steps and links to eyfs. probably on average one per child per week but then i can only have 1 child in addition to my own so it's not that much work.

Mrs.L.C
11-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Dont make it hard work. Thats a good obs for a monthly one or daily diary to go home. Just little things that you may notice like, Tommy climbed the slide and went down it and smiled....1 liners just to show the child has achieved something or you did and activty and the child really enjoyed it and learnt alot from it like naming the colour blue...if that makes sence

emmadines
11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
This is it I don’t actually know what I do:panic: :panic: and don’t have to do with regards to the obs.:( I’ve not done the eyf's training yet as there is no spaces. plus I only have him for a bout 3 weeks then I’m onto the before and after schoolers.:panic:

NikNak
11-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I have had a meeting with an early years development worker and she has informed me that you only need to do 1 obs per child every half term. Along side this write a daily diary including the basics what they ate slept mood etc and take pics of everything they do and put them in a scrapbook to show the childrens development and proof of what you all get up to. This is more than enough to impress Ofsted. x

Raggydolls
11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
correct me if im wrong but doesnt sarahnev have some ebooks to help u with this

leanne
xx

Mrs.L.C
11-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Obs are a pain at first but once you get used to and know what to do to impress ofsted its easy....its taken me years to master it but now i keep forgetting to do them so I take lots of pics, put peices of the childs work in a scrap book type thing and then at least once a week i try to write some 1 line obs or when I see/hear that the child has done something i havnt seen/heard them do before and then I put these all into the areas they may come under from the 6 areas of the EYFS (split the scrap book into sections)

I call the longer ones narative obs and I write exactly what the child is doing for 5 mins (usualy in short habd then write it up, but you dont have to do this)